Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Walmart to get rid of Layaway Department... Just before the holiday season.

Story at http://www.thehometownchannel.com/ne...72/detail.html

BENTONVILLE, Ark. -- Shoppers with a long list of holiday gifts might want to start saving now because Wal-Mart intends to phase out its layaway department before Christmas, officials said Wednesday.

Staff at Wal-Mart's home office in Bentonville told 40/29 that new stores have opened without layaway departments. However, they said they would prefer to inform their associates about those changes first.

"Is the layaway department closing? It is. When's that going to happen? Well, the last day to put on a regular layaway is this Friday, and they have to be out by Nov. 19. If you have Christmas gifts, you can pick those up on Dec. 8," said a Wal-Mart employee.

An employee at another store told 40/29 that she had heard about the department closing but only knew it to be a rumor.

"It's just a loss to the store. None of our competitors have it. They just don't want it anymore; that's the rumor," she said.

However, Wal-Mart's competitors, such as Kmart, do have layaway.

"Like today, I spent over $200 at Kmart on layaway," said Nob Hill resident Angela Lyle.

"For my nephews' birthdays, I put (a little more than) $160 dollars worth of stuff (on layaway)," she said. "If Wal-Mart (doesn't) have it, I'll probably do more business with Kmart."

Staff at the home office said Wal-Mart should be releasing some sort of statement on Thursday regarding the future of its layaway department.

• Banned User

Re: Walmart to get rid of Layaway Department... Just before the holiday season.

wow!! I have 2 christmas layaways right now at walmart, this stinks, I love putting things on layaway

This may suck for some people, but given the amount of space lay-a-way's can take, and what it costs to administrate. I can see why they would want to get rid of it.

Besides most people by things on credit, so the lay-a-way dept ends up being peoples hidden closet, as not to have thier gifts discovered in the house.

The bigger message though I think can be read "Leave you wallet at the door, and take you crap home with you"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Layaways are big money losers for stores, which is why so many chains have done away with it. Because so many layaways are not picked up, the merchandise essentially remains unsold for thirty days or more. If they contain seasonal items, by the time they're returned to stock the demand has passed and the merchandise is less sellable and subject to markdown. The store also loses out on collecting finance charges that would otherwise be made on a store credit card purchase.

Also, from personal experience back in the day, layaways are a pain-in-the-a$$ for stores to administer, especially during holidays when backstock space is in short supply and a glut of layaways need to be put away. To retailers, it's just more hassle than it's worth.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I don't think I've ever bought anything using layaway...maybe once or twice in my life... so this doesn't affect me. But I can see why they would want to get rid of it. I never thougth before about the hassle of holding the stuff, or seasonal stuff never picked up.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I have never bought anything on layaway, but I have some in-laws who will be none too happy about this.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

So I have until December 8th to pick up my M&Ms?
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I loathe WalMart.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I loathe WalMart.
    live in my town, all we have is walmart and the kmart here is hiddous. we have to go 60 miles to shop in other towns and 90 miles to costco or target. I love walmart ! ours is awsome, huge and very clean. Ask Disneymeimei I took her to ours when she was in town

• Banned User

I have so many people that I know uses layaway for their things. That stinks

• out & about

I cant believe they still had a layaway program. i say good! Walmart is lame.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• I'm your huckleberry.

Who needs layaway? That's what plastic is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I loathe WalMart.
    OFF TOPIC...

I totally agree...I will not again set foot in one of their stores (the one closest to me, in Oxnard,California is not exactly like the stores I always see in the commercials, or like the one Karla shops at).

I have stated in earlier threads my many objections to the way they do business.

But I really fail to see much upside for them in this particular issue. If Disney geeks wonder what Walt would think...what would Sam think?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Married and happy again!!

This blows for me. I used it at Christmas time every year not so much as a way of affording gifts but a great way of keeping gifts hidden from my kids. Oh well I guess I need a new hidding spot.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Senior Minion

The city of Turlock beat out Wal-Mart to build one of their superstores just recently after a long legal battle. I'm glad because most of the stores here are just trashed literally. They still have the smaller scale store there.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast