Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Earth Intruder

I am quitting smoking! Help!

Well, I've finally decided to do it this Friday. I've been smoking off and on since I was 15 (I'm turning 29 next month), and it is time to get rid of all this crap that's been building in my lungs. I seem to get bronchitis every year, and boy, does the smoking not help!

This is the first time I'm going to do it for ME, and not for a boyfriend who says he'll give me more kisses if I quit (that works for the duration of the relationship, and no longer). I've quit for a time up to a year before, using a) the patch, b) the gum, and c) cold turkey.

Cold turkey seems to work best since it gets rid of the physical craving as quickly as possible (3-5 days of pure and utter irritability, headaches, dry mouth and stomach problems). Unfortunately, I don't have 3-5 days to just wait it out since I have a very busy schedule. Places to go, things to see, people to do, that sort of thing.

So I'm gonna go with one package (approx 12 days) of the gum, just to take the edge off.

The main problem, of course, is the psychological aspect of it. I wanted to see what your experience was with quitting smoking, and what worked for you as far as getting rid of the psychological addiction.

They say to avoid activities in which you normally smoke, but not going to work or driving is NOT an option. It is so difficult since smoking is such a relaxation system, a reward system, and a way to break up the day into sizeable chunks (i.e. if I get X and Y done, then I can have a cigarette).

By quitting I realized I will save $75 a month, too, so that may help in quitting.

Any tips, hints or advice in this thread would be greatly apprectiated. What do you do to up your willpower in not reaching for a cigarette? Thanks guys!!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: I am quitting smoking! Help!

Even though I was able to start and quit anytime (I just recently have) I found that when I get cravings for a cig, I would brush my teeth. This would require you having a toothbrush on you at all times. But it worked for me.

Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!

• Former Epcot CM

I've tried smoking but never made it a habit (I'm your age when you started). Therefore I carry little advice. But I would like to say well done.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Mexihick, y'all

Way to go Chernababy! I don't have any suggestions...my father went cold turkey after smoking his whole life. Mother in law used the gum, but that didn't work.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I've never been a smoker, so I don't have advice to offer, but I do have a TON of encouragement to give you.

Here's to you feeling better, and having a better chance at a long life, which would make your friends happy, because we like you!!!

• Earth Intruder

Thanks for the support so far guys -- the other thing I forgot to mention that I wanted suggestions for was how to deal with the weight gain issue... I've been told to keep a bunch of carrots in my desk at work to munch on, but I wanted to see what other tips were out there.

Quitting smoking is especially difficult since nothing truly horrible has happened to me as a result of smoking, so it's hard to hang onto the hypotheticals. I'm sure it'd be easier if I were, say, diagnosed with lung cancer, but it's hard to rewire my brain that I don't need to get to that "bottom" before quitting!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Santa Barbara, CA

C'mon just have ONE more. It can't hurt. You can stop again anytime. Imagine how great that one toke will feel. It's just one :-)
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Mexihick, y'all

Well, look...first off, you don't have anything (that I can see) to worry about with weight gain.

Second off, my father quit too late, and ended up passing away of bladder cancer, due to smoking, in February. Followed by my mother in law with brain cancer/breast cancer in July.

So, don't wait.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Yeah Cherny!!!!!!

Okay, so I was one of those smokers who just up and quit and has never looked back. No fair, I know. BUT here's a few suggestions gleened from friends and family who struggled through quitting:

Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Zyban. It's a pill that you take twice daily and not only helps you through the cravings, but makes the cigs taste HORRIBLE.

Also, if you're missing the feeling of smoking, the cig in your fingers, inhaling, etc, try substituting a cig for a cinnamon stick. It's about the same size, you can hold it the same way, even inhale deeply since cinnamon sticks are hollow. Sounds crazy I know, but several of my friends swear by it!

I wish you the best of luck, I know you can do it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Great suggestions Hyperbole. I also, can quit cold turkey. I did the day after I found out I was preggers, that was 2 1/2 years ago, Started up again about a month ago and quite yet AGAIN about a week ago. Haven't had one since. I'm strange like that

Chernabog, about weight gain. I thought one gains weight because cigs are like a "hand to mouth" fetish and one needs something in their mouth. So one eats more instead of lighting up. So the carrots sticks sounds good. I never ran into that problem because I've been a chubsters my whole life.

You can totally do it though!
    Last edited by clara; 09-06-2006 at 01:17 PM.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post

Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Zyban. It's a pill that you take twice daily and not only helps you through the cravings, but makes the cigs taste HORRIBLE.

I wish you the best of luck, I know you can do it!!!!!!
    Awesome thanks! I just called my doctor regarding Zyban and he is calling me back soon. I forgot about that, and didn't know how that worked.

Another thing I was thinking of doing if I quit for three months as a reward -- get my teeth laser whitened!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm so proud of you! And just think how nice you'll smell, and how VFan and I wont be on your case for a week in Orlando

Good luck Mister Man! We're here rooting for ya!!

• For You!

I've never smoked, so I have no advice - but just wanted to give you more encouragement!

Good luck and way to go!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

Best of luck! I quit cold turkey 30 years ago and thought a few things might be useful to you that worked for me.

1. I didn't touch alcohol for several weeks. A martini in one hand and a butt in the other were my idea of heaven then.

2. Instead of having a cup of coffee following a meal, I would get up and do something to keep my mind off wanting one of my favorite things, an after dinner cigarette. Coffee and cigarettes also were made to go together.

3. I've been practicing Yoga for decades. Doing my routine in the evening as well as first thing in the a.m. seemed to help a lot, especially the deep breathing asanas during my withdrawl from nicotine.

4. Celery and carrot sticks were kept in a bag in the fridge for snacking and having something to put between my fingers.

5. I kept one cigarette in a drawer (a brand I couldn't stand, an unfiltered Camel that I got from a friend who smoked them) and a couple times I'd take it out during a craving and just hold it and look at it and then put it back. Never did light it.

6. Clean your home thoroughly and you'll soon realize how stinky your place used to be.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

As a past on and off again smoker- I say congrats and good luck. I had quit many times before it finally stuck. I started at 16 and quit at 31. What end up working for me was cold turkey- it sucked and I was a b*tch for a week- but I have not been smoking now for 1 1/2 years (yipee!) My suggestion is stay away from things that encourage smoking unless you have to. I did not go out drinking for about a month until I was sure I could have a drink with no cigarette. Driving was a hard one, but chewing on gum helped. The cravings do lessen, but honestly, every now and than at the weirdest moment the craving still hits. Now it is easy to push off but it still there. I must say though- breathing is much easier now
    About the weight gain, no help there. I did put on weight about 15 lbs, but exercise can burn that off. remember- you can breathe now

Good luck Chernabog!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast