Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Should I be worried? (Job Interview)

Okay, I think I am over thinking yesterday but I need someone elses objective opinion because I'm a little worried. Let me give you the back ground.

I attended an open house for a purchasing position at a boat company, a very good boat company and I was interviewed by two people. They really seemed to like me, they had me stay to take a personality test, offered me some water and were very nice and accommodating. It was probably the first time ever I felt like I wasn't at a job interview, I was that comfortable with the people there.

So I called back about a week ago and spoke with the woman in HR, VERY nice woman. She kept telling me over the phone over and over again that I was a GREAT candidate for the position. She repeated that many many times. She called me back last Friday and asked me to come to interview with the VP of Finance, ok no problem.

So yesterday I meet with the VP and it was the weirdest interview I have ever had. He kept contradicting himself, stating that he might have me come back this week to interview with another manager but in the very next breath he stated he wanted to get the thing wrapped up today.

The majority of the interview was spent talking everything BUT me or the position or the company for that matter.

He did have a lot of positive things to say like my personality test showed "Throughness" through the roof and that I did a great job on the test. He also said that the other ladies I interviewed with told him they liked me very much and they had a lot of nice things to say. He also stated that reading over my resume there were a lot of similarities between what I am doing now and what I would be doing there.

He apologized for being so busy because its new model roll out and things are a little hectic and then he asked me what I do where I am now and I told him, nothing was totally off in the response I gave him and then he said ok and walked me out. He handed me his card, we talked about the kids on his business card if they were his, he said I could call him directly if I had any questions and Cynthia, the HR lady would be calling me.

So there it is, I REALLY want this job, I really NEED this job, it pays 10K more a year than I am making right now and I KNOW I would do well there but this guy was so off the wall that I what he thought. Now I am usually a VERY good judge of a person and this guy was just everywhere.

So my theory its one of three things:

A. It was just a formality, he trusts what the people under him have to say and they will probably hire me.

B. He has already made the decision and he decided he doesn't like me and he was just passing the time because he HAD to interview me. (The whole entire interview lasted MAYBE 10-15 minutes.)

C. He is so busy with the new model roll out that he just had to many other things on his mind that he was just going through it to get me out of there.

So I apologize for the book, but what do you think and are there any corporate people out there that can give me their thoughts. I know I would be good at this job, it sounds very exciting and I am willing to dive in and learn everything. I just hope I didn't screw it up.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Should I be worried? (Job Interview)

Sounds like maybe he wasn't prepared for the interview. Maybe he wasn't aware of it, or his secretary messed up, maybe he was double booked and flustered because he knew he was supposed to be someplace else.
    A signature should go here.

• Banned User

Hey, you did good, and if he did not like you he would not have spent the time, that much time anyways talking about himself and his family. You did good kid, chin up and I will be praying you got the job!!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

It sounds like he either doesn't do interviews very often and didn't really know what to do, or like Hyperbole said, he was notified at the last second and wasn't prepared.

I know my company runs candidates through every manager (3 managers and the president) and most of the time it's a spur of the moment interview, so no one is prepared, and they aren't really interested since the candidate won't be reporting to them anyway.

It's tough going through interviews, you never really know how they feel about you. And it's especially hard when you really, really want the job. Keep your chin up and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Summer!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan
    It sounds like he either doesn't do interviews very often and didn't really know what to do, or like Hyperbole said, he was notified at the last second and wasn't prepared.

I know my company runs candidates through every manager (3 managers and the president) and most of the time it's a spur of the moment interview, so no one is prepared, and they aren't really interested since the candidate won't be reporting to them anyway.

It's tough going through interviews, you never really know how they feel about you. And it's especially hard when you really, really want the job. Keep your chin up and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Summer!
    Thanks That makes me feel better because everything else leading up to this interview made me feel good about my prospects. I also sent him an email thanking him for his time and I told him I hope his new model roll out goes smoothly, his email was on his business card and I don't want to be forgetable.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Sounds like you did great, and the follow up is extra credit for you! Good thinking. I'll have my fingers crossed.
    A signature should go here.

• That Guy

Sounds like you will be just fine. Keep in mind that good business leaders aren't always the best at little details, like hiring practices, etc. That is why they have HR people.

Also, good idea on the email, and here is a cool tidbit I learned a while back. Whenever you interview, try and mail thank you cards. Email is well intended, but you never want to email a thank you, for something that happened in real life. In other words, if someone helps you fix your computer online, etc. an electronic email is ok. For a job interview, a card is great because you're not asking the receiver to do anything with it, whereas an email, the expectation may be that you get one back.

Best of luck, I look forward to my 33% of you pay, as your consultant.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone else! Its always easy to second guess yourself on something like this, and to feel like maybe you could of done better or you could of done more, when the reality is you did fine. But this is one of those situations in life that you don't have a lot of control over, and that makes it even more unnerving.

What ever happens, I will be thinking good, positive thoughts for you and hoping that it works out to your advantage!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Thanks everyone, I knew asking my MC family would make me feel better.

I imagine at this point sending the hand written thank you card would to much as I had already sent the email but it's good information to store for the future should I have to do interview again.

The input was great from everyone and it made me feel better about the experience. Thank you again.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 08-23-2006 at 09:12 AM.

• Minion

Good feedback from everyone and I strongly agree with Max when he suggested a handwritten thank you card. It's not only good manners but really has an impact on the receiver.

Good luck!

• Banned User

Summer, do you have any time line as to when you will hear back? Maybe you could call the ones who liked you during the first interview.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    Summer, do you have any time line as to when you will hear back? Maybe you could call the ones who liked you during the first interview.
    I was going to give it today for everyone to talk to one another and then call my HR contact tomorrow. I figured calling so soon would seem to desperate and needy.

Great suggestion though, I am definitely following up.

Thanks Karla

• e komo mai

Sometimes the higher up the chain you go, the thinner the air gets. I've known a lot of VPs who are dinglecheeses. Don't let it worry you. He didn't seem to be prepared for the interview and seems a bit scattered.

You've gone pretty far in the process, I'm thinking that's a good sign.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

If it makes you feel any better ...

I once interviewed with a company where I really felt comfortable after the first two epople I spoke with. Then I had to speak to the CEO. He was aloof, asked me bizarre questions, and I left the interview feeling like I had totally blown it.

I ended up working for that company for ten years,
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn
    If it makes you feel any better ...

I once interviewed with a company where I really felt comfortable after the first two epople I spoke with. Then I had to speak to the CEO. He was aloof, asked me bizarre questions, and I left the interview feeling like I had totally blown it.

I ended up working for that company for ten years,
    LOL Thank you.

That VP was exactly like you said, very aloof, asked me weird questions. The first question out of his mouth was, "Where are you from?" Then he proceeded to tell me he was on the wrestling team in high school and on the JV Football team. Then we talked about the view out of his office, then how my name fits the company. (Apparently they have a summer promotion and its called Summer Deck Hand) which Deck is in my last name but it was all like that, very weird and very fast and he wouldn't even look me in the eyes, which I found interesting.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 08-23-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast