Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So When Did Halloween Become So Popular?

So when did Halloween become such a popular holiday. I remember when I was growing up, we dressed up in once-piece Halloween costumes that were pretty uncomfortable, and trick or treated with brown paper sacks, until very late at night. There wasn't all the decorations, or the preparations that go on today.

Nowadays, Halloween stuff starts appearing about the time the kids return to school.

Could it have something to do with the money that can be made by selling Halloween merchandise. You got the cute, pumpkins, witches, skeletons, black cats, etc, etc,

Then of course, it could be that Halloween has become a family thing. Families have parties. Families Trick or Treat together. Families really decorate up their homes, both inside, and out.

When Halloween is over, then they do it all over again for Christmas. By the time January rolls around, our homes actually look so bare without any decorations.

Halloween is fun. I had fun with my kids. It just seems that somewhere in the last 10 years Halloween has become a really big deal.

• most magical vaca ever

Re: So When Did Halloween Become So Popular?

I think people have become more into Halloween since its just FUN...

It's fun for those like me who enjoy the cuteness of Halloween and its fun for those that love the spookiness and horror of it.

It's a holiday where you can relax- no pressure on buying gifts or cooking for tons of people.

Around here I see more decorations at Halloween time than at Xmas time.
    ~~~~~~

• is on the rocks

I think it's a combination of the two. Yes, there is money to be made with Halloween-themed merchandise and decorations. I'll admit to taking part in that aspect. But too, there is so much you can do with Halloween. As DMof2 said, you can make it cute, or scary.
    She did it!

• no flash photography...

if they but it they will overstock it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm starting to think Halloween makes more money than Christmas does.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I think it is about the allmighty dollar along with other things. There's lots of money to be had in Halloween. It is one of the most politically correct holidays around. You can celebrate the holiday without offending most anyone. Although there are slight Christian influences they have been lost in the translation for generations.

And yes notice that decorations are really sold a lot now. Retailers realize they can disguise some items that most likely can be used for both Halloween and the Winter Holidays (lights, cords, etc) Why just sell the Orange, Green, and purple lights when you can sell the white and multicolored sets right beside them?

And never underestimate the power of chocolate candy bars and their selling power at any time of they year. Why buy them just for the little ghosts and goblins when you can buy some for yourself as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Wasn't Me!

Marketing! It's all in the marketing!!

• For You!

We always did fun Halloween stuff growing up - I do concede that there are a lot more decorations and fun stuff to buy - but I think that goes for all holidays. (#1 noticeable - giant inflatable items).

Back when it was safe, we always had trick-or-treaters come in for donuts and smoking apple cider. We dressed up really nicely - my mom used to make a lot of costumes!

My favorite memory was just going from house to house for hours and then coming home and dividing my candy into groups - suckers, gum, candy bars, hard candies, etc.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I remember the "good old days" (which were not long ago) where my brothers and I would come home with our haul and sit on the floor to dump out all of our candy so my parents could go through it to make sure it was all safe. This was even more fun than going door to door. It was Trading time! I'd go through my candy and sort out everything I didn't want and put it in a pile for my brothers who would trade me what I liked from theirs.

I just had a thought though. I was growing up just at the time kids were being warned about treats that were not wrapped and such. I know there were some really bad eggs out there but was that really the reason? You can surely sell more candy if kids can't take unwrapped goodies that people can make at home. I think Halloween is a bit too structured. If things were so bad how did my parents and their generation ever survive being given carmel apples, cookies, popcorn balls, etc that are big no no's today?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• For You!

It's amazing that any of us are alive according to today's standards.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think it became really big, once adults realized that it was a holiday for them as well as for the kids. That has a lot to do with marketing. I remember growing up, there wasn't all the adult costumes that there are now and women didn't dress up as sexy ____s fill the blank with whatever, cats, school girls, etc. Once it became just as much an adult holiday as a kids holiday is when it took off.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Infinitized!

Another holiday that's gaining in popularity is Valentine's day. It seems that it has become more commercialized during the past few years.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Where I live now, it's a lot less of a big deal than it was when I was growing up. The costumes are better though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    I remember the "good old days" (which were not long ago) where my brothers and I would come home with our haul and sit on the floor to dump out all of our candy so my parents could go through it to make sure it was all safe. This was even more fun than going door to door. It was Trading time! I'd go through my candy and sort out everything I didn't want and put it in a pile for my brothers who would trade me what I liked from theirs.

I just had a thought though. I was growing up just at the time kids were being warned about treats that were not wrapped and such. I know there were some really bad eggs out there but was that really the reason? You can surely sell more candy if kids can't take unwrapped goodies that people can make at home. I think Halloween is a bit too structured. If things were so bad how did my parents and their generation ever survive being given carmel apples, cookies, popcorn balls, etc that are big no no's today?
    When I grew out of Trick-or-treating in Cali, I just went over to my friends house and ate his sisters candy .

It used to be huge where I grew up. Decorations up all month, homemade Haunted Houses, and trick or treating till 9 pm. Here, in my little tract home white bread Bible Belt town...The kids are inside by 7. 7??? And decorations are a pumpkin or two.

I myself had a haunted walk themed to Indiana Jones. You walk through an overgrown jungle (many ferns and such from local florists, tree-trimmings from last month, etc). Soon you see some warnings from the natives in the forms of tribal masks and statues. You round the corner and see skinned heads on sticks. On your left is a map from IJA and an empty leather jacket and fedorah. Guests then pass through the shrouded curtain where the entire room is covered with spider webs and illuminated with blacklights. A sarcoughgas stands up in the corner, covered with dirt and vines. Around it are various items of sacrafice (Skulls, bowls of various "parts", tribal masks). Inside the sarcoughgas is my cell phone on vibrate. As guests approach my door, I call my cell. Many guests jump to the left where I happen to be hidding in the cobwebs. Much fun.
    Last edited by Professortango; 11-01-2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast