i'm writing a disney essay

I'm writing an essay on how through its rapid commercialization and expansion, the walt disney co. lost the values and visions upon which it was founded.

does anybody have any good ideas or sources for this topic?

also, i remember seeing a graph a few years back showing how following walt's death, the ticket prices at disneyland began its rapid climb to where it is today. does anybody remember that? or know how i can find it?

is there anybody that comes to mind which you think would be a good subject for an interview, and would be willing to do one? (the person must be, or have been professionally affiliated with the company, or must be a proffesional i.e. a market analyst, etc...)?

any ideas at all supporting my thesis, would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

p.s. and by "lost its values", i mean that it no longer values wholesome family entertainment as it used to. it now makes decisions with profit and the bottom line as the main motivator. it now produces many entertainment offerings that are not at all family oriented. just whatever walt himself would have never done with his company. (i hope that makes sense)
    Last edited by ElephantzGoMooo; 08-11-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Re: i'm writing a disney essay

does anybody have any ideas??? any at all would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It's a little long, and is mostly about Michael Eisner, but DisneyWar is a good book. You could also looking into flipping through some Annual Reports and see what they say regarding the focus of the company.

Patience is also a wonderful virtue. Two hours is not enough time to let a topic be found and replied to.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For whatever it's worth, having worked in the park in the years between Walt's death and before Eisner and company moved in...ticket prices (at least at Disneyland) did not begin there really rapid ascent until after Eisner took over in the mid-80's. Seems to me that most of the 70's ticket book price increases just kept pace with inflation rates, which were very high at the time. (The "passport" hard ticket was not introduced until the early 80's.)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

thanks for your ideas! and just to clear it up, if you look at the date and times of the posts, it wasn't two hours, it was three days. sorry, i just didn't want to come across as an unappreciative or pushy person. i was just worried that my post would get lost in the swarm of others. thanks again! if anybody else has any ideas, feel free to post them. thanks in advance!

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I've been reading Inside the Mouse: Work and Play at Disney World. It obviously focuses on the park, and is very dry (it's a research project; sociology, I think). When I say dry, I mean it: I've been wading through it, since Christmas, short as it is. But if you're just looking for sources (and I know what a scramble that can be), it might be helpful.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions