Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking a dog-

• Original Mice-Chatter

Picking a dog-

Hi animal lovers!

I could use some advice. As you know I am closing on my house today and moving this weekend- woo. At some point in the not too distant future I want to get a dog. I like the idea of having a warm fuzzy lovie who barks to protect it's home and family.

I've never had a dog- of my own. Not really. I had a dog- but it loved Mom best. This time I would be Mom- and dog would love me. but I have some questions about dogs.

Breeds? I prefer mixed breeds- or does anyone have suggestions for breeds (mixed or otherwise) that are known for liking kids, cats and people and also being protective?

I will only get an animal at a shelter- preferably a young one so the cats and the dog can get used to each other- any tips on that?

Dog runs- we have one at the house already. I want to update it because it is all rock (poor little paws) - so, any tips on dog runs?

I don't want a dog that will jump fences, dig out, or generally destroy things- is that a breeding or a training issue?

A lot of care and thought will go into this decision- so I am gathering advice now.

Thanks

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Picking a dog-

Pound puppys are the best! Thats all I've ever had! If you could find a Golden retriever, lab or shephard mix, they usually make pretty good pets!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Hi animal lovers!

I could use some advice. As you know I am closing on my house today and moving this weekend- woo. At some point in the not too distant future I want to get a dog. I like the idea of having a warm fuzzy lovie who barks to protect it's home and family.

I've never had a dog- of my own. Not really. I had a dog- but it loved Mom best. This time I would be Mom- and dog would love me. but I have some questions about dogs.

Breeds? I prefer mixed breeds- or does anyone have suggestions for breeds (mixed or otherwise) that are known for liking kids, cats and people and also being protective?
    Labrador and german shepards are my favorite good with kids.
    But it all depends: if your interested in a short hair/long hair dog
    for maintenance wise.

I will only get an animal at a shelter- preferably a young one so the cats and the dog can get used to each other- any tips on that?
    Thats really nice to get one from the shelter, I think these dogs are more loyal to you. I think Cesar Milan said dogs dont live in the past they live in the moment. The now.

I don't want a dog that will jump fences, dig out, or generally destroy things- is that a breeding or a training issue?
    A lot of care and thought will go into this decision- so I am gathering advice now.
    If you have a Petco http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_p...ome_Nav_6.aspx
    or a Petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/training/index.shtml

Thanks
    Hope this helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• For old time sake

I'd suggest a lab. Good dogs very loving......
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I suggest a Shephard or lab mix. if you are looking for a loving dog that will protect- shephards are great and labs a very good with kids.
    If you can get a dog about a year old- housebreaking shouldn't be a problem cause the dog should already (hopefully) be housebroken - but he may need a refresher course. Also- watch Dog Whisperer- great show! Great advise. I Tivo it.
    I have a boxer- great dog- great with kids, hardly barks, but will protect his home (and will bark if someone comes to the door who shouldn't be) but alot of energy so unless you have the time to handle this dog, I don't advise on getting them. Same goes for Dalmations. They need a lot of "me" time.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Pound puppys are the best! Thats all I've ever had! If you could find a Golden retriever, lab or shephard mix, they usually make pretty good pets!
    My dog is a Pound puppy. Beagles are very loyal, which is what I have. This dog meets us at the door, loves to go for walks. When we are home he is no more then two feet away. Very loyal. Labs are excellent, very loyal. I have had him for about 8 years and no problems.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Huh?

What I'd like to get some day is a Shiba... very pretty dog.

And one thing I like about them:

The Shiba is a fastidious breed and feels the need to maintain themselves in a clean state. They can often be seen to lick their paws and legs much like a cat. They generally go out of their way to keep their coats clean and whilst walking will avoid stepping in puddles, mud and dirt. Because of their fastidious nature, the Shiba puppy is surprisingly easy to housebreak and in most cases will housebreak themselves. Having their owner simply place them outside after meal times and naps is generally enough to teach the Shiba the appropriate method of toiletting.
    -Tim

• no flash photography...

my dog is a shepard, chow and poodle looking dog mix. he is very loving and protective. He's very smaert and has been relativly easy to train. He started digging when he was a puppy, but it was VERY hot at the time and the books say they do that to get a cool place to lay in. He hasn't dug since until we had to fix a sprinkler. He saw my Bf did this really big hole and now he finds it really fun to dig up that same hole. Other than that he has been a great dog.

We had a pure bred german shepard growing up as well as two golden retrivers and a yellow lab. They were very good dogs. Probably any mixes of those would great...

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree...Labs are great dogs...but, lab/chow mixes are SO SO cute!! The ones I have known were very loveable but, also VERY protective of the kids and home. German Shepherds are great too. I've only known one, but, he was great. So sweet, but, VERY protective of his house. He'd bark at everyone...until he recognized you.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    First of all, I want to say it is FANTASTIC that you will only consider a shelter pet! Not only will you gain a companion, you'll be saving a life!

Second... go to the AKC website and research the various temperments of the breeds. Try to find one that matches the lifestyle of your family. For example, if you prefer to be low-key and not particularly active, a beagle (or a beagle mix) may not be the best bet. Conversely, don't look at a bassett hound if you like to be very active and go running every day.

When you go to the shelter, take your time, greet each dog and try to get a feel for their personality. Chances are your intuition will kick in, and you'll know which dog is right for you.

Good luck finding a new pet Neph!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I am so glad to hear you want to get it from a shelter!!

My husband's whole family has golden retrievers- literally there are like 10 of them in his small family. I thought that was weird. Now we have one and I see why. I don't think I'll ever have another kind of dog. I trust him implicitly with my son and I am not even slightly worried about the new baby coming. He is the most gentle, well behaved dog ever! If you find one, snatch him up!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Island Paradise

Awww. How great for you, your kids and the lucky pound puppy that will cherish all of you!

We adopted our Lab through a rescue organization here in California. She was a stray running the streets of LA. Under weight at 45 lbs. Four years later she weighs 88 lbs. The girl loves mealtime and treats. Our lab has become a very important member of our family.

This is one of the best nation wide adoption websites out there:
    http://www.petfinder.org/ They provide links to animals in shelters across the nation and info related to breeds and adoption.

Have a great time finding a new family member!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    I am so glad to hear you want to get it from a shelter!!

My husband's whole family has golden retrievers- literally there are like 10 of them in his small family. I thought that was weird. Now we have one and I see why. I don't think I'll ever have another kind of dog. I trust him implicitly with my son and I am not even slightly worried about the new baby coming. He is the most gentle, well behaved dog ever! If you find one, snatch him up!
    before we got our current dog I could ahve gotten a rescue golden for $200.00. She was 1 year old, spayed and had all her shots and my Bf said no. I was so sad. i love goldens, but I love the dog we ended up with also..

• Minion

I'm not much of a dog person but would choose a Labrador before any other breed. A good friend of mine is on her fourth Lab that she obtained from the Guide Dog Foundation. Many of these animals don't cut it when it comes to graduation and they are put up for adoption.

The training these puppies go through is astounding and they are totally socialized.

• Mexihick, y'all

No point in really asking for breed help, as pound dogs typically aren't purebreds. I would just go for whatever dog suits YOU. Stay away from the pits at the pound, also the other dog aggressive breeds. As for chewing, destroying, digging...it's dependant upon you. Petsmart offers a wonderful line of classes for 99 dollars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast