Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Grumpy old man

California State Fair

Today was opening day of the California State Fair at Cal Expo in Sacramento. It will be going on until Labor Day. Any Californian MiceChatters attending or have attended?

It's a really nice fair, really big, lots to do and see. Loads of cool exhibits, lots of good food and nice displays about each county. I'm a big fair person, I go to three a year, and probably would go to more if I had the time/money and the State Fair is one of my favorites.

I'll be going tomorrow with my parents, should be a nice trip. I'm also going again on the 30th at night just to see Ted Nugent in concert with my dad.

I'll be taking pictures (film ), and will definitely try to post them up here at sometime.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: California State Fair

Yep, we're going sunday. We got the Poppy Pak over the site a few weeks ago. Good deal. We've been enjoying the State Fair for about 14 years straight. The Fab Four is playing there this year. Enjoy!

• Minion

I miss the California State Fair. I was born and raised in Sacramento. So, I was raised with "The Fair" as we used to call it. Tomorrow, my husband and I are going to the Wisconsin State Fair. Somehow, I'm not as thrilled as I would be going to California State Fair. The WI State Fair is about as big as the CA State Fair Livestock section. SO......yeah!!!

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Yep, we're going sunday. We got the Poppy Pak over the site a few weeks ago. Good deal. We've been enjoying the State Fair for about 14 years straight. The Fab Four is playing there this year. Enjoy!
    I've seen the Fab 4, they use to play the Waterfront Festival in Benicia, they were really good. Rain (another Beatles tribute) played last year and it was so amazing! I'm one of those people who just sits and enjoys concerts quietly, but I was up on my feet singing along to them. Plus the Beatles tributes always have free seating for all, so you can get the center seats.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

We go every year. My kids love the county exhibits, the Smokey the Bear fire safety stuff, and of course, the rides. I hate rides but whatev. We get them out of the way and move on. We also enjoy the agriculture area where you can grind your own cornmeal and I LOVE the wine tasting area People watching is of course one of the best sights at the State Fair
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

We try and go every few years....it is always a great time! Even fun to spend the night in old Sacramento after the fair!

We are not going this year, most likey but it's a great time for anyone considering going or traveling up here to see it! ALL Californians should go once in thier lives at least! (Same with Disneyland and Yosemite)
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Minion

Well, pretty soon(and even now, to a certain extent) the California State Fair is not going to be the only thing people visit Sacramento for. There are MANY MANY things in the works that are going to change this city and the minds of the people who live and visit there.

• Grumpy old man

Well, since I just got home, might as well give a little "trip report"

The fair, like always, was really good this year. Lots of cool stuff to see, lots of entertainment, lots of food!

We got there at 10 AM, which was early for us (we're an hour from Sac!)

Went through some of the buildings. The Expo area was really good good, especially the youth exhibits, the food exhibits, the 9/11 memorial, and the Superhero exhibit.

The 9/11 memorial is coming along really nicely and it's really touching to look at. I remember the first year it was there, they had the steel beam from WTC and it was covered with leis and beads and inscriptions. It's now roped off, but it's still quite powerful, especially some of the pictures.

The superhero building was really fantastic, with the 1960s Batmobile, set pieces from movies (a full scale Terminator!) and the actress who played Lois Lane in the originaly Superman series. Later in the month George Barris will be there! The little gift shop are had lots of neat toys, including some from POTC and lots of comics.

We really only saw two shows, the Turkey Stampede which is turkey racing and really neat and Terry Stokes, who was freakin' hilarious and entertaining.

I had a huge plate of fried food for lunch, there was fingersteaks, chicken, onion ring, fries, and zuchinni. There was also a place selling fried twinkies, avocados, aspargus, pickles, mushrooms, and oreos. They also had a chicken sandwich made with a Krisy Kreame donut!

The county exhibits were of course wonderful. Solano county, my home county got Best of Show again!

For dinner I got a turkey leg which was really good, kind of tasted like corned beef. We also tried the fried avocados, which were good

If you go this year what I recommend you most definitely see all of the exhibit buildings especially the Superheroes (you can skip the commercial buildings if you please, but I like them), the 9/11 memorial, watch Terry Stokes! (hypnotist for the uninformed, really fun), check out the musical entertainment at the newly themed Cafe Oreleans (used to be the Catina), ride the monorail, ride the gondolas if you miss the SkyWay (we didn't though), and get as much free stuff as possible. (The two Chevy boothes and the GM booth have the best stuff). Also if you stay until 9:15 PM, check out the little musical stage show they do on the lagoon. It's a bunch of people performing or dancing to various songs dressed approiately with pyrotechnics (which go off about 5 feet from the gondolas)

EDIT: I also got to buy my first Super Lotto ticket ever!
    Last edited by Brain Toad; 08-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

That was a great report

Sure hope we get a chance to go this year. With 2 of the kids already in school it may be tricky. I've STILL never ridden those paddle boat swan thingies!

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by Jennidisneyfer
    That was a great report

Sure hope we get a chance to go this year. With 2 of the kids already in school it may be tricky. I've STILL never ridden those paddle boat swan thingies!
    You won't get to this year They have taken out the swans and the regular paddle boats and have put some other boats that have water guns on them. Plus they are in the other part of the lagoon, closer to the food.

You can, however, see them in storage from the monorail.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Freaking figures. Thanks for the heads up though

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79
    Well, pretty soon(and even now, to a certain extent) the California State Fair is not going to be the only thing people visit Sacramento for. There are MANY MANY things in the works that are going to change this city and the minds of the people who live and visit there.
    Even Phil Jackson? (You know, his remarks about "cow town", the cow bells when the Lakers play at Arco Arena, etc...) I didn't agree with him by the way...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• xmanmom

We go every year since we live in Sactown. Haven't gone yet this year but I will post (with pics) when I do...probably not until the end of the month since we are headed to SoCal this weekend.

• Grumpy old man

Since I was already in my dad's camera, I'll post the 4 pictures he took. I took a few more and once I fill up the roll I'll have them.

The Batmobile. Second time I've seen this in person. First time George Barris was there.

Zoom zoom!

Hit the brakes!

This thing was huge.

Hey cool, I'm going to be in Sacto next weekend. How crowded do you think it will be on Saturday the 26th? Will it be like Disneyland crowded or pretty relaxing?
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast