Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• love my friends

Re: How do you deal with the pain?

i admire the amish.. when I lvived in canada we dont ahve amish people there.. we have hunderites which to me are sort of the same.. they arent but have the same lifestyles..no outside technology, etc.. I admire them.. they come together through tradgey as well...

when i saw this on TV.. i cried and cried.. the pain the families and whole community must be going through is too overwhelming for me..

My thoughts and prayers are with the comunity and family

Friends for life

I don't have TV ( I have A TV, but no TV reception) So I've been spared all the sensationalism from the lateest onslaught.

I have 4 daughters, and as a family we share a lot of the same values and faith as the Mennonites. For the Amish, their faith speaks of a loving God, and they lean on His everlasting arm. This kind of loss is horrific for any family, and yes I have cried. I have also cried for the families and students in Bailey Colorado... Who do they have to lean on?

• Sept. 29, 2006: 15-year-old Eric Hainstock brought two guns to a school in rural Cazenovia, Wis., and fatally shot the principal, a day after the principal gave him a disciplinary warning for having tobacco on school grounds, police said.

• Sept. 27, 2006: Duane Morrison, 53, took six girls hostage at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colo. Morrison, sexually assaulting them and using them as human shields for hours before fatally shooting one girl and killing himself.

• Aug. 24, 2006: Christopher Williams, 27, went to an elementary school in Essex, Vermont, looking for his ex-girlfriend, a teacher. He couldn't find her and fatally shot one teacher and wounded another, police said. Williams also killed his ex-girlfriend's mother, according to authorities. He shot himself twice in the head after the rampage and was arrested.

• March 21, 2005: Sixteen-year-old Jeff Weise shot and killed five schoolmates, a teacher and an unarmed guard at a high school on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota before taking his own life. Weise had earlier killed his grandfather and his grandfather's companion.

• Nov. 22, 2004: Sixteen-year-old Desmond Keels is accused of fatally shooting one student and wounding three others outside Strawberry Mansion High in Philadelphia. The attack apparently was over a $50 debt in a rap contest. Keels is set to stand trial on murder charges later this month.

• April 24, 2003: 14-year-old James Sheets shot and killed the principal in the crowded cafeteria of a junior high school in south-central Pennsylvania, before killing himself.

• May 26, 2000: 13-year-old Nathaniel Brazill killed his English teacher on the last day of classes in Lake Worth, Fla., after the teacher refused to let him talk with two girls in his classroom. He was convicted of second-degree murder and is serving a 28-year sentence.

• April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 23 before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo.

• May 21, 1998: Two teenagers were killed and more than 20 people hurt when a teenage boy opened fire at a high school in Springfield, Ore., after killing his parents. Kip Kinkel, 17, was sentenced to nearly 112 years in prison.

• May 19, 1998: Three days before his graduation, an honor student opened fire at a high school in Fayetteville, Tenn., killing a classmate who was dating his ex-girlfriend. Jacob Davis, 18, was sentenced to life in prison.

• March 24, 1998: Two boys, ages 11 and 13, fired on their Jonesboro, Ark., middle school from nearby woods, killing four girls and a teacher and wounding 10 others. Both boys were later convicted of murder and can be held until age 21.

• Dec. 1, 1997: Three students were killed and five wounded at a high school in West Paducah, Ky. Michael Carneal, then 14, later pleaded guilty but mentally ill to murder and is serving life in prison.

• Oct. 1, 1997: Sixteen-year-old Luke Woodham of Pearl, Miss., fatally shot two students and wounded seven others after stabbing his mother to death. He was sentenced the following year to three life sentences.

I'm sure a list can go on and on, what the hell is wrong with kids today?!
    My first inclination is to blame video games, but kids in the 1940's and 1950's watched cartoons that were violent, so it can't be that.

I want to blame poverty, but there was much worse and wide spread poverty durring the Great Depession, and you did not see the lack of respect for human life you see today.

Man, I'm welling up again..

• love my friends

kids are becoming more violent more and more.. and I dont understand why.. people blame poverty but i dont think that is it at all....... I think it is they want power for soem reason..

it is a sick sick world we live in

Friends for life

• My cuties!

I think the video games of today are WAY worse than the cartoon violence of the 40s and 50s.

How heartbreaking to read about the little one who asked to be shot first in hopes that the creep would spare the lives of the other girls?

I'm reading Violent Young Children by M.D. Glicken right now for a masters level class. It sort of answers these questions. We can't just blame one thing for all of this. It's a very stressful read though. I'm learning what NOT to do when I have kids. I already know the video game topic and what movies we'll allow our kids to watch is going to be hard to decide since it's so normal now for young kids to watch adult things or play violent games that they can't really comprehend. My husband is into video games and I hate them. He thinks I'm overreacting. A lot of people don't see the reality of the relationship between fantasy violence and real violence.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    what the hell is wrong with kids today?!
    My first inclination is to blame video games, but kids in the 1940's and 1950's watched cartoons that were violent, so it can't be that.

Nothing is wrong with kids today.

The Amish shooter and the other monster in CO were adults.

Each generation of adults feels their children are a mess, listen to bad music, etc. This has been, and will be a pattern forever.

In working in crisis counseling, I see a MAJOR problem in parenting. Remember, kids aren't raised in a vacuum. Parents are supposed to be checking in on their kids every once in a while. How do you NOT know your kid has stockpile of weapons, or has built bombs?

Parents HAVE to stop being their kid's friend, and start being parents.

It is very uncommon for a 'normal' kid to just one day snap and shoot up a school. This process and breakdown takes quite a while and doesn't happen overnight. The sad thing is that it is easier for people to stick their head in the sand, then to ask the hard questions like, "Why does Billy always draw pictures of him shooting someone?" etc.

We have a responsibility to our children, and our future.

Quote Originally Posted by brigeet View Post
    We can't just blame one thing for all of this.
    So true....each child is different and the circumstances under which they are brought up are different. With some kids there are tons of signs that something is wrong that just get ignored by friends, parents, teachers, etc. I'm a teacher and it makes me very angry and afraid when I see a kid exhibiting certain behaviors that may lead to much more dangerous issues and the parents to nothing about it! I'm not blaming it all on parents but they are a huge factor on the lives of their children.
    Last edited by duckiedianne; 10-08-2006 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Parents HAVE to stop being their kid's friend, and start being parents.
    So true!!

• Minion

In the very early '90s I talked with an Anaheim Police Officer who was assigned to the Gang Unit and he told me how he would go into homes where the child's room was a dead giveaway to what he was up to and the parents were clueless. They would often tell him that it was the child's room and therefore off limits to them.

At that time he said that Anaheim had 35 recognizable gangs within the city limits based upon the tags and graffiti and arrest records. One can only imagine what those numbers are at now.

He also said in many cases the parents actually encourage the gang mentality since a lot of fathers were once street kids themselves and gang members, therefore they fully condoned their criminal and anti-social behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
    He also said in many cases the parents actually encourage the gang mentality since a lot of fathers were once street kids themselves and gang members, therefore they fully condoned their criminal and anti-social behavior.
    The only schools that I have ever taught at long term have been Title One schools in Southern California and this is definitely a problem. I had a Kindergarten student whose mother is a prostitute and just let her kids do whatever the hell they wanted. I also had a 4th grader whose father was the leader of the local gang and was setting up his kids to take over the gang.....what is a teacher supposed to do.....?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12