• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Kids Sports Clubs/Sports Prices

Is it just me or are kids sports and clubs getting outrageously overpriced lately??

My youngest, he's in second grade, just got an invitation for Chess Club. He did it last year, one day a week afterschool for an hour. This year it'd be the same plus tournaments and they have hired a "world renowned chess champion" their words not mine. Last year it was $30 for the semester and this year it's..........................$160!! For a semester! He's in second grade! But, they then offer you the discount price of one full school year for $300

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Re: Kids Sports Clubs/Sports Prices

My duaghters bus pass is $300 this year and they have to sit three to a seat! There're in junior high and have to sit three to a seat at 300 bucks a pop !?!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

D-Mom, sports are very expensive and some sports more than others.
    Our 2 most expensive were ski team and soccer. At least here both involved travel and ski team required a season pass, lift tickets and equipment.
    The costs actually went down in High School as he became more involved in school sports instead of club sports.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    D-Mom, sports are very expensive and some sports more than others.
    Our 2 most expensive were ski team and soccer. At least here both involved travel and ski team required a season pass, lift tickets and equipment.
    The costs actually went down in High School as he became more involved in school sports instead of club sports.

I can understand, the pricing of soccer and especially the ski team. I paid over $300 for Kyler for football, including all the equipment etc. That was acceptable. But $300 for a second graders chess club?? That just seems outrageous, especially since there is no equipment costs or anything. KWIM?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

That's outrageous for second grade chess club! Our school-wide tournament chess club is free!

• Banned User

I wish we has chess clubs for our young kids here oh and I got a paper for the boys to do soccer 95 bucks. what?? last year it was 25.00
    baseball, 240 bucks? this is way to much.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Reading this thread makes me love the Boys and Girl's Club even more than I already did! $130/month includes transportation and after school care for 2 hours a day. It includes things like a Chess Club, Girl's Club, etc. For only $25 more per month Bailey gets to join the Cooking Club and take guitar lessons!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

We just started the kids in sports: Brian in karate and Ali in gymnastics.

Karate is #39 for 3 weeks, then it is a $61 registration fee (every 6 months) and then it is $89 per month. At least it is for two 45 minute classes each week.

Gymnastics is $25 annual registration fee and $100 for an 8 week session. Each class is 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I think we are getting a fairly good deal. The inital 3 week payment for karate included his outfit. We had to buy Ali a leotard, but that was all she needs for gymnastics.

The biggest issue now is keeping the schedules straight.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• xmanmom

Wow, this makes me want to rethink the whole having kids thing. $300 for a year of chess for a 2nd grader is just...wrong.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post
    We just started the kids in sports: Brian in karate and Ali in gymnastics.

Karate is #39 for 3 weeks, then it is a $61 registration fee (every 6 months) and then it is $89 per month. At least it is for two 45 minute classes each week.

Gymnastics is $25 annual registration fee and $100 for an 8 week session. Each class is 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I think we are getting a fairly good deal. The inital 3 week payment for karate included his outfit. We had to buy Ali a leotard, but that was all she needs for gymnastics.

The biggest issue now is keeping the schedules straight.
    That's not a bad price for Gymnastics. When I had started, it was about $40/month for 1 hour, 1 day a week. When I was invited to join a recreational gymanstics class that was high-ranked, it was about $80 a month for twice a week, 2 hours.
    Leotards aren't really that expensive, and you can wear a swimsuit if you have to, or just sweats and a t-shirt.
    Ali will enjoy Gymnastics, if you have any questions about the sport or skills, ask me, I still know all.

Dance for me is (for hardshoe & Softshoe, H=1/2 hour, 1 day a week, S=1 hour, 1 day a week) about $215, plus $20 annual registration. Not including the cost of the shoes I had to buy last year. Hardshoes = $155. Softshoes (bought a few years back) $45.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice offer.

We have been trying to figure out how to get her started and found a good place close to our house.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• most magical vaca ever

I must say our towns Rec Dept is very reasonable....

Football- $125
    Baseball- $75
    Soccer- $60
    Dance- $55 (8 week program)
    Bowling- $9 a week

All prices are for the first child.... every child after gets a reduced rate.
    ~~~~~~

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

See, this is why I'm being such a bad Mom and none of them are in anything. And it's probably about half that cost here for things, like soccer was $70 and that included everything for the season. (well, except shoes and shin guards.)

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain