Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: The Official 2006 College Football thread

We live right down the street from the University of Arizona stadium. We went to one game last year, we're going to two this year, against USC and against Cal. I just hope that Arizona does to the Trojans what they did to UCLA last year.

I told my wife we might as well go to the USC game since we live close enough that we'll have to hear this horrible, out of tone, blatting sound trying to be passed off as music by the most overhyped college marching band in the world. So I'm glad they got relegated to the ghetto seats at the Coliseum. You can't miss hearing them anyway, no matter where they are, unfortunately. I was in Cal State Northridge's band and did the Super Bowl halftime show in 1987 with USC and San Diego State's band, so I know what I'm talking about musically about them, it's not just my anti-USC bias here.

I went to school at San Jose State, so I check the scores when no one else is looking to see how much we've lost by. The rest of my family is pro-Oklahoma, so when I went to San Jose State with Jeff Garcia and we ended up ranked higher than Oklahoma, I had a field day there! Other than that, I usually root for UCLA and Tennessee and Arizona, now that we live here.

I root against Michigan, except when they play Notre Dame, against Notre Dame except when they play against USC, and against USC in all cases!

• Mexihick, y'all

What IS it with freakin' Notre Dame Saturday? They are ALWAYS on, no matter what!

• Man O Lantern

Go Ducks!

Go Beavers!

We'll get to go to a few of both OSU and UO games again this year. But the freaken farkin flippin powers that be changed the Civil War game to Thanksgiving weekend, and we'll be out of town, and will have to miss it this year. Sucks.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry

PS...To answer the question in the OP, I'm far more excited about baseball's pennant stretch and postseason. Big surprise here, huh???
    Not a surprise to me at all. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You said beaver.

FIGHT ON!!!

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Go Ducks!

Go Beavers!

We'll get to go to a few of both OSU and UO games again this year. But the freaken farkin flippin powers that be changed the Civil War game to Thanksgiving weekend, and we'll be out of town, and will have to miss it this year. Sucks.
    there's something I didn't expect to see. Someone who roots for both teams. I will admit to rooting for Georgia Tech whenever they do not play Georgia.

• Colorful

I am sorry. No marching band deserves the fate of the USC Trojan band. I am definitely Pro Marching Band. USC's fight song is definitely one of the classics and one of my favorites.

• Mexihick, y'all

I am pro marching band when they play BAND music, not some horrible rendition of "Heartbreaker" or something cheesy like that.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorailred
    I cannot WAIT for the season to start...AND I have high expectations this year as a proud graduate of the #1 ranked Ohio State University Buckeyes!

I like OSU too. But only AFTER USC of course.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    What IS it with freakin' Notre Dame Saturday? They are ALWAYS on, no matter what!
    Well, for one thing they have something that no other college football team has....and that is an exclusive contract with NBC for all their home games. Their remaining away games are picked up by other major networks, usually ABC.

And that is because, IMHO, Notre Dame is kind of like the Yankees of college football. Storied tradition, alumni/fans all over the place in big numbers, love em/hate em ya still watch em...which obviously means big TV ratings, otherwise the networks wouldn't schedule em...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    it's all apart of a very smart deal for the Irish. As one of the premiere and prestigious football programs many conferences have wanted Notre Dame in their fold. However Notre Dame was able to get a TV deal with NBC in the ealry 90's for all of its homegames. That is why Notre Dame is still Independent in football. No matter how good or bad the Irish are in a certain year each of its games are given national attention because of all the alums all over the country.

• Mexihick, y'all

Well, regardless, it drives me insane! Here I sit, being forced to watch Notre Dame, while someone on the West Coast gets no play time.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    I am sorry. No marching band deserves the fate of the USC Trojan band. I am definitely Pro Marching Band. USC's fight song is definitely one of the classics and one of my favorites.
    Gee, do you suppose this means that mystique-laden, history and tradition bound, conquest and the horse and all-that USC, is no better than any other money-grubbing major division one college football program these days....? (LOL)

PS to Brian...you know that baseball is my first love. But I love college football too...to be honest, especially with no LA team, I prefer college to the NFL. The problem is, until the World Series is over, my interest is split...and nowadays when the Series is over, there's only a couple or three weeks left in college football's regular season...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Colorful

to tell you the truth, Barry I was a little surprised that Baseball didn't push back the World Series into November ( TV sweeps month) after they had to do that in 2001. The Super Bowl was pushed back into February (another Sweeps month for TV) that season and didn't return to tradition.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Gee, do you suppose this means that mystique-laden, history and tradition bound, conquest and the horse and all-that USC, is no better than any other money-grubbing major division one college football program these days....? (LOL)
    Hye c'mon don't spoil my moment...I am trying to score points with Morrigoon! LOL

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast