Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Wanted: Disney Speech Topic

I am a freshman in college. First quarter . I am taking a speech giving class and in mid-November we are to give a persuasive speech (7-10 min.) I would really like to give one about Disney, Disneyland, movies etc. Any ideas or input on topics would be great! Thanks I love Micechatters!

• decorating

Re: Wanted: Disney Speech Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara View Post
    I am a freshman in college. First quarter . I am taking a speech giving class and in mid-November we are to give a persuasive speech (7-10 min.) I would really like to give one about Disney, Disneyland, movies etc. Any ideas or input on topics would be great! Thanks I love Micechatters!
    Magic Kingdom versus California Adventure
    Rides as movies- changing the ride to fit the movie ... is it wrong?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Remember, you need something your class mates will find interesting too.

Corporate Imperialism.
    Economic Relations with Communist China. (Shanghai Disneyland, Disney entering China)
    Environment. (Disney's conservation work)
    Government and Coporations. (like Walt Disney World)

• I was deleted.

Last year I gave many speeches on Disney as Disney was my speech "theme" the entire semester. My persuasive speech was on traditional hand-drawn animation.

I would be more than happy to talk with you about my speeches or yours. For animation you can get more information at www.dreamonsillydreamer.com.

Good luck!! MiceChatter often give me great advice when it comes to school work so I am more than willing to give back what I can.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I'm assuming a pro-Disney stance on your part.

Topic 1. Walt Disney made changes, often very drastic ones, to the classic fairy tales when he adapted them for the screen. Good idea or bad idea?

Possible arguments: The storytelling tradition allows for each teller to put his or her individual stamp on a story. Disney was simply continuing this tradition. These stories existed long before Disney and were changed many times before. Some of these stories are universal and show drastic differences between cultures. (Compare the French, German and Chinese versions of "Cinderella.")

Topic 2. Before agreeing to build Walt Disney World in Florida, Walt negotiated with the state government to make the resort a self-governing political entity, answerable only to the federal government. It was called the Reedy Creek Improvement District and it still exists today.

Possible arguments: General pro-free market arguments. Many corporations recieve tax breaks, etc. as incentives to locate to a certain place. Disney has more than paid its fair share. Since Disney came, Orlando has become a home to many major tourist destinations, which results in more tax money, more jobs, and more tourist dollars to what was once a swampy wasteland.

Good luck w/ your speech! I know when I took speech class, most of my topics were Disney-related. Less research that way.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Read "Walt Disney, An American Original" and you will be very prepared and informed for a variety of speech topics. It's an inspiring book.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

thanks guys....these are great! Any more brilliant ideas out there?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

You could call it "1955" - "the Year Anaheim Got Put on the Map"...and then you could have it relate to Disneyland and how Anaheim grew because of Walt Disney's choice to build his Magic Kingdome there. You could talk about what Anaheim was before 1955 and how it has grown so much since 1955.

Just an idea.

• Senior Minion

You could do your speech on why Disney movies are some of the good ones, and how you are never too old to enjoy the movies or the parks.

I remember doing such a speech in the speech class that I took, good luck with it!!!! If anyone can help, it's the MC people here.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• time to go

Ahh... Speech 101. The beginning of my B.A. in Speech Communication. The memories come flooding back.

Persuasive speeches are typically a bit more emotional than rational, so choosing something your passionate about is always a good start. Disney is obviously a strong passion for you, so your search has been narrowed quite a bit.

Remember that Speech instructors are looking for two things during your talk: how well you present your information in terms of mechanics (clear intonation, pronounciation, etc), and how well you present your information in terms of organization, depth and breadth of coverage, truthfulness, etc.

Your time requirement of seven to ten minutes is typical for this gen ed class, which isn't quite as long as you might first believe. Seven minutes can fly by quickly, so it would be better to narrow your topic as much as possible and cover it fully, than to select a much broader topic and hit merely the highlights. It's easier to 'persuade' an audience with specifics than it is with generalizations.

It's also important to 'hook' your audience with a topic they will be interested in learning about. For that reason, you might want to consider something 'controversial' but not potentially offensive for your speech. Gay Days at the Disney parks would definitely qualify as being controversial and potentially offensive. Therefore, I wouldn't use it.

One enduring topic of Disney interest has been the "urban legends," particularly regarding the parks. There are plenty to choose from, so narrowing the list down to a handful wouldn't be difficult. And you might want to consider taking the contrarian position of defending the urban legends, especially those pertaining to the ghosts, since so many cast members over the years have sworn ten ways to Sunday that they exist.

OK... there's my two cents on the matter. Good luck with your speech!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Santa Barbara, CA

The effect of Walt Disney on Popular Culture
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Thanks..More ideas still welcome

The Urban Legend one really gought my interest how would you make that into a persuasive topic?

• Say no to Assimilation

How about disney cults? You could get a lot of information from this board alone on that topic.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Still wants to be a cat!

Cults....a bit much, but you could talk about the obsession an awful lot of people have with Disney and how they became that way. Lots of input here.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thanks..More ideas still welcome

The Urban Legend one really gought my interest how would you make that into a persuasive topic?

Use that as a way to persuade your audience to research everything they are told and make sure everything they take in is accurate. Most people unfortunatly do not question everything they read, see, and hear. That's bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast