•   
    • Senior Minion

Question Anybody With A Broken Leg?

I am part of a forum for folks with broken legs, but it seems that those that get better don't come back, though I can't blame them.

Anyways I'm taking a wild stab here on MC to see if anybody (you or someone close to you) has had surgery for their broken leg. I have an IM rod and 6 screws in my left leg (tib/fib fracture), and presently I'm walking with a bit of a limp - plus the unfortunate effect of my knee giving out at inoportune times (like when I'm walking) and almost falling on my butt. Then there is the pressure in my knee - MAN!

I am mostly interested in knowing how long it has taken any of you to recover. How long did you keep your hardware? What was the difference between having the hardware and getting it removed? And any other tid bits you are willing to share.

As it is with me the screws below my knee stick out a bit, enough that I can feel them through my jeans! So, they do bother me and hopefully I'll be getting them out sometime soon.

Oh, and if you see a woman with a squirrel cane at Disneyland that would be me (sometimes I'm on the scooters too).

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: Anybody With A Broken Leg?

Are you going to any rehab for this? Are you continuing to do your exercises while at home?

How long has it been since you've had this surgery?

•   
    • Senior Minion

So far my OS hasn't sent me to rehab at all nor given me any exercises to perform. He pretty much just told me to start walking and I did. I had the surgery March 8, 2006 and just started walking in July on my own.

• Mexihick, y'all

Damn, you need to get into some sort of therapy for that, that's a huge part of your pain.

• Minion

My daughter has two broken legs. Actually, the doctor sawed them, then turned her feet out 30, then put pins trough them and casted them. She gets her 1st casts off next Wednesday. They are going to remove the pins, then recast her legs in walking casts below the knee. Her screws are on the outside of her skin so they can remove them at the Drs'. office. Needless to say..the last few weeks have not been a whole lot of fun for her (or us). Her she is with her casts:
    http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/b2OmG...ohoQFBFqUJcTMK

They also legthened the muscles in her inner thighs, that's why she has the bar.

If you look at her feet in this picture, you can see why they turned them:
    http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/b2OmG...aveas=dl06_050

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL View Post
    My daughter has two broken legs. Actually, the doctor sawed them, then turned her feet out 30, then put pins trough them and casted them. She gets her 1st casts off next Wednesday. They are going to remove the pins, then recast her legs in walking casts below the knee. Her screws are on the outside of her skin so they can remove them at the Drs'. office. Needless to say..the last few weeks have not been a whole lot of fun for her (or us). Her she is with her casts:
    http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/b2OmG...ohoQFBFqUJcTMK

They also legthened the muscles in her inner thighs, that's why she has the bar.

If you look at her feet in this picture, you can see why they turned them:
    http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/b2OmG...aveas=dl06_050
    You and your daughter are strong people to go through that type of surgery. I can't imagine how a surgery like that feels since a broken leg is only half the battle with what your daughter went through. But, I thank you for sharing and glad to see your daughter is doing well and going to get the casts off - I love the bright pink color I must say! And feel free to let me know how she does.

As for therapy, I see my OS on Monday so I have a few questions/demands for him when I go for my appointment.

• Minion

Thanks for your kind words. She is doing very well considering. She is more bored and restless then anything. I will keep you posted.

Good luck with everything.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I don't have a broken leg but there's a few people whose legs I'd like to break.