Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Sad How do you deal with the pain?

Funerals for Amish Girls

Honest to God I feel like I am just going to cry- often, over this.

All roads leading into the village of Nickel Mines, the site of the shooting, were blocked off so the Amish could gather quietly in three homes for funerals of Naomi Rose Ebersole, 7; Marian Fisher, 13; Mary Liz Miller, 8; and her sister Lena Miller, 7. The funeral for a fifth girl, Anna Mae Stoltzfus, 12, is scheduled for Friday
    Sisters? Oh that poor family Such little girls......

The country coroner, G. Gary Kirchner, said he was contacted Tuesday by a doctor at Penn State Children's Hospital in Hershey who said doctors were planning to take one victim off life support so that she could be brought home. He said he was told Dr. D. Holmes Morton, who runs a clinic that serves Amish children, would be the clinician in charge.
    Morton said Thursday that published reports that a 6-year-old had been taken off life-support and taken home to die were accurate "as far as I know."
    6 years old That's my Rosie.

all I can think of is what those poor little girls went through- the fear and the horror and the tears.....I want to go home and wrap my arms around my beautiful daughter and just love her.

It's unbearable. This is just too much.......

I have to say though- if you read the article and see the forgiveness these people practice and their attitude towards the widow and children of the maniac who killed these girls....it's downright humbling. I could not do the same.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: How do you deal with the pain?

That's why I admire the Amish. They realized that the widow and her children are also victims.

• Say no to Assimilation

It's horrible. I have a 6 year old too and I never want to imagine losing her. I look at cases like this and I see all the autrocities going on in Congo and Darfur and it makes me sad. If you haven't seen what is going on in Congo and other parts of Africa, I highly recommend you tune into Anderson Cooper this week. He was there last night and I think he is broadcasting there tonight as well. CNN is also doing a piece on it this weekend with Sanjay Gupta.(Sp?)
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie View Post
    It's horrible. I have a 6 year old too and I never want to imagine losing her. I look at cases like this and I see all the autrocities going on in Congo and Darfur and it makes me sad. If you haven't seen what is going on in Congo and other parts of Africa, I highly recommend you tune into Anderson Cooper this week. He was there last night and I think he is broadcasting there tonight as well. CNN is also doing a piece on it this weekend with Sanjay Gupta.(Sp?)
    I think, Oprah might be doing a show on something like that too but I am not sure. I don't know which country she will showcase, but it will be one in bad condition.

Back to subject, yes, I can't imagine the pain the Amish community must be in.

There's a Christian author, Beverly Lewis, who writes (fiction) books about Lancaster County and the Amish families there. She has used some of those names for characters in her books.
    Reading her works has given me a lot of insight into the lives the Amish lead. What a tragedy for such an unassuming people who rely so heavily on one another and their deeply rooted faith!

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by fairygoodmother View Post
    There's a Christian author, Beverly Lewis, who writes (fiction) books about Lancaster County and the Amish families there. She has used some of those names for characters in her books.
    What names?
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Angry Re: How do you deal with the pain?

I was so offended the other night when my Grandma was watching NBC news the other night. I am not sure who the anchor was but he said before going on story after story about this tragedy...

"It's such a shame and and very sad that innocent people that shun tehncology and the media have to mourn in front of cameras as the whole nation is watching"

WHAT?!! If it is so "Sad and such a shame" then get the fricking cameras out of there and leave them the Heck alone!!!

What a hypocrit!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think we all deal with this type of horror in different ways. My way is....I don't look at it. I can't. I've seen the headlines and have seen glimpses of that funeral, but with three kids of my own, I can't allow my mind to go there. It would simply eat me alive. Not sure if that is cowardly or not, but I've got quite enough on my plate already and emotionally, I'm looking for things that will make me smile. Ergo, one of the reasons I try to make a trip to the DLR at least once a week. I would much rather hold on to the image of a little girl running up to Cinderella looking for a hug, and take that with me for the rest of the week. I've prayed for those families, but I can't let my mind dwell there. I just can't.

I've been reading the articles about this story, and I can say I am very impressed with the Amish attitudes expressed. I'm also pleased that they were given the space to hold their funerals privately- air space and roads were blocked off. Media was kept out.

Good.

Now I read the Amish leaders have set up a fund to help the widow and her children. Wow. That's impressive- that even in the middle of their grief they understand that she is a victim as well, and had nothing to do with her husband's rampage.

I am just stunned.

As far as how do you deal with it? I obviously have never lost a child, but I have lost a parent and 3 grandparents. I deal with it by remembering that the sun will rise tomorrow and I need to make a choice- will I live my life or will I sit in a corner and cry?

I've chosen to move forward. Things need to be done. Just do it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Neep meep beep

I have great respect for how the Amish community has come together strongly and silently, without the need for press statements, or anything but mourning an act of violence from an unstable member of their religion.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Sad Re: How do you deal with the pain?

I respect the Amish peoples sense of calm in light of the hurt and anguish they must be going through. What 'strength' that must take.

I don't really know what I would do if I were in their same situation. I guess I would just pray and exercise a lot - when I get hurt deeply, I get an intense feeling of fatigue - and then an adrenaline surge comes over me and I need to 'work it out'. Prayer and exercise.

Prayers sent up for those lost and those still here experiencing those lost. I can't even imagine.......

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie View Post
    What names?
    The last names of the children have been used in her books: Ebersole, Fisher, Miller, Stoltzfus

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by fairygoodmother View Post
    The last names of the children have been used in her books: Ebersole, Fisher, Miller, Stoltzfus
    Are they common Amish last names or did the author know these families personally?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    I was so offended the other night when my Grandma was watching NBC news the other night. I am not sure who the anchor was but he said before going on story after story about this tragedy...

"It's such a shame and and very sad that innocent people that shun tehncology and the media have to mourn in front of cameras as the whole nation is watching"

WHAT?!! If it is so "Sad and such a shame" then get the fricking cameras out of there and leave them the Heck alone!!!

What a hypocrit!
    I agree. Not only do I feel really bad about the loss of the girls, but I feel sorry for the Amish because the media is invading their space and beliefs! These people do not feel comfortable being put on camera!

I've been reading the articles about this story, and I can say I am very impressed with the Amish attitudes expressed. I'm also pleased that they were given the space to hold their funerals privately- air space and roads were blocked off. Media was kept out.

Good.
    Glad to hear. I am also thankful that a local radio host was able to keep that infamous protesting "Baptist" group away from the ceremonies in exchange for an hour of time on his radio show.

Now I read the Amish leaders have set up a fund to help the widow and her children. Wow. That's impressive- that even in the middle of their grief they understand that she is a victim as well, and had nothing to do with her husband's rampage.
    I love the Amish because of their generosity and wonderful, forgiving attitudes.

Prayers sent up for those lost and those still here experiencing those lost. I can't even imagine.......
    I send my prayers and thoughts their way too.

• most magical vaca ever

This whole tragedy affected me so much that I still cry when I see it on tv!

We just visited Lancaster, PA back in late August and it just breaks my heart.

The Amish totally amaze me and I hope we can all learn something from them.
    ~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast