Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Fish tanks, whos got one and how is it decorated?

my son wants one, and so for his birthday he will be getting a 30 gallon or 55 galon tank, but he wants pirates of the caribean and so far I have not found the back ground for the tanks. anyone here got this theming? if not what kind do you have?
    I have always been good with tanks, and my fish always had lots of babies, I gave them all away to my son everytime he wanted a tank, but he always broke them or trashed them. I love doing fish tanks, but its been a few years. I am as excited as my son!!!

• For You!

Re: Fish tanks, whos got one and how is it decorated?

I saw at Wal-Mart actual POTC fish tank scenes - with Davy Jones and Captain Sparrow.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

We've got one here- a remnant from hubby's girlfriend. In the tank - plants, a dwarf water frog (named Shortbus), a snail, and a bottom-feeder fish. She's also got a glass frog statue in there but it usually tips over. The plants grow like crazy and have to be thinned every so often.

When we moved to California we had to leave hubby's several years old Striped Oscar (named Buckwheat) with a friend. He wouldn't have survived the drive here. That was a fun fish- the guys used to feed him grasshoppers and spiders. He knew when people were around and he'd come to the surface and eat from your fingers.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

That is my hobby. I have two salt water tanks and two fresh water tanks.

The fresh water are both tall hex tanks (about 40 gal each)
    One of the salt is a 39 gal show tank (eclipse)
    The other salt is what is known as a "Micro Reef" or a small reef tank setup.

I keep all sorts of fish but you can bet that I have a Nemo and Marlin

As for how to theme it, you can get that anywhere. Do a google search for Pirate fish tank and you'll find lots of items. Just remember that you can't make the fish happy by putting lots of stuff in the tank, their main concern is good water quality and food.

Make sure that the take has good filtration, is kept clean, and not in direct sun light. I would also recommend planting the tank as it helps with the water quality and gives the fish something natural to pick at (keeps them busy).

Let us know what you end up buying and how you are setting it up. I'll keep an eye open in case you need any help.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here you go Karla. These are both under $10. The pictures are links:

-Dusty

Find us on Facebook:

• Banned User

ok so here is what I got so far.....

what do you think?
    I am acually really good at tanks, ( fresh, I sure wish I could do salt, but the money cost is way over the top.
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 09-12-2007 at 10:46 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    That is my hobby. I have two salt water tanks and two fresh water tanks.

The fresh water are both tall hex tanks (about 40 gal each)
    One of the salt is a 39 gal show tank (eclipse)
    The other salt is what is known as a "Micro Reef" or a small reef tank setup.

I keep all sorts of fish but you can bet that I have a Nemo and Marlin

As for how to theme it, you can get that anywhere. Do a google search for Pirate fish tank and you'll find lots of items. Just remember that you can't make the fish happy by putting lots of stuff in the tank, their main concern is good water quality and food.

Make sure that the take has good filtration, is kept clean, and not in direct sun light. I would also recommend planting the tank as it helps with the water quality and gives the fish something natural to pick at (keeps them busy).

Let us know what you end up buying and how you are setting it up. I'll keep an eye open in case you need any help.

-Dusty
    I was thinking a 29 long so its not as high, ( what do you think) and more room for the guppys he wants. also a frog, and bottom feeders. what other fish go well and are pretty with guppys? I need your sugestions on fish, its been a while and the last tanks were cichlids ( those were awsome) oscars, and a comunity fish of sords, tetra;s and assorted other fish.

• Banned User

I would like to do brackish, how hard is that to do Dusty? what type of filtration? we would love gobbies,puffer fish and the prettier fish.

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    ok so here is what I got so far.....

what do you think?
    I am acually really good at tanks, ( fresh, I sure wish I could do salt, but the money cost is way over the top.
    Very cool! Love the POTC idea!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    I would like to do brackish, how hard is that to do Dusty? what type of filtration? we would love gobbies,puffer fish and the prettier fish.
    I don't recommend Brackish water tanks. The term "Brackish" is very loose. Each type of "Brackish" fish needs a different salinity. Some fish that are sold as Brackish are actually Salt or Fresh water fish that have been slowly acclimated to Brackish conditions but which are not likely to fair well over time.

Stick with Fresh water since that is what you know. Don't mix Cichlids with Community fish (like guppies). The only Cichlids that I can recommend with Guppies (which I also breed) are Rams. Get a pretty little Blue or Jewel Ram and some beautiful Guppies. Here's a fun project. Have your son pick only guppies of a certain color (or two) that he really likes and then teach him how to breed them to make his own variety of guppy.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I don't recommend Brackish water tanks. The term "Brackish" is very loose. Each type of "Brackish" fish needs a different salinity. Some fish that are sold as Brackish are actually Salt or Fresh water fish that have been slowly acclimated to Brackish conditions but which are not likely to fair well over time.

Stick with Fresh water since that is what you know. Don't mix Cichlids with Community fish (like guppies). The only Cichlids that I can recommend with Guppies (which I also breed) are Rams. Get a pretty little Blue or Jewel Ram and some beautiful Guppies. Here's a fun project. Have your son pick only guppies of a certain color (or two) that he really likes and then teach him how to breed them to make his own variety of guppy.
    oh man the advice is awsome !!! tell me more!! I will go look for this fish now, thank you so much for your advice, ( I value it so much and I will not go near brackish

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

They are pretty:

Find us on Facebook:

• decorating

Spongebob squarepants and Squidward with a plastic plant and green gravel.

Ask about who gets along with puffers- I always get shut down putting puffers in with my freshwaters- they do NOT get along well with some fish.(I have mollies and guppies)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    I always get shut down putting puffers in with my freshwaters- they do NOT get along well with some fish.(I have mollies and guppies)
    I've tried puffers many times. Always ends in heartbreak. They look so cute, but bite the fins off of their tank mates. Angel fish do the same darn thing.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Banned User

ok, new questions ....
    I have always had an umderwater gravel filter, and power heads... also back of the tank weater fall filters. my tanks have always been clear, and fish seem to bread like mad, so..... my question is... do I need the under water gravel filter, and power heads in a 29 long, or just do the back of the tank filter and just do water changes ( 25 to 30 %) and gravel cleaning every few weeks? do you use under gravel filters? are there necessary, and about power heads, they give off awsome movement and areation, is this good ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast