Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• most magical vaca ever

Exclamation ADHD Awareness Day~

ADHD is a topic that my family has been dealing with for 4 years now. There are some people who feel that it's too embarrassing to discuss and there are people like me who feel the more you open yourself up and discuss it with others the more you will learn and the more you can possibly help someone else.

My son was diagnosed at the age of 8 but I knew long before he was diagnosed that he was special in his own way. After several years of pleading with the pediatrician that my son be tested, (an extensive amount of tests taken over a 4 month period) I was correct.

We opted for the - lets try everything before medication route and it did help a bit but after several months we decided to try medication. In my opinion, if my son had been diagnosed with diabetes would I not give him the medication to help him- of course not.

There are so many different types of medications that it usually takes a few before you finally see what works best. My son had been on Adderall and Adderall XR before finally trying Strattera which was amazing. My son went from failing almost every subject in school to making the honor roll. Talk about an ego boost He was so proud of himself and life was feeling as normal as it could for the entire family.

After 18 months we found out that our son has a minor heart condition. His cardiologist will not allow him to take any medications prescribed for ADHD because of his heart condition.

He is currently taking a medication for his heart but nothing for his ADHD. It's been a rough year, school grades have gone down and life at home is very stressful again.

The point I would just like to get across to anyone who doesn't have to deal with this disorder is that when you see a child in a grocery store acting out or "THAT" kid in your child's class at school is so annoying and you wish your child didn't have to sit next to him or her just take a moment and realize that there could very well be a problem you don't know about before you judge them.

Off my soapbox and promoting ADHD Awareness Day

Thank YOU

http://adhdexpertsoncall.com
    www.adhd.com
    www.chadd.com
    ~~~~~~

• Banned User

Re: ADHD Awareness Day~

I have to admit...I have ADHD. Which makes me unique and funny. I don't over do it at this age anymore and become annoying because i have matured.

Although, i do not take medication anymore...Its very easy to control.

• most magical vaca ever

Unique and Funny
    ~~~~~~

• Banned User

My jokes are out of this world also!

• Rawr...

I have ADD... not as severe, but it sure did affect the heck of me during my school career. With a little practice, I got better. Everyone can achive anything, so long as they can make themselves stay focused.

"What does ADHD stand for?"
    "Attention Deficet Hyperactive DisLETS GO RIDE BIKES!!!!"
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Banned User

Ihave ADD, not ADHD. Its the same thing in a way.

• most magical vaca ever

"What does ADHD stand for?"
    "Attention Deficet Hyperactive DisLETS GO RIDE BIKES!!!!"
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    ~~~~~~

• most magical vaca ever

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Ihave ADD, not ADHD. Its the same thing in a way.

Yes, pretty much the same thing.... just comes down to what they want to call it the week you're diagnosed
    ~~~~~~

• Banned User

It does affect me in school a lot. I have mass acomidations and such.

• Banned User

Oh hon, coming from a home where we deal with this daily I am so with you on being understanding when you see kids at the store throwing fits and such. Some times parents do not get there kids diagnoised.
    Rachal has always been a great kid, but her grades were beginning to be sub par,and she could not focus. after being on her adderall for a few months she has managed to be a straight A student, honor roll, student of the month and the teachers can not begin to tell me how they love her and how well she is doing. she was also just elected school treasurer!!!
    both my little boys ( my sons children) are on meds for ADHD and the change in them was 180 . they now can sit, do projects, and watch tv programs with out going bonkers.
    I my self am ADHD but can not afford the meds. Rachals cost us a fortune and my other meds were more important.

The point I would just like to get across to anyone who doesn't have to deal with this disorder is that when you see a child in a grocery store acting out or "THAT" kid in your child's class at school is so annoying and you wish your child didn't have to sit next to him or her just take a moment and realize that there could very well be a problem you don't know about before you judge them.
    yes. I agree

• Huh?

Ooo! Shiny!

Yep. I'm another of the ones that minds are currently driving the car... uhm, drifting off as I typewriters are interesting -- I remember the one my mother had.

I have only been medicated about 1.5 months of my life. I frequently struggle with it. I have a hard time keeping to my commitments and such.

I don't mean to be unreliable...

I just want to go to Disneyland right about now, but I can't quite get there on the money I have.
    -Tim

• most magical vaca ever

I don't mean to be unreliable...

I just want to go to Disneyland right about now, but I can't quite get there on the money I have.
    totally understandable Fruboo
    ~~~~~~

• I'm your huckleberry.

DM, as you know, I'm also the parent of a child with ADHD.

It's a constant struggle to teach her the skills she needs to be able to better control her behavior, but she's getting better every day. She was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 4, but I held off on medicating her until she was 6. My brother also has ADHD, and I saw the struggles he had with medication. Luckily meds have changed dramatically over the past few years.

She has been doing great on Concerta! My daughter is a straight A student, doesn't has behavioral problems at school (well, except for the normal pre-teen girl "chatter"), and has none of the side effects some kids experience on medication.

It's very trying to be a parent of a child with ADHD, but they usually are some of the smartest, funniest and most compassionate kids around!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Huh?

I thought this might be an appropriate time to start a club I've been considering....
    -Tim

• Banned User

Im in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast