•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Major Problems At Polls Feared This November

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...600885_pf.html

In a polarized political climate, in which elections are routinely marked by litigation and allegations of incompetent administration or outright tampering, some worry that voting problems could cast a Florida-style shadow over this fall's midterm elections.
    "We could see that control of Congress is going to be decided by races in recount situations that might not be determined for several weeks," said Paul S. DeGregorio, chairman of the federal Election Assistance Commission, although he added that he does not expect problems of this magnitude.
    oh boy....
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Major Problems At Polls Feared This November

My opinion, make the Optical Scan Ballots the standard. You can do an initial count of these ballots using a scanner at each precinct (the machine also checks for over-votes, and rejects those ballots, allowing the voter to fix his/her mistakes).

This eliminates the need to wait for a computerized machine, which will help eliminate long lines. (A complaint in the last Ohio election, not enough voting machines)

Provide a machine to help those that need assistance, such as the visibility impaired. This machine would just fill in the ovals on the Optical Scan ballot, which would be placed with all the other ballots after the voter completes the ballot.

You also have a good paper trail in case there is a need for a recount. Also, you can check for problems a lot easier. For example, if the voter rolls show 138 signed in and voted, you should have 138 ballots to count.

Also, of course, folks should have to show ID to vote. (And the government should provide ID's for free for this purpose).

Some things are better left simple and easy, and elections falls into that catagory.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

(And the government should provide ID's for free for this purpose).
    lol... this reminds me of a discussion in class... but i will save that for gold..

• Pilot EdForceOne

State IDs are essentially free here.. sans a reasonable fee.

I don't know why they have such problems with the electronic voting systems.. talk about simplicity in the actual task.

They had problems in the primaries around here.. and GASP they cried bloody murder because results were delayed a few hours. Absurd.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

What ever happened to the good old days of November 1960 when the declared loser (in this case Richard Nixon) knew he was cheated out of the White House but refused to contest the election and draw the contest into months of litigation.

Of course that does tempt one to think what might have happened if Nixon replaced Kennedy in history. But I will quickly dash that thought cause it's not comfortable to think about.

Here;s how I think General eletions should be handled (using this year as an example). From 7 PM on November 6th until 7 PM on Tuesday, November 7th (Eastern) the polls will remaion open for 24 hours. You have 24 hours to vote and be counted. All pollls around the country close at the exact same time. Also no exit polls allowed to sway voters at any time. this solution keeps networks from reporting election returns from states whose polls have closed while other states are still voting (which I bet affects the results in states where people still have a chance to vote). also did you notice how exit polls had a role in the outcom of 2004? Someone got a hold of exit polls published it on a blog...and within hours the media jumped on it and one group of voters became polarized while the other side decided that they were going to win by a landslide and many decided they didn't have to make it to the polls. With no exit polls there will be no repeat problem.

Also all states should come together and decide upon the means of voting and stick with one. Things are less confusing that way instead of each state voting by different means and different rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

In a polarized political climate, in which elections are routinely marked by litigation and allegations of incompetent administration or outright tampering, some worry that voting problems could cast a Florida-style shadow over this fall's midterm elections.
    "We could see that control of Congress is going to be decided by races in recount situations that might not be determined for several weeks," said Paul S. DeGregorio, chairman of the federal Election Assistance Commission, although he added that he does not expect problems of this magnitude.
    Despite the charges of ballot tampering, etc. in recent years... nothing has been proven.

Even though Mr. DeGregorio has successfully planted his name in the national news, he still admits that he really doesn't expect any problems.

This is, therefore, a non-story.

(But Pauly got his name in the paper!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• out & about

to me it seems like a good ol fashioned "close race".
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/us...gewanted=print

Officials Wary of Electronic Voting Machines

A growing number of state and local officials are getting cold feet about electronic voting technology, and many are making last-minute efforts to limit or reverse the rollout of new machines in the November elections.

Less than two months before voters head to the polls, Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. of Maryland this week became the most recent official to raise concerns publicly. Mr. Ehrlich, a Republican, said he lacked confidence in the state’s new $106 million electronic voting system and suggested a return to paper ballots.

Dozens of states have adopted electronic voting technology to comply with federal legislation in 2002 intended to phase out old-fashioned lever and punch-card machines after the “hanging chads” confusion of the 2000 presidential election.

But some election officials and voting experts say they fear that the new technology may have only swapped old problems for newer, more complicated ones. Their concerns became more urgent after widespread problems with the new technology were reported this year in primaries in Ohio, Arkansas, Illinois, Maryland and elsewhere.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • debating what to put here

This should NOT be a partisan issue. It is in everyone's best interest that elections are undisputably fair.

To say that nothing has been proven from past elections has nothing to do with this issue whatsoever. I don't want ANYONE, regardless of political party having the ability to throw an election. It has been demostrated that hacking an electronic machine is indeed possible.

There must be a paper trail and there must be reform. It's too damn important and the system must be fixed to the people's satisfaction.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige