Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: NFL 2006 - The Official Thread

Either Saban needed to be more forceful, or one of the assistants upstairs needed to be more on top of things in telling him to challenge, because he was clearly out of bounds.

True, it would've been first and goal at the one, but...well, Steeler fans need only recall last year's playoff game at Indy to tell you about things that can go wrong near the goal line...(the Bettis fumble leading to Roethlisberger's championship-saving play...)

Anyway, the Dolphins are a trendy pick...I got suckd into it, and I'm 0-1 now in this week's pool.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Did we not mention that no Raider fans are allowed???

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Jesus, is it just me or should Saban have been a little more emphatic with his pleas for catching the refs attention?!?
    These people who are writing the rules....these are the ones who were hit a little too hard back in the day...right?

What kind of mind does it take to allow instant replay but not allow a challenge to take place when everyone in the stadium and those watching at home can see the red flag but the refs have their heads up their butts at the moment?

If the flag is on the field, play stops. Period. If the flag hits the field before the ball is snapped, everything happening afterward should be moot. The flag was down, refs didn't see it...BUT WE HAVE IT ON TAPE! HELLLOOOOO!

The NCAA has it right so far this season. If something is questionable, you stop play for a whole 10 seconds and look at it. Period. What's fair is fair.

It's not rocket science....

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    The NCAA has it right so far this season. If something is questionable, you stop play for a whole 10 seconds and look at it. Period. What's fair is fair.

It's not rocket science....
    I agree ... the college football system makes so much more sense than the NFL's current drop-the-hanky challenge system...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Either Saban needed to be more forceful, or one of the assistants upstairs needed to be more on top of things in telling him to challenge, because he was clearly out of bounds.

True, it would've been first and goal at the one, but...well, Steeler fans need only recall last year's playoff game at Indy to tell you about things that can go wrong near the goal line...(the Bettis fumble leading to Roethlisberger's championship-saving play...)

Anyway, the Dolphins are a trendy pick...I got suckd into it, and I'm 0-1 now in this week's pool.

--Barry
    Not only last year, but the Steelers had it earlier in the game, first and goal at the 1 and Batch fumbled the ball over to Miami. Definitely not a sure thing. There was definitely no excuse for one of the refs not seeing it.

if all the refs were staring at saban or cowher (or any other coach) after each and every play trying to see if they were going to throw a flag over something, then who would be watching the game to officiate the next call?

and we all would be WAY WAY WAY WAY more up in arms if the refs were looking at a coach instead of a play and missed something critical

it is the coach's duty to get the ref's attention if he wishes to challenge a play. the rules even state that he can run onto the field and get the ref's attention IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE!!! don't think for a moment that if it were bill who was challenging something, he wouldn't be all up in the ref's face, screaming, spitting, and throwing the flag AT the ref if need be.

the play was called incorrectly, i will admit that (im the biggest steeler fan you may ever meet, but i am a fair one none the less), but it was saban's fault for not getting the ref's attention, plain and simple.

its only being made a big deal because it was the first game of the season, and the only one that will be played for another 2 days, so everyone has tons of time to analyze it
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

well, Steeler fans need only recall last year's playoff game at Indy to tell you about things that can go wrong near the goal line...(the Bettis fumble leading to Roethlisberger's championship-saving play...)

--Barry

just for the record, the play is being called "The Immaculate Redemption" by some (Boomer and crew on ESPN), but most are calling it simply "The Tackle"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    its only being made a big deal because it was the first game of the season, and the only one that will be played for another 2 days, so everyone has tons of time to analyze it
    I'm not sure that anyone is making a really big deal about it...it's just part of the game story that's being talked about. It really didn't affect the outcome of the game (the Steelers would have won anyway).

By the way, is John Madden out of touch with the game? He seemed really surprised when Collinsworth told us the rule about coaches be able to go on the field.

you caught me, i misspoke, it wasnt made a big deal, but i guess i'll call it the "headline" of the game. people love a good controversy (one which i think this is not) over a good football game, so this saban flag thing seems to be making the rounds as the "big story" from the game on espn, nfl.com, etc.

i definitely do not think john madden is out of touch w/ the game. i mean come on, how many of us knew that coaches were allowed on the field for something like this? this is the first time a situation like this has ever really happened. coaches normally position themselves near an official just incase they need to challenge/get clarification/complain/whatever.... so the rule im sure hasnt been all that poured over by nfl fans or announcers. they usually let the stat guys whisper stuff like that in their ears when it comes up, collinsworth just likes the airtime.

madden is by far the best color commentary guy out there, and he and michaels make a great team ( anyone else that michaels and costas are finally on the same network after their great performances in baseketball? lol)

....although with time i think tony cornheiser (spl?) might be able to compete w/ madden. that guy is freakin awsome!!!!

• Figment Fan Extradonaire

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Did we not mention that no Raider fans are allowed???
    What's wrong with Raider fans?! C'mon now, to each his own. Just because we're the only fans in the NFL that know how to tailgate doesn't mean you should hate us all! Hehe, j/k

Kongalush! To all you fellow adventurers out there!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I would like to use this opportunity to officially comment that once again this year, my Rams will suck. And I would also like to officially pronounce that, depsite that fact I shall still cheer them on.

I love an underdog.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I would like to use this opportunity to officially comment that once again this year, my Rams will suck. And I would also like to officially pronounce that, depsite that fact I shall still cheer them on.

I love an underdog.
    Penguinsoda, you know I love you ... but on this one, we part company.

I loathe the Rams. I dislike Georgia Frontiere and all she stands for as an owner. I was a diehard Los Angeles Rams fan from 1967-1994...slowly but surely she ran the team into the ground...almost like the lady owner in the movie "Major League"...then she skips town for a sweetheart of a taxpayer ripoff in Missouri.

Since September 1995, I have rooted for that woman's team to lose every game. One of the worst nights of my sports life came when I saw her claiming the Super Bowl trophy. One of the best nights came two years later (The Patriots will always have a special place in my heart.)

Pengy, I hope your Lambs go 0-16. Pass the mint jelly, please.

Not that I have issues or anything

--Barry

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Penguinsoda, you know I love you ... but on this one, we part company.

I loathe the Rams. I dislike Georgia Frontiere and all she stands for as an owner. I was a diehard Los Angeles Rams fan from 1967-1994...slowly but surely she ran the team into the ground...almost like the lady owner in the movie "Major League"...then she skips town for a sweetheart of a taxpayer ripoff in Missouri.

Since September 1995, I have rooted for that woman's team to lose every game. One of the worst nights of my sports life came when I saw her claiming the Super Bowl trophy. One of the best nights came two years later (The Patriots will always have a special place in my heart.)

Pengy, I hope your Lambs go 0-16. Pass the mint jelly, please.

Not that I have issues or anything

--Barry

And Barry... you know I love you too and the fact that we can spar over this amuses me to no end and I get a great kick out of the fact that we can playfully dissagree on this with each other!!!

Hey... at the end of the season I might just spring for that mint jelly!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Tui's Brother

I am a vikings fan and i think they will have an okay season this year. But I think Brad Johnson will do bad and Brooks Bollinger will take over by seasons end.

Colts won a very good game last night. My wife is in a football pool and I help make the picks and I really stunk it up yesterday. Ended up going 7-7, but I started out 4-6 after the morning games. I need to pick that up really fast!

I have to say I did like the commercial with Peyton, Eli and Archie Manning.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast