Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Food & Whine Aficianado

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

It has to be an actual food item, so elementary school paste and pencil erasers don't count. I'm a big food-geek, so I've had lots of weird stuff. Recently, I had fermented squid innards at a Japanese restaurant and that was pretty "challenging." One thing I couldn't eat was some lion jerky that a co-worker gave me (but I did try jerky made from camel, bear, elan and zebra). I gave a piece of lion to my cat and then chanted "Cannibal! Cannibal!" I actually find the slaughter of top-of-the-food-chain animals such as lions to be reprehensible, so please don't go all PETA on me. I normally wouldn't have eaten bear, either, but I justified it as payback for a bad encounter with a bear in the Sierras some years prior.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• horsin' around!

Re: What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

wow..your post seriously ruined my appetite! haha!
    my 'weird' doesn't even come CLOSE to your menu!
    but weird enough for me..
    okay...2 weeks ago in S.F. i tried snails for the first time...i actually liked them a lot but couldn't get myself to go for the 3rd one just knowing what it was.
    i also have had bbqued snake that my brother fed me...and yes..it did taste like chicken.
    goat brains
    pickled fish eggs.....seriously seriously gross!
    and gains burger....eaten on a dare!

• For You!

Aspic - yuck.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Quote Originally Posted by pixywingz
    wow..your post seriously ruined my appetite! haha!
    my 'weird' doesn't even come CLOSE to your menu!
    but weird enough for me..
    okay...2 weeks ago in S.F. i tried snails for the first time...i actually liked them a lot but couldn't get myself to go for the 3rd one just knowing what it was.
    i also have had bbqued snake that my brother fed me...and yes..it did taste like chicken.
    goat brains
    pickled fish eggs.....seriously seriously gross!
    and gains burger....eaten on a dare!
    Snails aren't weird. They're just mollusks like clams, conch, etc. And they're yummy!

Haven't tried gains burger, but I did try Science Diet dry puppy food when I worked at a pet shop. Not bad, actually.

Goat brains is pretty hardcore, however. Definitely Fear Factor worthy.

By the way, why is it that Americans will eat all sorts of hideous bug-like creatures if they live in water (crabs, shrimp, lobster), but if they're land-based (grasshoppers, scorpions, grubs) we get all grossed out? I'm in that category, too. I can't bring myself to eat insects, but I can eat a mountain of blue crab.
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• A Pirate's life for me!

Some years back, I was at my cousins 40th birthday party. They are farmers in the Valley.I was sitting there enjoying my screwdriver when my uncle came up to me with a small plate of golden brown fried things. They were kind of round, and looked good. He offered me some. I asked him what they were, and he told me to try them first, then he'd tell me. I knew whatever they were, that they wouldn't kill me, so I popped two into my mouth. I could only chew them a few times before I took a big swig of my drink to wash them down. I didn't care for the texture at all. Kind of rubbery, if you know what I mean.So I asked my uncle what they were. He said...TURKEY TESTICLES!!!!!!!Eeeewwwwwwww!!!No more for me!My uncle got a good laugh out of it!...Bless his soul.

• Minion

Rooster testicles. I'm not kidding...there must have been at least a dozen floating in the soup.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Some years back, I was at my cousins 40th birthday party. They are farmers in the Valley.I was sitting there enjoying my screwdriver when my uncle came up to me with a small plate of golden brown fried things. They were kind of round, and looked good. He offered me some. I asked him what they were, and he told me to try them first, then he'd tell me. I knew whatever they were, that they wouldn't kill me, so I popped two into my mouth. I could only chew them a few times before I took a big swig of my drink to wash them down. I didn't care for the texture at all. Kind of rubbery, if you know what I mean.So I asked my uncle what they were. He said...TURKEY TESTICLES!!!!!!!Eeeewwwwwwww!!!No more for me!My uncle got a good laugh out of it!...Bless his soul.

Wow. I can't believe we both ate testicles from poultry. Turkey ones must be considerably larger though....
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Aspic - yuck.
    OK, I know that I lead a sheltered life, but I have to ask...What is an Aspic???

• horsin' around!

"Snails aren't weird. They're just mollusks like clams, conch, etc. And they're yummy!"

sorry luv...but weird is in the slime of the beholder! they were DEFINIETLY weird to me! haha!

TDR Fan...Yes, they were a mouthfull!!! LOL

Wow you ate those? That's NUTS!
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

•   
    • debating what to put here

OK, I know that I lead a sheltered life, but I have to ask...What is an Aspic???
    Here is everything you ever wanted to know about aspic.

For myself, I think the stranger things have been pig ears, baby octopus, venison carpaccio, and brunswick (squirrel) stew. I found the octopus and venison to be very tasty. The squirrel and pig ears, not so much.

I'll try almost anything though.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Incognito

Blog Entries

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?
    Ummmm, this thread title sounds naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Aspic - yuck.
    Was it the meaty kind of aspic (like gelatin with bits of meat and veggies)or just basic beet or tomato "jello"? I think the name is much less appealing than the actual food.

I'm having fun with this thread. I had something really strange at a "mad scientist's" Chicago restaurant 2 weeks ago: Savory Dippin' Dots. It looked just like peas and carrots mixed veggies, but was actually super-frozen pea and carrot ice cream. It melted immediately in your mouth and tasted exactly like you'd expect it to (ie, not very good). I'll take real Dippin' Dots instead. We began our meal with an edible menu...it looked like a 5-inch by 2-inch cracker and had the whole 16-course printed on it (along with a personalized "Happy Birthday" greeting on it). Weird, but fun. Lest you call me a glutton, the 16 courses were each very small, so the whole volume of food was like a normal meal.
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Raw Tofu, like ewww

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast