Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Abraham Lincoln

  1. #1

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Abraham Lincoln

    You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

    So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

    Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?

  2. #2

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,603

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

    So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

    Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?
    My son is named Lincoln, that should say alot

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    You gave your son a cool name .

    Well something I always believed was that the Lincoln Logs were named after Abe, but nope, it was Frank Lloyd Wright's son, Lincoln who made the toy.

    Oh plus my home was built by Honest Abe Log Home Company.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, California, United States
    Posts
    4,540

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, US
    Posts
    2,113

    Re: Abraham Lincoln


    Visited Ford Theater this summer, and saw his blood stained pillow at the Peterson House across the street where he passed away. On a side note, the hotel in Silverton Colorado has the same wallpaper as the booth that Abe was sitting in the night he was shot. Restorers used a swatch of Silvertons paper to restore the booth.

    Here is the wallpaper in Silverton Colorado


    and a small sign explaining it's significance

  6. #6

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,260
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...
    I must agree with this. I can't seem to "get" what he really did that makes him so great.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, US
    Posts
    2,113

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.

  8. #8

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    *Walks in to save a seat*
    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, California, United States
    Posts
    4,540

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.
    It counts, but it certainly changes the dynamic when Abe is quoted saying if he could have won the war without freeing slaves he would have done it...

    Kinda makes me feel less than enthusiastic about Great Moments.

  10. #10

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

    But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, California, United States
    Posts
    4,540

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

    But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.
    I think both men did great things, we just honor them for a rose colored perception of some of their accomplishments.

  12. #12

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.

  13. #13

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.
    That said, do we trash Walt Disney because there are arguments to support he was anti-Semitic? Or do we overlook his faults because, on balance, his positive contributions to the world far outweiged his deficiencies as a human being? Fortunately, he kept his personal thoughts mostly private and didn't go on a drunken rant in front of a SoCal cop. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

    Jefferson and Lincoln were both great leaders and intelligent, eloquent speakers who helped bring their contemporaries through difficult times. They were also men, not saints. They expressed opinions and exhibited habits that are disagreeable to our current PC standards. But, guess what? History books are written by the winners, so Jefferson, Lincoln and other great men and women will always be shown in a more favorable light. That they were also imperfect doesn't lessen their accomplishments, it just makes them more complex and interesting in a historical perspective.

  14. #14

    • decorating
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mentone
    Posts
    879

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
    In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
    There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html

  15. #15

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,797

    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
    In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
    There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
    http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html
    Just saw this last summer, very interesting. Some of the historical pieces in there are really fascinating.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Mr. Lincoln!
    By StrikeYerColors in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
  2. Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln
    By Barbaraann in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM
  3. [Question] Where is Lincoln??
    By GothicManor in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
  4. Return of Abraham Lincoln on Sept 29? (merged threads)
    By GothicManor in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
  5. Mr. Lincoln
    By JoeCool in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •