Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm on YouTube!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'm on YouTube!

Last year, I submitted myself for the part of Host for a television show about antique car restoration. A few days later, my agent got a call from the producer in Knoxville, Tenn. asking for some video. After a quick call to a good friend, we produced an audition tape at my home.

Well, I didn't get the part, but that's how the business goes. Unknown to me, however, my friend submitted the audition tape to YouTube.

I thought you might be amused seeing it. Here's the link:
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• GO DBACKS!!

Re: I'm on YouTube!

That's an awesome audition tape. I'd watch a show like that!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Bravo.

That was really good Tom.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I picture you on PBS along-side Huelle and Antiques Roadshow... good stuff there, Tom. The mustache is somewhat folksy, too (in a good way!).

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Very nicely done, Tom. Now I know why you took such a shine to the old Dodge pickup we saw together at the Fair! Very well done tape. I had an idea that I was in the presence of greatness when we met...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• My cuties!

That is neat! Do you really restore old cars or was that just for the audition?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Just LOVE that experimental multi-fuel hybrid prototype of yours, Tom.

The restoration of old jelopies like your 1924 Chevrolett Touring Car looks like a passionate hobbie, fully loaded with fun. You are also a talented announcer, and writer. That television producer that turned you down must have a nail in the the side of his "flat tire" of a Brain.

Great work! You can rely on my opinion. After all, I'm the Ride Warrior. Your film is quite enjoyable and informative, as well as relaxing. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-10-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• there's always my way...

Tom your my hero!! I love old cars and the model A was a favorite of mine. Your audition tape was great as well, I can see you on TLC, no sweat. Great voice as well!

I would give anything to ride the car!!!

thanks for letting us see you in action.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You do really well with that aging "Howard Sprague" moustache look too, Tom!!!

--Barry

(For the "youth challenged" he played Mayberry's county clerk on the "Andy Griffith" show...)
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-10-2006 at 11:44 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• For You!

Is that your own garage! My husband would flip! He wants to restore his 1964 mustang someday - and he desperately wants a full shop to do it in!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Plastic Monkey

that was great! good delivery and timing too

we have a show like this on realtime called "a ....is born." they have done a mg, landrover, harley, triumph and a kit helecopter. dont like the host though, too much jokes and nods, wish the guy was more technical - like in the you tube clip
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

That was great! You are very good at that, you have the voice and timing for that type of show.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Thanks for the nice compliments. To answer a few questions:
    That is my garage and those are my cars. The 1929 Ford Model A featured in the video has been in the family since 1959. Currently, I'm doing a little tinkering with it and should have it running in a couple of days. (The engine you hear in the video is dubbed in!) I am reluctantly going to sell it to help finance the completion of the Chevrolet. The other car in the garage is a 1937 Ford that was purchased new by a friend of my parents. When she got too old to drive anymore, she gave it to them. I inherited it from them. Since shooting the video, the wood for the 1924 Chevrolet body has been completed and the car now looks like this:

When it's done, it should like this:

There is no way to ever know why I didn't get the part, but that is how the business works. Perhaps they didn't like the mustache... perhaps they wanted somebody younger... perhaps they wanted a Tennessee accent... perhaps the whole production fell through and never even happened. I'll never know.

I've since shaved the mustache at the direction of my agent. She claimed she was having to turn down auditions because the casting directors were specifying "No Facial Hair." After I shaved it, she got me exactly ONE audition in a year, then dropped me because I wasn't working enough!

There's no business like show business!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• there's always my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Thanks for the nice compliments. To answer a few questions:
    That is my garage and those are my cars. The 1929 Ford Model A featured in the video has been in the family since 1959. Currently, I'm doing a little tinkering with it and should have it running in a couple of days. (The engine you hear in the video is dubbed in!) I am reluctantly going to sell it to help finance the completion of the Chevrolet. The other car in the garage is a 1937 Ford that was purchased new by a friend of my parents. When she got too old to drive anymore, she gave it to them. I inherited it from them. Since shooting the video, the wood for the 1924 Chevrolet body has been completed and the car now looks like this:

When it's done, it should like this:

There is no way to ever know why I didn't get the part, but that is how the business works. Perhaps they didn't like the mustache... perhaps they wanted somebody younger... perhaps they wanted a Tennessee accent... perhaps the whole production fell through and never even happened. I'll never know.

I've since shaved the mustache at the direction of my agent. She claimed she was having to turn down auditions because the casting directors were specifying "No Facial Hair." After I shaved it, she got me exactly ONE audition in a year, then dropped me because I wasn't working enough!

There's no business like show business!

OMG! I just noticed the other car in the back, wow. My dad had a model A for a while then he had to sell it to buy a house back in the 80's. I miss that car. Which engine are you dropping in the Ford?

</IMG></IMG>
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast