Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My 9 year old golden retriever died

i am truly traumatized has anyone else lost a dog and was truly saddened? How long did it take you to get over the event? Does anyone have any advice for it?

• Princess of my own world

Re: My 9 year old golden retriever died

I am so sorry for your loss. Many people say time will heal the pain, and it does a bit. When we lost our dogs of 15 years we were deeply saddened and it hurt a lot, but we realized we were so sad because there was an emptiness throughout the house. About a week later a stray dog came into our lives, although he never took the place his and our two new dogs characteristics make us smile and remember our dogs we lost. We still cry about them because we miss them, they were family. But thanks to our new dogs we can also smile and laugh about them now. My advice in a nutshell: grieve, let all your feelings out...but try to move on because that's what your doggy would want you to do. Go to an animal shelter or pound and adopt a new dog that makes you smile, not exactly the same way your other dog did, but the dog that makes your heart flutter when you see it knowing that it could help you through your grieving process and bring you happiness. Best of luck.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Minion

I don't know what I'd do if I lost my cat, she's such a big part of our family. It scares me just thinking about it...
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

I am so very sorry hon for your loss. I know loosing a good friend is so very hard. I am sending hugs your way .

• Grumpy old man

I lost two of my dogs, and I feel I never "got over it", it took me quite a few years to actually talk about them because I was afraid of the pain. But the best way to lessen the pain of it all is to think of your friend at their best and at your best, all your fun and happy times. Don't hesitate to get another pet, they definitely help fill the emptiness, and while you can never replace a friend you can always get a nice new friend to add on.

Sympathetic vibrations headed your way.

• Wonderful World

yea i wouldnt know how to react if I lost my dog hes about 13 years old.Im sorry
    I'm back MiceChat

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I've beent here and it's very hard. You have my sympathy. Just know, it doesn't ever go away but it does get easier. Eventually, you start remembering all of the great times you had more often than you miss them. But, surprises happen. I still cry every time I drive by the vet we took him to. And I bawled at Christmas when I suddenly came across his stocking and he wasn't there, 9 months later. And months after that coming across another picture of him. But, I remember the great times and how much he was my baby and I'm now able to smile and laugh at the picture of him with his head stuck inside a Burger King bag, etc.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Sorry for your loss. Its amazing how deeply these creatures we let into our lives truely become one of our family. They never judge us for who or what we are, and they love and adore us unconditionally. As everyone has said, it will hurt for a long time, but as with many things time will make it better. You will never forget the love and joy they brought to your life, but in time you will be able to remember the fun joyful times, and the pain of their leaving will lessen greatly.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• no flash photography...

I'm so sorry. Growing up we had to goldens. They are both gone now, but they were so old it was not a shock. It was just their time. When my cat never came home and we never found him I was beside myself. It took months to get over it and I still get sad thinking about it. If anything happened to my puppy I wuld probably have to be medicated. My thoughts go out to you.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post
    i am truly traumatized has anyone else lost a dog and was truly saddened? How long did it take you to get over the event? Does anyone have any advice for it?

I lost my chi mix Shuggie last June...we adopted her from a pet rescue, and she spent the last six of her 11 years with us...she died three months ago last Sunday. She was my best friend, and I still cry sometimes, miss her, grieve for her, and talk to her when I'm looking up to the heavens.

I posted a similar thread when it happened, and was amazed (but not relly surprised) by the love and support I got here...a lot of MiceChatters have gone through what we are going through.

We have a new chi/pomeranian mix puppy...named Angel...and she's a bright light in our lives. She knows she won't replace Shuggie, nor should it be that way.

Bottom line...allow yourself time to grieve. I was basically unable to function for at least three or four days. They may not be humans, but they are like members of our family. Feel free to contact me anytime...I'm so sorry for your loss.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• madaboutdisney

so sorry about the loss of your dog I had a dream that my dog had died and i woke up in tears. I can't imagine going through that in real life. I hope things get easier for you
    I Gravitate towards anything that Sparkles

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post

I am so sorry to hear that.. my dog died last october.. it took me a few months to really get over it.. and now I think about patches with smiles of all the good times we have together..

again I am so sorry to hear you lost your best friend

Friends for life

• LoisAlene

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Sometimes it takes a very long time to get over the death of one of your family members. Our pets are every bit as much our family as our human relatives.
    I don't know if you've ever read this, for me it's very sad but uplifting. It also gives me hope for the future because I know that all my beloved pets are waiting for me there. It's called - The Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I'm sorry this is hard. Unfortunately, when we have pets, we will generally outlive them. Recognize the love they gave you, and how much you loved them, and let it go. It will take time but eventually you can remember the silly things they did and laugh instead of cry.

We had to get a "new" dog too soon because our remaining dog was grieving and his personality totally changed. He was lonesome. He has a friend again and all is well.

The new dog isn't the same as the old dog but you make new memories, hang new pictures on the wall.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• For You!

I'm so sorry - I don't think there's anything you can do to "get over it". Go ahead and grieve - then remember the fun and good times.

Can I ask - isn't 9 a little young for a retriever? People keep telling me that my dog won't live another year - he's a big dog and they aren't supposed to live long lives.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast