Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Diets? Do they work for you?

Okay, so we have been watching "Celebrity Fit Club" and we see these celebs losing all this weight on this "Fat Smash Diet". So we get the book since we both want to lose some weight before we go to WDW.

So we start the diet 9 days ago. You weigh yourself the first day and then after "Detox" (the first 9 days) you weigh yourself again.

So for the last 9 days this is what we have been eating:

NO MEAT (period)
    Brown Rice
    Fruits
    Veggies
    Yogurt
    Water
    Milk
    Oatmeal
    Egg Whites

That's it. The first few days were not too bad, I only started getting annoyed with it on Wednesday.

Okay, so today is day 10. Get on the scale and I've lost 7 pounds. Now most people would look at that and say great ... 7 pounds. But for me ... honestly, I was expecting to lose at least 5 more than that. In addition to the diet we have been exercising daily and doing at least 3 miles on the treadmill at about a 12mph clip.

I do find that my shorts, etc are fitting better, but to be 100% honest the sacrifices I made to my diet don't seem worth it for the weight I lost.

Has anybody else ever had this experience with a diet where you did see results, but they weren't what you expected and you figured it wasn't really worth it?

So now starting today we can have 3 ounces of meat per day. Not worth it IMO. So we are pretty much just going to do the low-fat thing, keep exercising and see what happens.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Diets? Do they work for you?

Hmm, I've been dieting since I was 12 years old. I'm 29 now. I lost my pregnancy weight doing Jenny Craig and that took a year, then realized, I just need to be happy and enjoy life. I LOVE food and get grumpy when I'm denied yummies!

So I've accepted I won't be 110 lbs and just want to live the rest of my life happy and diet free because whatever weight I lose I always gain back.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

First of all... good luck with your diet! You have to find something that works for you. There are so many different diets out there, not all of them work for all people.

Being a "fluffy" person myself... (Don't tell RW, he thinks I'm Rachel Welch! )

I've never been very successful with any diet for any lenght of time. Maintanance is the hard part. Its one thing to lose it, its another to keep it gone. Right now, I'm in the process of studying the "Glycemic Index" plan. I like it because you eat three meals and at least two snacks. But, it takes some work to figure out what and how to eat so... well see. I'd love to drop at least 20 pounds before I go to Disneyland in December but... who knows.

Again... good luck!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 09-01-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Mexihick, y'all

Unless you're prepared to eat like that for the rest of your life, diets don't work and are short lived. Lifestyle changes are key.

• Circle of Ancients

This was the first "organized" diet I ever tried. Usually when I want to lose some weight I just cut back on the fat and exercise (more than I usually do).

And to this diets credit it's the only diet I have ever seen that has said you MUST exercise to get full results.

I'm not bashing the diet at all, I just didn't see the results I was expecting. And even though I won't be following the diet word for word, I will be still using the principles of the diet to cut my fat intake. I see these last 9 days as a kick-off point really.

But you need to treat yourself once in awhile. Not to say you go hog wild eating 3 big-macs, fries, shake, etc ... but sometimes you just want a steak and some mashed taters.

At least I know if I need to lose 7 pounds in 9 days again I can just do the detox again.

• Mexihick, y'all

You can treat yourself daily, as long as your expend more calories than you consume.

It's really the little things that work...parking further than normal, taking the stairs instead of the escalator...

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    It's really the little things that work...parking further than normal, taking the stairs instead of the escalator...
    OMG I TOTALLY agree. Those little things really add up!

• Circle of Ancients

^ and ^^ ... absolutely.

I work on the 8th floor and I generally take the stairs when I have a few minutes to catch my breath before a meeting, class, or whatever.

And again, we do DDR or go to the Gym pretty much every day. I walk the kids to school every day, etc, etc, etc.

Those little things add up.

• no flash photography...

the only diets that work for me are the not really diets...as in someone esle made it up and I try to follow it. I always fail at those. I ahve to do it myself. It's reall common sense...eat less calories, exercise and I'll lose weight, but I have ot be motivated.....and I ahve not been motivated lately. I've had to much stress to deal with in my life right now to stress over a diet....but, I'm slowly working back into it...strating with exercise. If i egt the exercise down the eating part usually goes easier for me...

I did Atkins about 10 years ago. I was at 199 and lost 23 pounds within a couple of months. But I didn't stay on it because you're not supposed to eat any fruit, and I do like the occasional dinner roll and potato. But it did work. I don't see how eating fatty foods and butter can be totally good for your body, though.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Unless you're prepared to eat like that for the rest of your life, diets don't work and are short lived. Lifestyle changes are key.
    You can treat yourself daily, as long as your expend more calories than you consume.

I totally agree with both of these, 100%!!!
    I've tried different diets off and on and the weight's always crept back on. This year I joined up the diet club here on mice chat and it's made a world of difference, it's been more of a life change and has made me more conscience on what I eat and my portion control and also makes me conscience of the exercise or lack of exercise that I get in. I've lost 22 lbs in the last 7th months, even with slacking over the summer due to all the traveling and such. Having such a good support system has made a world of difference for me

Good Luck with your diet though!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• is on the rocks

I've tried just about every diet under the sun and they all work - short term. Migo hit the nail on the head that if you want a diet to work, you'll have to do that for the rest of your life.

The best "diet" I did was South Beach. A lot of people compare it to Atkins, but it's not a low-carb diet it's a good carb diet. It's really just common sense - lean meat, lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies. I did really well, but then I let emotional eating get in the way again. I'm slowly trying to get back to a healthy weight, but it seems that something always gets in the way. (Excuses, I know).

DH and I have committed to going back to the gym and making baby steps to eating healthier.
    Last edited by Spidergrrrl; 09-01-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    She did it!

• Say no to Assimilation

I did Weight Watchers and lost 37 pounds after my second daugher was born. I like the program because I can have ince cream every night if I want to. Keep exercising! Your body goes into a biot of a shock when you first start working out. Then it gets used to it and the weight falls off!
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Why do you keep talking?

MCDA Worked for me!

No diet for me, just actually watching what I eat and portion control and I've lost about 24 pounds in 7 months and still losing about a pound a week without really exercising. Gotta start that back up again, and I know it can only help more!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Mexihick, y'all

^ Exactamundo. Portion control and changing what you eat really works.

In college I would eat a double cheeseburger and fries every day before practice. Now that I no longer work out like that (two hour work outs in the morning, 4 hour practice in the afternoon), I have changed my "diet".

The hubby and I eat all chicken (excess fat cut off), lean beef, or ground turkey. No salt is even in the house.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast