Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For old time sake

Disneykat goes to College...well sorta (PHOTO HEAVY)

Last night Mr.Disneykat and I were surprised to find out that we would be going to the Duke vs. Miami game this afternoon. After a brief stop at my work (someone had to take a 2 hr shift over for us for our church fundraiser), we were off to Durham to the great Duke University!!!!!

I admit, this spoiled USC Trojan fan compared D.U.M.B. (Duke University Marching band...yes they call themselves "D.U.M.B.) to TMB

They kind of reminded me of Standford Marching Band!!!!

So the game started (after the Marching band poked fun at Miamai by having a "mock brawl" in the end zone), and Duke is not by any means well known for their football (though they did win Rose Bowls and such in the 40's and 50's), so i joked with Mr. Disneykat that if they did get past the 50 yd line...i'd take a picture:

1st time:

of course they fumbled.....but they did make it a 2nd time:

And while they fought hard in the 2nd half (scored 13 pts) They sadly lost to Miami, but let me tell you it was a very good game. Duke, on paper, out played Miami in the 2nd half (stupid 5 turnovers total in the game...GAH). The last few seconds of the game were tense. Duke was 3rd down on the 6 with 3 seconds left. Little old man next to me said "Do you think we can do it?" I said "I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm a So Cal fan." Thaddeus Lewis threw and it was intercepted... Duke lost 20-15. Good Game guys!!! Good Game

After the game, Mr. Disneykat and I decided to walk around campus, hit the Campus "chapel" (I say that because it's HUGE), bookstore and Cameron Indoor Staduim.

On the way, We passed by one of the dorm buildings, complete with bell tower:

Then, to the Chapel:

I tried to get indoor pics of the entire chapel, but the lighting was dim and I do not have a super pro camera. They came out less than beautiful and slightly blurry. I can tell you that this is one of the most popular wedding locations for Duke Alums. Booked way way (like YEARS) in advance. I did, however, get pics of the stained glass windows:

Mr. and Mrs. Disneykat outside the Chapel building

I apologize for the multitude of Chapel pics, but the building/architecture is just so gorgeous:

Mr. Disneykat wanted a picture without the trees "in the way" and this one shows you just how blue the sky was today:

Mr. Disneykat demonstrates the wonders of aerodynamics currently being studied at Duke

Mr. Disneykat on the Duke Campus:

Yours Truly also on the duke campus, Fear not, I have not traded my USC love for Duke love, nor do I plan to:

Dorm room Building:

Corridor of the dorm room building:

More to follow....................
    Last edited by Disneykat; 10-21-2006 at 06:05 PM.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For You!

Re: Disneykat goes to College...well sorta (PHOTO HEAVY)

Sounds like fun - but not a very big crowd! Especially since they were playing Miami!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Love the pics!

• For old time sake

And now Micechatters, we enter Hallowed, and sacred ground:

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Disneykat's favorite time of the year is college basketball season, where his beloved Duke Blue Devels excel. In over 20 years of coaching, Coack K has taken Duke Basketball to the NCAA Championship 3 times ('91, '92 and "01) and they have, many times, captured the Conference Championship, thus moving them onto the National Tournament aka...MARCH MADNESS!!!!).

Duke basketball tickets are very much in demand for students that they will wait overnight for a coveted ticket. And if you can imagine, this field is lined with tents, filled with students waiting for 1 of 2500 tickets that is given out (regular season tickets are sold out for MANY YEARS)

So, into the Stadium we go. Found out that Coach K was in the building signing autographs for the coaches who attended a coaching clinic. Let me tell you how sad we were that we could not see him. But we did get to see the court:

Mr. Disneykat shows off the national Championship flags:

And...the moment of ALL moments.....the touching of the floor of champions:

And the sitting in of the chairs that have seen many disappointments for those "other" teams:

Yes, it was a full day indeed:

And then, we went home:

Bye bye, Duke, thanks for the memories:
    Last edited by Disneykat; 10-21-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Sounds like fun - but not a very big crowd! Especially since they were playing Miami!
    Meh...it;s Duke football...big crowds are for Wake Forest, UNC, NC State....
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For You!

I love the Coach K sign!!! That's awesome!! Hope you'll get to go to some of the basketball games!! Those would be fun!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Great pics Katie! Looks like you guys had a wonderful outing.

• Man O Lantern

How great!! But seriously, there are so many Miami fans, I'm shocked there weren't that many people there. Looks like a high school game. And not a good high school.

Go Coach K!!!

I'm a huuuuuuge ACC fan, I knew I liked Derek!!

Duke's campus is fabulous. Amazingly gorgeous--went just don't have campuses like that on the West Coast.

I went when I was in 7th grade and again in 11th grade. I took the SATs there in 7th grade. It was one of the most memorable days of my life. I've been a huge Duke fan ever since.

Go Blue Devils!!

• For old time sake

There was a large group of Miami fans to our left. We were seated just below the Duke "box" aka where all the big wigs were. But yea, the Miami fans were terrible. they were showing off their jersey's and being silly over 5...5 points when 3 second earlier they were literally silent and shaking. So, I walked up to one and said "Buddy, you can celebrate over 5 points when you beat Southern Cal in the National Championships...oh wait, i forgot, miami isn't even in the top 25!!!" then I walked away. Pshhhh 5 measly points. They should be ashamed. I know I would be if it were USC. LOL

Jen, getting tickets to a Duke Basketball game is highly unlikely unless you know someone who has tickets and is silly enough to give them up. I asked Derek if I would be his favoritest person in the world if I got tickets. he said i already was his favoritest, but that would be great if i could get tickets.

I think he's getting a Coach K bobblehead for Christmas!!!!
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Great pics, MaterKat!! That's cool you got to see that much stuff...especially the basketball court.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Disneykat - thanks for some great pictures...the Duke campus is beautiful!

That crowd, by the way, was at least larger than that for a usual USC basketball game, at least in years past -

And Coach K ( Shuh-Seff'-Skee) has to be one of the class individuals ever in sports, perhaps second only to the Wizard of Westwood, John Wooden.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• For old time sake

Barry, Mr, Disneykat says "damn straight"
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For You!

Well, Kat - if you can't get tickets to the game, the next best thing is a Coack K bobblehead!!!

• For old time sake

No kidding Jen, I looked after Mr. Disneykat went to church rhis morning. $35!!!!! i may have to just up and get one for him. He really wanted one!!!
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Disneykat - Is it true that the Miami players were sort of in a daze, since they were at a school where some players actually go to class, and where "turning pro" doesn't always mean heading to the NFL, or a "guest appearance" on COPS? Or both?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast