Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abraham Lincoln

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Abraham Lincoln

You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?
    My son is named Lincoln, that should say alot

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

You gave your son a cool name .

Well something I always believed was that the Lincoln Logs were named after Abe, but nope, it was Frank Lloyd Wright's son, Lincoln who made the toy.

Oh plus my home was built by Honest Abe Log Home Company.

• Minion

I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...

Visited Ford Theater this summer, and saw his blood stained pillow at the Peterson House across the street where he passed away. On a side note, the hotel in Silverton Colorado has the same wallpaper as the booth that Abe was sitting in the night he was shot. Restorers used a swatch of Silvertons paper to restore the booth.

Here is the wallpaper in Silverton Colorado

and a small sign explaining it's significance

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...
    I must agree with this. I can't seem to "get" what he really did that makes him so great.

Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

*Walks in to save a seat*
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.
    It counts, but it certainly changes the dynamic when Abe is quoted saying if he could have won the war without freeing slaves he would have done it...

Kinda makes me feel less than enthusiastic about Great Moments.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.

• Minion

Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.
    I think both men did great things, we just honor them for a rose colored perception of some of their accomplishments.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.
    That said, do we trash Walt Disney because there are arguments to support he was anti-Semitic? Or do we overlook his faults because, on balance, his positive contributions to the world far outweiged his deficiencies as a human being? Fortunately, he kept his personal thoughts mostly private and didn't go on a drunken rant in front of a SoCal cop. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

Jefferson and Lincoln were both great leaders and intelligent, eloquent speakers who helped bring their contemporaries through difficult times. They were also men, not saints. They expressed opinions and exhibited habits that are disagreeable to our current PC standards. But, guess what? History books are written by the winners, so Jefferson, Lincoln and other great men and women will always be shown in a more favorable light. That they were also imperfect doesn't lessen their accomplishments, it just makes them more complex and interesting in a historical perspective.

• decorating

I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
    In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
    There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
    In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
    There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html
    Just saw this last summer, very interesting. Some of the historical pieces in there are really fascinating.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast