Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Do Today's High School Students Read?

I know the subject of student literacy comes up often (and is a sore spot for many on MC), but here's an excellent column from Michael Skube in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081800976.html

We were talking informally in class not long ago, 17 college sophomores and I, and on a whim I asked who some of their favorite writers are. The question hung in uneasy silence. At length, a voice in the rear hesitantly volunteered the name of . . . Dan Brown.

No other names were offered.

The author of "The DaVinci Code" was not just the best writer they could think of; he was the only writer they could think of.

In our better private universities and flagship state schools today, it's hard to find a student who graduated from high school with much lower than a 3.5 GPA, and not uncommon to find students whose GPAs were 4.0 or higher. They somehow got these suspect grades without having read much. Or if they did read, they've given it up. And it shows -- in their writing and even in their conversation.
    What are your thoughts?

For that matter, who were your favorite authors when you were in school as well as today?

Student MiceChatters please chime in. I'd love to discover that things aren't as dismal as Mr. Skube says--although I'm afraid they are.

• Minion

Re: Do Today's High School Students Read?

I read...
    I didn't know who Dan Brown is

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

For the record, my favorite authors in high school were Aldous Huxley ("Brave New World") and Ayn Rand ("Atlas Shrugged," "Anthem").

These days, my favorites are Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike and David McCullough.

Hmmm...I would have to say...People, Star, In Touch are my favorite authors right now.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

See, the thing is... they didn't make us read very much... I can remember reading Brave New World, Pygmalion... thats it.. outta four years in High School... I do LOVE the book the Giver.. we read that Junior High.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

•   
    • So fetch

When I was in HS I didn't read much fiction unless it was for school. This sounds morbid but the books I read for "fun" were about the Holocaust and WWII. I did read a lot of the Star Wars novels when I was in 10th grade.

• Banned User

I sometimes read... not much though...

Really, and i got a 3.6 GPA due to alot of extra classes i took online like webdesign, and having a fun SR Year english teacher, who had us read, and watch video.. and compair and contrast the 2....

really.. they do read.. but they dont like it... so they forget after the tests...

these kids have so much pressure to do good, they dont get to enjoy HS with stuff they like anymore...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

We read LOTS in high school. From The Great Gatsby (one of my fave books) to Dracula and Frankenstein, to at least 2 Shakespeare plays a year.

Granted, I dont read books per se anymore just because I dont really have the time to, but I look back and am glad I did in high school.

RIF!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

My favorite book in high school was "Rebecca" by Daphne Demaurier. It's still my favorite book to this day.

I never really enjoyed most of the books that were a part of the ciriculum (yes, I know that's spelled wrong but I can't remember how it's spelled! ironic in a literacy thread.) I enjoyed and still enjoy reading I just don't do it often enough. I really liked when the teachers would give a list of possible books to read rather than just assign one.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    I really liked when the teachers would give a list of possible books top read rather than just assign one.
    Me too.

• Shablagoo!

I know when I was in High school we read lots of books. My favorite authors are Tolkein, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Susanna Clarke, and Rowling. hmmm. I just noticed that they are all English writers. Interesting.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    I know the subject of student literacy comes up often (and is a sore spot for many on MC), but here's an excellent column from Michael Skube in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081800976.html

What are your thoughts?

For that matter, who were your favorite authors when you were in school as well as today?

Student MiceChatters please chime in. I'd love to discover that things aren't as dismal as Mr. Skube says--although I'm afraid they are.
    Well I am a current College student and have no favorite authors so to speak. I only like reading books about wrestling, Disney, animation, & cartoons. I am not much into reading novels because I just find most of them boring.

For example, on the way home from California, I read MANY articles of interests from my Disney Magazines.

EDIT: I did like Outsiders, McBeth, Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc.

• Happy Memories

I hd very little time to read for pleasure but some things I made time for were Tolkien and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. As an actor, I also read a lot of scripts and enjoyed Shakespeare more than most of my classmates.

•   
    • So fetch

I had to cheat and look at my bookshelf but in HS I was a huge John Grisham fan.

Books were the reason I survived my childhood.

Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Arthur Clarke, Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, Anne Rice are the major ones that come to mind. Later I added Heinlein and others. I've been reading non-fiction lately, though on different subjects and authors. Lots of mythology, archeology, and writings on religion.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast