Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

VC Fair MiceChat Meet (Well, There WERE Three Of Us)

It is said that, wherever two or more people of like mind are gathered in MiceChat's name...we can call it...a meet.

Okay, I'm the one who said it...

In all my glory, your intrepid trip reporter. I had to go a long way from my La Conchita estate for this one...all of about 15 miles to the place they call...Seaside Park...for the annual get-together...

"A Country Fair and Ocean Air" being the theme for this year's Ventura County Fair. The Fairgrounds are directly adjacent to the blue Pacific. A nice summer getaway for the L.A. crowd, and the locals like it too.

Not exactly a Disneyland crowd yet, but it got much busier later in the day...that's when my two friends that would make this a "meet" would show up. Til then, you know me and my camera...

This is the Magnum ride, with a likeness of Tom Selleck that I figured the ladies would like...and this is about as close as you'd ever catch me to getting on any one of those Midway rides...

I like to spend time in the Home Arts building, looking at all the different things people have made and entered. (Although she didn't have time to enter anything this year, Kathleen has won a lot of ribbons in the past for her needlepoint and cross-stitch entries. )

Take a look at this...made by a "developmentally challenged" member of what they call the Super Seniors...

This Mickey took 2nd place!!!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-09-2006 at 03:02 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: VC Fair MiceChat Meet (Well, There WERE Three Of Us)

Then it was on to the youth expo building. A quilt made by an 18-year old from Simi Valley certainly caught my eye. A couple of views here for her effort, with the character patches hand stitched, that won "best in show" honors...

The quilt was wrapped around a round post, so it was almost impossible to get a shot of the whole thing all at once! Very nice quilt work indeed though.

From there, it was on to the Floriculture building, where a local nursery had several rose displays, one of them labelled "Disneyland"...although I'm not quite certain why...

I mean the flowers were pretty and all but I still didn't catch the connection. Good thing at that point I found my fellow MiceChatters greeting me at the Fair, Tom Chaney and his friend Vic...

And their trusty steed.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-09-2006 at 02:57 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Okay, here's Tom Chaney and the lovely Vic, with this spontaneous, completely unrehearsed picture upon their arrival...

So this is a meet, they said. Where's the hub, they said. Where's the Walt and Mickey statue, they asked. Where's Dusty. Fishbulb. Crazylegs. Morrigoon.
    More importantly, where's the beer, they asked.

That one we had an answer for.

And suddenly, the answers to those other questions, seemed less important on a rather warm August Saturdat afternoon at the Ventura County Fair.

Tom, Vic and I had a great time together that afternoon. We spoke of everything from the problems plaguing DCA, to the many ways of enjoying MiceChat beyond debating whether Tomorrowland needs a new churro cart or not. And Vic just couldn't help but grab a pic of Tom's snazzy new wheels...

A true gentleman farmer who seemed right at home in the livestock area, to be sure.

Well, at least in the lemonade stand near the livestock building anyway.

As for Vic, she and I are both big fans of Big Bad VooDoo Daddy...and guess which band was headlining that night in the Grandstand arena that very night....

Yep, they couldn't believe we were having a MiceChat meet that night, either.

Well, as Vic and I sang along, as Tom looked on with pained expression, "It's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight..."

And lest we forget the other important things that make a county fair, a county fair...

And if you've never had the cinnamon rolls at the Ventura County Fair, well...we've got til next Sunday! Let's have another meet!

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-09-2006 at 03:01 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Totally awesome Barry!!! What great fun you guys must of had! And what great commentary!!
    Ooohhhh Big Bad Voodoo Daddy!!! I had one of their CD's... but it wandered out of my house and into my daughters apartment for some reason.... um.

Great report!! Thanks for sharing!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks Penguin! We had a good time...and I really enjoyed meeting Tom and Vic.

--Barry

• I'm your huckleberry.

Look like fun! We may be going out there tomorrow to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Look like fun! We may be going out there tomorrow to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited.
    We had a great time...and Tom and Vic were both very nice people...I hope they had a good time too...

--Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I see that your a real Party Animal. Those quilts were amazing. Thanks for using your camera once again to give us all such a wonderful report.

• insufferable know-it-all

Barry: who's performing Sunday?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    From there, it was on to the Floriculture building, where a local nursery had several rose displays, one of them labelled "Disneyland"...although I'm not quite certain why...
    Radiobarry, I have your answer. That rose is the Disneyland rose, the official rose of the Disneyland Resort. Check out these links.

http://www.cottagegardensofpet.com/rsdisneyland.htm

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A44202

From what I am reading on the internet it appears to be a new variety of Floribunda that was created for Disneyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

OK... here's PART 2 of the Ventura County Fair Meet Report..

Victoria and I were running a little late that morning and traffic northbound was heavy, but we finally made it to the fairgrounds around 2:30. By then we were very hungry so the first order of business was to find food! You can't beat a good bratwurst so that's what we got.

Vic and Barry enjoying their bratwursts and beer.

Down the hatch!

Another shot of that great old 1936 Dodge pickup

At the horse barns, we found huge Clydesdale and Percheron horses being meticulously groomed and hooked to fancy wagons much like the famous Budweiser wagon.

As the rigs moved toward the arena we followed to see what was going on. On the way, we saw this cute buggy and miniature horse.

At the arena, we learned we were going to see the "Gentleman's Wagon Driving Competition.

Here the competitors parade back and forth for the spectators. Later, the drivers were required to demonstrate some tricky driving skills and horse control. As each was judged, they were also required to tip their hat to the judge! This is the gentleman's competition, after all. It was a fascinating and colorful spectacle.

After the Big Bad VooDoo Daddy show, which had Victoria and Barry literally dancing in the aisle, we headed off to the carnival.

Barry decided to try his hand at tossing baseballs at beer bottles. It was also at this moment the batteries in my camera died.

It was nice to meet RadioBarry and we all had a really fun time. We ended the night by eating the biggest, stickiest and sweetest cinnamon roll I've ever had.
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 08-09-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry

Thats a Disneyland Rose. My brother grows and breeds them.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Barry: who's performing Sunday?
    That's the final night of the fair, and the PRCA rodeo is the attraction in the Granstand Arena (same both Saturday and Sunday)...

Great report, Tom...and thanks for not telling folks that I've lost just a little bit off my fastball, and no beer bottles were harmed at all in the making of that picture...sigh...

--Barry

PS...thanks for the info on the Disneyland rose. I knew that their had to be some sort of history behind it! These were grown, BTW, by Otto and Sons nursery.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-09-2006 at 05:05 PM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

And finally some more fair pics I thought you might get a kick out of...

From the youth expo...a place setting with a theme perhaps familiar...

Not the best shot, but you get the theme...and the words "Dead Man's Chest" are written across the center.

And I'd never seen Pink's...Los Angeles fame...at the fair. I've waited in line for almost an hour at the original location...

Pictures like they have at the L-A location...

I tried getting friendly with one of the pigs. Too much for my nice little digital camera to handle !!

More of what Tom and Victoria saw...

More Big Bad...

And again a good, if a bit surreal, night...

--Barry

• Circle of Ancients

Barry, what time did you guys get there on Saturday? We were there from 10am to 3pm, it would have been nice to say hi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast