Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• That Guy

Someone PLEASE take the Arizona Cardinals Off Our Hands!!

Wow, that game was a disaster last night.

How do you go from being up by 20 at the half, to losing?

This is a great article that ran in today's Arizona Republic:

Glendale gets spotlight; Cards get heartbreak

The Arizona Republic
    Oct. 17, 2006 12:00 AM
    This should be a terrible surprise.

This should be a high-voltage shock to the system, enough to make diehard fans swear off football forever.

Sadly, it is not.

It is not surprising at all, and really, that's the worst part.

This is merely the Cardinal Way. So the Bears leave bloodied yet unbeaten, with a 24-23 victory safely stowed in their carry-on luggage. The small army of transplanted Chicagoans left the stadium stunned and happy, even if they paid a king's ransom for their tickets. The rest of us ponder what this bumbling, stumbling franchise can do for an encore.

The Cardinals have played four regular-season games at their beautiful new stadium. Three have been lost in gut-wrenching fashion. A new era?

Yeah, but only if you're talking about a new era of pain and suffering.

"I've never been associated with a loss when it became clear the (Bears') offense couldn't score a touchdown," Cardinals head coach Dennis Green said.

Yep, it's true. For a while, our beleaguered franchise was actually kicking sand in the bully's face. The cool-hand rookie, Matt Leinart, was embracing the bright lights and carving up the vaunted Bears' defense. After the game, the Bears raved about the Cardinals' game plan in the first half.

But when it came time to bear down, man up and walk away with the girl, the Cardinals found a way to do what they do best: lose.

"The way things have turned out is just unreal," running back Edgerrin James said.

No doubt. Broadcaster Joe Theismann called this one "the most bizarre game I've seen in 31 years in pro football as a player and broadcaster." Green blew a gasket in a rambling, postgame diatribe, slamming the podium in anger.

Alas, already plagued with new tales of in-house fighting, the Green Regime might never recover from this one.

"I've never played so bad and won a game like that," Bears quarterback Rex Grossman said.

From the beginning, you sensed this one could be different. Grossman missed a wide-open receiver and a sure touchdown pass on the first play of the game.

Soon thereafter, Bertrand Berry got his first sack of the season, forcing a turnover in the process. Green actually won a coach's challenge, ending a streak of 10 consecutive failures. And an oft-ridiculed offensive line rallied around its new center, Nick Leckey, and actually punched holes in a vicious defense.

The Cardinals led 20-0 at halftime. The defense allowed no touchdowns in the second half. And by the time the clock expired, the visitors had pulled off a ridiculous comeback.

Yet few in the Valley are surprised this morning. If you're an exception, then you haven't been watching this team for long.

Against the Chiefs, the Cardinals allowed Larry Johnson to run a mile with a screen pass, thus setting up the winning score. Against the Bears, they allowed Devin Hester to return a punt for a game-winning touchdown.

To paraphrase Johnny Depp, the Cardinals love these little moments of fourth-quarter truth. They love to wave at them as they run toward the other end zone. And just when you thought that maybe they could escape their own weekly self-destruction, driving for a winning field goal to steal back the victory, Neil Rackers went bust once again.

Last year, he put together one of the greatest seasons a NFL kicker has ever enjoyed. This year, he's getting the karma slap. Thus, the ultimate paradox: A franchise renowned for its greed also is stunning in its on-field generosity. And now the rest of the nation knows our dirty little secret.

What a shame. What a joke. What a waste.

What a great franchise . . . for masochists.

Re: Someone PLEASE take the Arizona Cardinals Off Our Hands!!

It could be worse, you could be a Detroit Lions fan like me.

• Minion

I'll be at the Arizona game when they come to Green Bay on Oct. 29. Two great teams that will probably fighting hard for a playoff spot. Should be a great game.

• Married and happy again!!

How much would you give me to take them off your hands? While my team (Eagles) has a winning record they are not playing as good as they should be. We lost 2 we shouldn't have lost.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    To paraphrase Johnny Depp, the Cardinals love these little moments of fourth-quarter truth. They love to wave at them as they run toward the other end zone. And just when you thought that maybe they could escape their own weekly self-destruction, driving for a winning field goal to steal back the victory, Neil Rackers went bust once again.
    Sorry for your loss. But at least he was able to work Johnny into the article, as most sportswriters should.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover View Post
    How much would you give me to take them off your hands? While my team (Eagles) has a winning record they are not playing as good as they should be. We lost 2 we shouldn't have lost.

I'll give you $5 and a half a pack of sugar-free chewing gum.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover View Post
    I'll give the Eagles the Giants game ... they should have won that game. But don't take anything away from the Saints. They outplayed Philly ... period.

And remember Arizona Fans ... my 49ers were just a couple of plays away from tying that game in the 4th and almost did.

I just want to LMAO at those people who were picking the Cardinals to go to the Super Bowl this year. They are good ... getting better ... but you still need an O-line to open up holes for your RB and protect your QB.

Not to mention a defense that will let any team back in the game at anytime.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Couldn't stand Bidwell from the beginning. Send
    him and his St. Louis Cardinals back to all his fans
    there. They have NEVER been a Phoenix or
    Arizona team, in my opinion (even with their new
    rinky dink area in Glendale) And I'm still upset
    that they never changed their name from "Cardinals"
    to something else more representative of Arizona.

• That Guy

Sad Re: Someone PLEASE take the Arizona Cardinals Off Our Hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I just want to LMAO at those people who were picking the Cardinals to go to the Super Bowl this year.
    SirClinks,

They will be going to the SuperBowl!!!!

They will sit in Section 208, row 10, seats five thro.......................

• Circle of Ancients

^ Lmao!!!!

They should share a limo with the 49ers.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Yea, glad I avoided Glendale last night. They really had the Bears. Too bad; I'll be there to see my Cowboys be down by 20 and then come back in the 4th!
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

I'll give you $5 and a half a pack of sugar-free chewing gum.
    I'll take it maybe I can make some use out of them cleaning up my restaurant. The gum was the clincher.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'll give the Eagles the Giants game ... they should have won that game. But don't take anything away from the Saints. They outplayed Philly ... period.

And remember Arizona Fans ... my 49ers were just a couple of plays away from tying that game in the 4th and almost did.

I just want to LMAO at those people who were picking the Cardinals to go to the Super Bowl this year. They are good ... getting better ... but you still need an O-line to open up holes for your RB and protect your QB.

Not to mention a defense that will let any team back in the game at anytime.
    Philly never showed up for the game there's the bottem line on that. They sort of played the 3rd quarter but you can't win playing 1 of 4 quarters. I will say the Saints are a better team but not a great team.

• GO DBACKS!!

Maybe if Rackers would wear his Nicotine patch on his arm like everyone else he would start making those easy fieldgoals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    And I'm still upset
    that they never changed their name from "Cardinals"
    to something else more representative of Arizona.
    Agreed.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• For You!

I just remember when I was living there they were trying to pass a bond to get a new stadium for them - I was in shock, and greatful that I was moving away!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast