• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

A Trick or Treat conspiracy?

I wanted to know if you think this makes sense.

I was watching the History of Halloween on the History Channel the other night and they discussed what used to be a big story in the media around this time of year while I was growing up, the threat of razor blades and poison in Treats. The documentary went on to note that these stories were greatly exxagerated and were very rare cases.

Ever since you almost never see people giving out baked goods or apples anymore on Halloween. Instead there is a lot more packaged candy. Do you think the Candy companies have something to do with this? Something seems a little fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Re: A Trick or Treat conspiracy?

You know I never really thought of it that way. But, maybe you have something there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think it actually happened, and the public reacted accordingly. I don't think there were thousands of incidents, but maybe one or two. And that's all that was needed. Fruit and baked goods disappeared not because Hershey's wanted to boost their sales, but because the public reacted accordingly.

The same thing happened to Tylenol. Someone taints one bottle and BOOM! Sealed packages forever more.

I got ONE apple as a kid, and I lived in the sticks.

My kids have NEVER received any fruit, but any candy packages that look dubious go right in the trash.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Theres a house on our street that gives apples and pennies. I also remember my parents being seriously paranoid about checking my candy when I got home too.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Huh?

I've only received an apple once in my entire Trick or Treating career. It was from an old lady that apparently didn't realize that most of them would be thrown away by paranoid mothers.

As far as I know, there has never been any cases of poison or razor blades. But, many hospitals offer free x-rays of halloween candy for the overly paranoid.

I don't think it's a conspiracy by the candy companies. The tales were always about candy, not baked goods. The candy companies did start the tales about files in cakes in order to distract from the huge bags of candies going into the jails.
    -Tim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    Theres a house on our street that gives apples and pennies. I also remember my parents being seriously paranoid about checking my candy when I got home too.
    Pennies... sounds like my granma. She'd get 2 rolls of pennies and each kid got 1 penny (because she's get close to 100 kids in hier neighborhood). Even my mom called her cheap!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I honestly think what they said on the show is true. It is incredibly rare to receive things while trick-or-treating that are harmful. But like usual, it is still a good thing to have them checked and X-Rayed.

• Hooterville, USA

Popcorn balls were a big thing until the news of razor blades and such.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

mmmmmm popcorn balls! me want one now!!
    when i was a kid there was bad things in the candy, my mom checked ours out very well.

• I'm your huckleberry.

According to Snopes, there have been 80 documented cases of pins or razors in candy since 1959: http://snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

That's so rare, I'm relatively unconcerned. Yes, I check my daughter's candy, but mainly to throw out any open packages for sanitary reasons. I've never brothered to get her candy x-rayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

Actually according to a Michael Moore documentary only 2 kids have ever been killed on Halloween and that was by their own family members. Razor blades like never happened!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Actually according to a Michael Moore documentary only 2 kids have ever been killed on Halloween and that was by their own family members. Razor blades like never happened!
    Did you read the post above yours?
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx