• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Is it time to say goodbye to MySpace and YouTube?

From ABCNews.com

Universal Music CEO Accuses YouTube, MySpace of Violating Copyright Laws

By ALEX VEIGA AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES Sep 15, 2006 (AP) Universal Music Group, the world's largest record company, contends the wildly popular Web sites YouTube and MySpace are violating copyright laws by allowing users to post music videos and other content involving Universal artists.

"We believe these new businesses are copyright infringers and owe us tens of millions of dollars," Universal Music CEO Doug Morris told investors Wednesday at a conference in Pasadena. "How we deal with these companies will be revealed shortly."

Universal's talks with YouTube Inc. have deteriorated and the recording giant is set to file a copyright infringement lawsuit against the video-sharing company if no agreement is reached by the end of the month, according to a person familiar with the talks who spoke on condition of anonymity, citing the confidential nature of the negotiations.

Universal's talks with News Corp.'s MySpace have been progressing, the person said.

A call to YouTube seeking comment was not immediately returned. MySpace declined to comment.

The prospect of Universal Music or other record labels suing MySpace or YouTube represents a departure from the way the recording industry has interacted with the sites thus far.

In less than three years, MySpace has emerged as a choice destination for young people and a hub for bands to promote music. Record labels big and small have created Web pages on the social networking site for their bands, typically allowing visitors to listen to the artists' music for free.

Since launching last year, YouTube has grown into one of the most popular video portals on the Web, thriving off user-generated videos that sometimes include people lip-synching to copyright songs or incorporating footage from movies or music videos.

The company has said it promptly complies with notices to remove copyright-infringing material uploaded by users.

But commercial music videos posted with the blessing of the record labels can also be found on the site. YouTube recently added branded channels and videos that enable companies to advertise on the site, a service Warner Bros. Records used to promote Paris Hilton's debut album.

Capitol Records, meanwhile, has released videos on YouTube by The Vines, Cherish and OK Go.

Universal, however, has made it a priority to get compensation for content that was once seen as purely promotional. Last year, the company began charging Web portals such as Yahoo Inc. and Time Warner Inc.'s AOL for playing its artists' music videos online or over video-on-demand services.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Is it time to say goodbye to MySpace and YouTube?

They'll work something out. With youtube and the like hosting legit materials now, the presedence is there for ways to make things work. Obviously Universal is pissy because they aren't getting the terms they want.

I find it funny they quote things like lip-sychin' etc. Paraody, etc is covered under fair use, and while they could challenge each piece, in large it is not illegal or violation of copywrite, so they couldn't go after youtube for distributing it.

Sounds like yet another music industry cornerstone completely not getting it and trying to hold onto 'the old world'.

I can't wait for the music industry to implode so we can start over again. The empires they built don't fit in today's world and they aren't willing to adapt.

• Grumpy old man

Universal sueing Myspace (owned by Fox) sounds like a big corporate war that will be very entertaining to watch.

The Big Four really need to get over themselves, get out from under the rock and realize technology is changing.

• Just Me

MySPace concerns me for different reasons. The trend lately seems to be posting video'd acts of viloence. Here locally this week's big topic has been with some teenagers attacking and video taping a schoolmate and then posting it on MySpace. This was a brutal attack.

I also have major issues with the whole predatory aspect of it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

MySpace is not going to go away. I could care less for YouTube.

• Banned User

There are more sites out there than Youtube.. just Youtube is the majority right now...

one day it will be a different site...

then another...

Universal should just go with the times... They already make money for the music video off of CD and Single sales...

• Man O Lantern

My two favorite videos were pulled from YouTube this week. They were the both the song "Wickeder" by Forbidden Broadway with photos inserted, so it wasn't a video, more of a slideshow.

We were heartbroken around here. There's still a video with the song being lip synched by two girls, but it's just not the same.

• Why do you keep talking?

I love youtube! It's the best way for me to watch music videos without signing up for crap and jumping through millions of holes to find the video I want to watch.

but it's the same thing with the "illegal" P2P programs, something just different enough will come around to replace the "problem" for the big corps and it starts all over again in a vicious cycle. AT least with you tube and MySpace video though, the content can be controlled (deleted by request of a copyright holder)
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The Big Four really need to get over themselves, get out from under the rock and realize technology is changing.
    Could not have said it better myself.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I hate MySpace. It can go away any time.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...