Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Snails, squid, moose, and whale blubber. Makes a lovely caserole.

I don't considered it weird really, but many people...especially those outside this region of the country....find it digusting.

What can I say? I love scrapple, specficially RAPA brand fried and served with homemade pancakes so that the syrup from the pancakes gets onto the scrapple....my favorite breakfast.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• is on the rocks

I've eaten rabbit (tastes like chicken)
    avocado pie - sounds weird, but tasted really good
    sea urchin - won't do that again - the texture was totally off-putting for me
    natto (fermented soybeans) - I tell ya, Japanese people eat some weird stuff!
    tripe, brain, liver, intestines, heart, tongue (all from beef)
    chicken feet
    Last edited by Spidergrrrl; 08-08-2006 at 10:07 PM.

• Just Me

Piki bread. A Native American traditional food. It's kind of like eating fried tissue paper.

Nopales. The leaves (pads?) of the prickley pear cactus, usually cut into strips and grilled. They taste kind of like green beans.

Beef tongue tacos. Very tender and delicious. I refused to sample the tacos made from cow brains or cow eyes.

Sea urchin. Probably one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted in my life!

Brunswick Stew. The version I had was made of several different wild game meats including bear, deer, elk, javelina, and rattlesnake. The meat all tasted the same due to many hours of cooking and plenty of ketchup in the recipie.

Octopus. I actually tried this by accident, the restaurant had very dim lighting. I didn't know it was octopus until I saw the suction cups on it. I'm glad I did, though. It's slightly chewy with a very delicate flavor, very good!

• Plastic Monkey

drank crazy stuff - arag, fermented horse mare milk, depending on the time of year is 6-11% proof! tastes like salad cream and vinegar!

foods, rabbit, wild boar (very tasty), crocodile nothing too crazy. want to try grasshoppers though
    We Play Rock and Roll

• up to no good

Sea urchins - Yuk!!! (first time trying to eat sushi)

Pigeon- When i was over seas visiting a friend they didnt tell me until after i took a bite I thought it was cornish hen.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl
    natto (fermented soybeans) - I tell ya, Japanese people eat some weird stuff!
    I need to brave this stuff someday....

I'm not sure what I'd say I've eaten that's weird. To me, ketchup on a chocolate chip cookie counts as normal.

I also eat a lot of Japanese foods.

So, I'm not sure what's weird anymore...
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Gizzards - My mother gets these from the store all the time. It's kinda chewy but tastes like a tough chicken. (go figure) lol

Frog legs - The best part about this was my boyfriend didn't know they were frog legs and was eating a whole mess of them before I said, "Wow, you really like those frog legs honey." His face turned green, literally, and he goes, "I thought they were small chickens."

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I need to brave this stuff someday....

I'm not sure what I'd say I've eaten that's weird. To me, ketchup on a chocolate chip cookie counts as normal.

I also eat a lot of Japanese foods.

So, I'm not sure what's weird anymore...
    True - one man's exotic is another man's commonplace. I noticed that raw tofu was mentioned here - I could eat that straight from the container. When you do try natto, let me know what you think. I could describe my experience for you but I don't want to prejudice you one way or another.

• For You!

It was a gross meat kind. It had some kind of pate - like stuff in it.

Here's the wikipedia definition:

Aspic is a dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatine, jelly-like substance made from a meat stock or consommé.
    When cooled, stock congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the meat. The stock can be clarified with egg whites, and then filled and flavored just before the aspic sets. Almost any type of food can be set into aspics. Most common are meat pieces, fruits, or vegetables. Aspics are usually served on cold plates so that the gel will not melt before being eaten. A meat jelly that includes cream is called a chaud-froid.
    Nearly any type of meat can be used to make the gelatin: beef, veal, chicken, or even fish. The aspic may need additional gelatin in order to set properly. Veal stock provides a great deal of gelatin, the meat that makes the stock is often cooked with veal for that reason. Fish consommés usually have too little natural gelatine, so the fish stock may be double-cooked or supplemented. Since fish gelatin melts at a lower temperature than gelatins of other meats, fish aspic will be more delicate and will melt more readily in the mouth.
    Historically meat jellies were made before fruit and vegetable jellies. By the Middle Ages at the latest, cooks had discovered that a thickened meat broth could be made into a jelly and could coat cooked meat to keep it from spoiling by sealing it from the air. A detailed recipe for aspic is found in Le Viandier, written in around 1375.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Hey, Frog legs are good!

So for me: Frog Legs, octopus (yes it is good), eel, have had squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, bear, pheasant, squirrel (my father loved to go hunting).
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

The two ingredients aren't weird alone, but they donít usually go together. Ever since I was a kid, I have eaten peanut butter on my hotdogs. That usually grosses people out, but it is totally normal for me.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_Disney
    Sea urchins - Yuk!!! (first time trying to eat sushi)

Pigeon- When i was over seas visiting a friend they didnt tell me until after i took a bite I thought it was cornish hen.
    OK, I see several people have single out sea urchin (uni). It's super-perishable and most of what you get in restaurants isn't very good. When it's fresh, the flavor is quite pleasant (the texture is still pretty off-putting for a lot of people). Once I had some very bad uni and couldn't bear to try it again for several years.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Banned User

Buffalo Burger, thats all!! I will never touch anything other then that. and squid, and snails, and oh my just thinking about it makes me ill

• Banned User

oh and I love macaroni, and can milk, butter and soy sauce. this is so good!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast