• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Coach of the year...

What the freak? A coach HIRES an eight year old to injure a player he doesn't want in the game? This is why I want my kids involved in sports. I mean...it's all about WINNING, right? If you have an autistic kid on your team, better get rid of him rather than help this kid learn the game of baseball or helping the team learn about autism. I would have SWORN that little league was about teaching kids some life lessons.

I woder what lessons were learned here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2588156

Baseball coach convicted of two lesser counts
    Associated Press -

9/15/06

UNIONTOWN, Pa. -- A baseball coach accused of offering an 8-year-old money to bean an autistic teammate so he couldn't play was convicted Thursday of two lesser charges against him, and evaded more serious charges.

A jury convicted 29-year-old Mark R. Downs Jr. of corruption of minors and criminal solicitation to commit simple assault, Fayette County authorities said.

Downs was acquitted of criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault, and jurors said they were deadlocked on a charge of reckless endangerment. The judge declared a mistrial on the endangerment charge.

Authorities said Downs offered to pay one of his T-ball players $25 to hit a 9-year-old autistic teammate with a ball while warming up before a June 2005 playoff game.

Downs took the stand and denied offering to pay Keith Reese Jr. to hurt Harry Bowers, his mildly autistic and mildly retarded teammate.

Reese's father, Keith Sr., testified that Downs acknowledged after the game that he did something "ignorant" and confessed to the deed. When Downs called the elder Reese a liar during his testimony Wednesday, Reese shouted back "You're a liar," prompting the judge to restore order.

"This is a serious breach of sportsmanlike conduct," Vernon said.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 09-15-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Re: Coach of the year...

This story is sick. Totally sick. Sadly I have encountered my share of people who want to exclude my children simply because of their disability. But this is taking it to a whole other level! Unreal.

Crystal (proud mommy of two autistic sons)

• Mexihick, y'all

This happened and was reported a few months back. There was a very good article in Sports Illustrated about it.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

What the heck? Someone needs to bean him right in the head.

That is just unbelievably sad. I may be more sensitive due to dealing with my daughter (who isn't autistic but is ADHD and can be extremely difficult in any situation, which you never know until it happens, even if it's the same one that was fine the day before) but that poor kid has enough to overcome and deal with in his life without someone actually wishing him physical harm. And just to win a game?!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Circle of Ancients

My God ... what is wrong with people.

This is one of the reasons my kids aren't in organized sports at a young age. It teaches that winning is everything.