Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Living with Diabetes

So Tuesday I find out I have type 2 Diabetes. It really didn't come as much of a surprise since it runs in my family and I don't take care of myself. Now that I am over the shock, I am trying to figure out what to do now.

My insurance sucks, so I can't get a referal to a nutritionist so I am doing all of this on my own. In doing research, I am finding ALOT of cook books and recipes for sit down meals, but these are of little help to me right now. I need to find out how to eat during the week when I work and I am getting no help on what to eat for breakfast and lunch. I can deal with changing my diet, but having to wake up an hour early so I can make a sit down breakfast is going to be a major hassle for me.

As of right now, breakfast is a whole weat bagel with about an ounce of low fat cream cheese and couple of slices of smoked turkey. Lunch will be primarily Healthy Choice frozen meals until I can figure out what else to do. They look like they fall in all of the parameters for what I need to eat, but unless I can find them on sale, they can be expensive for someone that is used to packing a lunch.

Dinners will be a salad with low fat dressing that I am stretching with tofu, a small peice of grilled chicken or fish and ALOT of vegetables. I am going to try to keep carbs down.

I know other people are living with diabetes, so it can be done. I just don't know what to eat right now. What does a diabetic eat for breakfast and lunch? What kinds of snacks are apropriate for me? Can anybody help me with this?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Banned User

Re: Living with Diabetes

I know what struggles are facing you, I was diagnosed several years ago. just remember to take your meds, ( are you on pills or shots) and monitor your blood sugars if you need to talk let me know. there are many diebetics here, that all have aswome advice for you

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Im not diabetic, nor do I know anyone who is (at least not that I know of), but Im sure you can go to your local bookstore and find some books that have foods you can have and some really good recipes!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Maybe we should make a MC Diabedics club so we can share recipies, stories, etc.

Btw.. John, to answer your question... For breakfast today I'm having turkey sausage with scrambled eggs (with diced onions, taco meat, and salsa added), For lunch I'm having some turkey meat in a light brown sauce along with some broccoli and salad. For dinner I'm having pork chops in a sugar free apple glaze that's really yummy.

Don't get discouraged. There is good food out there which is totally safe for you to eat. You just have to modify it exisiting recipies and be prepared to spend some time over the stove to get it.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

One of the breakfasts my mom makes is easy.

Mom McMuffins

Orowheat Healthnut English Muffins
    Egg Beaters
    Cheese of your choice
    Pam

Toast the english muffin. Spray small bowl (straight sides best) w/Pam. Mix 1/8 cup Southwest Egg Beaters with 1/8 cup regular Egg Beaters, salt pepper to taste. Add 3 teaspoons of whipped cream cheese and moooosh together. Nuke in the microwave for 2 and half minutes. Butter the muffin, put the egg in the middle, sprinkle shredded 4-cheese mix on top and wrap in foil.

I think it takes her under 5 minutes to make this.

For lunches, she mostly eats chicken and salad. I think Caesar dressing doesn't have too much sugar in it.

Know that we are all here for you John.
    Last edited by mamabot; 10-26-2006 at 09:39 AM. Reason: got the real recipe
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

John, here is an article about eating out that also has fast food tips. Might be some good on the go type ideas.
    http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...ngoutguide.jsp

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

^^Actually, there are many more food articles on that site including exchange lists and so forth that will help point out foods to buy for easy breakfast and lunches.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Hey John! I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't have diabetes, but yesterday I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance Syndrome. According to my doctor I need to follow a glycemic index type diet, and I'm still trying to figure out what in the world that is!!!

First, thank goodness you were diagnosed and that it's type 2. There is sooooo much you can do to keep yourself healthy with type 2 diabetes! It's also great that you have Bree and your friends for support.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume you've been to the standard websites like http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp, the NIH and MedLine to do some research right? If not, go read! There's bound to be some good resources for you.

Eating out is always a challenge in any diet, but luckily, eating healthy is in vogue right now, so there are usually lots of choices. In fact, here's a whole page on dining out with diabetes! http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...ngoutguide.jsp

Oogie, I like the diabetes club idea, I wonder if there are 25 of us with diabetes/insulin issues to make the club work.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station

Having a strong diabetic history in my family, and being diagnosed with it for the last 6 years or so...my best advice is...
    Don't freak out. This does not change you. You may become more concious of what you are eating, thats good, watch your sugar, take your meds and get some excercise. Alot of times type 2 diabetes can be stopped in its track and reversed (i have done it twice) if you listen to your doctor.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Oogie, I like the diabetes club idea, I wonder if there are 25 of us with diabetes/insulin issues to make the club work.
    Not sure about that, but I know that there are people who would help you guys get the club off the ground.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Btw.. John... There is one thing that I'm sure you have been told but it bears repeating. No more beer/ alcohol.. or at least until you have the diabetes under control.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Btw.. John... There is one thing that I'm sure you have been told but it bears repeating. No more beer/ alcohol.. or at least until you have the diabetes under control.
    I think the DMCA just fell off their collective bar stools.

This is great advice Oogie.

NO GOATS!

• Oddball

Hey John! I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't have diabetes, but yesterday I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance Syndrome. According to my doctor I need to follow a glycemic index type diet, and I'm still trying to figure out what in the world that is!!!
    We did find some books on the glycemic diet at Borders, might be worth a look.

That shouldn't be too hard for him, he's not much of a drinker.
    He has to be sober to keep an eye on me!
    Urge to groove building. Must... snap.... fingers....

• I'm your huckleberry.

I just found that out when reading the information on the Glucophage the doctor prescribed to me. I cried a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

I just found that out when reading the information on the Glucophage the doctor prescribed to me. I cried a little.
    Unfortunatly the body breaks it all down into sugars and then it destroys your organs. That's why I usually have a drink about once every 2-3 weeks.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast