Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Skinny models banned from fashion show - cnn.com

Story found at : http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...els/index.html

MADRID, Spain (Reuters) -- The world's first ban on overly thin models at a top-level fashion show in Madrid has caused outrage among modeling agencies and raised the prospect of restrictions at other venues.

Madrid's fashion week has turned away underweight models after protests that girls and young women were trying to copy their rail-thin looks and developing eating disorders.

Organizers say they want to project an image of beauty and health, rather than a waif-like, or heroin chic look.

But Cathy Gould, of New York's Elite modeling agency, said the fashion industry was being used as a scapegoat for illnesses like anorexia and bulimia.

"I think its outrageous, I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women, but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer," said Gould, Elite's North America director, adding that the move could harm careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models.

Madrid's regional government, which sponsors the show and imposed restrictions, said it did not blame designers and models for anorexia. It said the fashion industry had a responsibility to portray healthy body images.

"Fashion is a mirror and many teenagers imitate what they see on the catwalk," said regional official Concha Guerra.

The mayor of Milan, Italy, Letizia Moratti, told an Italian newspaper this week she would seek a similar ban for her city's show unless it could find a solution to "sick" looking models.
    Quality, not size

The Madrid show is using the body mass index or BMI -- based on weight and height -- to measure models. It has turned away 30 percent of women who took part in the previous event. Medics will be on hand at the September 18-22 show to check models.

"The restrictions could be quite a shock to the fashion world at the beginning, but I'm sure it's important as far as health is concerned," said Leonor Perez Pita, director of Madrid's show, also known as the Pasarela Cibeles.

A spokeswoman for the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain, which represents those at Madrid fashion week, said the group supported restrictions and its concern was the quality of collections, not the size of models.

Eating disorder activists said many Spanish model agencies and designers oppose the ban and they had doubts whether the new rules would be followed.

"If they don't go along with it the next step is to seek legislation, just like with tobacco," said Carmen Gonzalez of Spain's Association in Defense of Attention for Anorexia and Bulimia, which has campaigned for restrictions since the 1990s.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: Skinny models banned from fashion show - cnn.com

I think that's great. These overwhelmingly unhealthy young ladies are a risk to not only themselves but those that emulate them.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I heard about this on the news at the gym this morning. So, they are banning skinny models. Why don't they just used attractive people to model - skinny or medium or large. Why does everything have to be so dang mandated!?

The shouldn't ban skinny models no more than they should ban large models.

• Rat Patootie

Heh...heres a convo my friend and I had about it...well, more like, two replies...

Friend: *insert story*

Me: But now it won't look as though the clothes are walking themselves!

Friend: I know! And also think of all the homosexual designers out there who will have to endure women who look like women instead of women who look like boys. How sad that will be for them.

Me: Does this mean that Michael Jackson won't be designing clothes any more?

I'm sure that by boys, she just meant guys...but I played off the word any way...fun times...
    șoș.....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
    ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
    (..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
    .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
    .../\....*...| | \/|,-,|\/ | |
    MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Instead of banning skinny models, I think they should start showing a range of sizes and shapes including a plus. (which I know is what...a size 10 in the fashion world?)
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Banned User

Plus size in the fashion world is like a 6 lol.

• Banned User

You know they could at least step it up a notch. Have most of the models be a size 2 instead of 16 months.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

My wife and I were reading something in People magazine last week where this model who was a size 12 was considered a PLUS SIZE model! I was mortified. Size 12 is not big.

Now, my wife is really thin.......when not pregnant, she's a size 4.....even in maternity pants she wears a 4.........but that's just her. She herself does not consider 12 to be PLUS SIZE. Her aunt is a size 10 and she looks great!

• Rat Patootie

Maybe it's a financial thing? You know, smaller body, less fabric, larger profit!
    șoș.....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
    ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
    (..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
    .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
    .../\....*...| | \/|,-,|\/ | |
    MySpace.com/JivinJonno

• Hooterville, USA

Let's see, they consider a fashion show model a bad example for young girls, but tv and rap music isn't?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Let's see, they consider a fashion show model a bad example for young girls, but tv and rap music isn't?
    One thing at a time..

• xmanmom

Yeah, you know, I am a big girl myself and I like seeing representations of more normal and plus size women wearing the clothes I would like to buy. I also agree that unrealistic images can damage the minds of young girls and cause eating disorders and self-esteem issues. But, I am just not sure if regulations are the way to go about it. It should happen more organically. I don't think the fashion world will go for this. I could be wrong though.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I'm a voluptuous size 14, and I am smoking hot. I think that women of all sizes and shapes can be attractive. I do think that super thin models are unhealthy, and do set an unhealthy ideal for today's youth (example: my 12 year old daughter, who is 5'6 and weighs 115 lbs, thinks she's fat). I'm not sure that these regulations are realistically enforceable in the long term, and I'm not sure it's OK to discriminate against anyone for being skinny any more than it's ok to discriminate against someone for being heavier. Guess we'll see how this one plays out.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Good for them. Personally, I don't like ultra-skinny women.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Good for them. Personally, I don't like ultra-skinny women.

*high five*
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast