Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

HELP!..Is this even LEGAL?

We have tix for the Rolling Stones show this weekend. I have seen the Band 33 times my Wife has never seen them! All was fine with sunday. BUT Now due to Mick Jagger falling ill the show has been moved to monday.

However on monday my wife has an after work "Staff meeting" In the past other people have been allowed to miss the meetings for various reasons from meaningless to serious. My Wifes Boss, a TOTAL BITCH tells her "Oh no way I am letting you off for the Rolling Stones, THEY SUCK, if it was an awesome band like Coldplay or someone cool, it would be another story, but the Rolling Stones? Those old nasty men? No Way." She HAS to go to the meeting or lose her job.

It would have been fine if my Wifes Boss Approved of the Band?!?!?!?

According to my wife nothing ever gets done at these meetings anyway, it is just a way for her Boss to feel big.

I spent $100+ per ticket!

Is that even LEGAL to threaten her job over this?
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Shablagoo!

Re: HELP!..Is this even LEGAL?

I imagine it is probably legal. However, I would just have her call in sick for the whole day. That boss does suck.

• Banned User

Shes the boss, yeah she can say yay or nay.. its a staff meeting....if she was a cool boss she might say take the time off, but she isn't so she has the right to refuse the time off.

• /sigh

Yes, she can refuse the time off....no, she shouldn't have given that reason as to why not. She should contact ER to make sure.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Mexihick, y'all

If your wife has PTO time accrued, then her boss can not tell her how she can and can not spend her hours. She needs to contact HR immediately and tell her the double standard that is being put forth.

• Man O Lantern

Your wife should take the night off, threat or no. That was NOT okay for her boss to say that (Coldplay? Come on, I love Coldplay, but really!).

I hope she takes it off. Put in the paperwork, do whatever you have to to do, but she needs that night off!!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Yes, it is legal, unless it is a pretext for some bogus reason, such as if your wife is a race, religion, etc., that the boss doesn't like and this is just a cover for wanting to get rid of her for an illegal reason. Depending upon her age, it could actually be an example of age discrimination. If you wife is, say, 50, and the manager is, say 30, and she is saying that going to a young cool band is ok, but an old person going to an old band's concert is no good, maybe there is something to it.

Plus...if it is a big company, and there is an HR department, she might want to complain internally that this is an unfair example of favoritism.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Oh....if I had been there I woud have totally shot back with a 40 Year Old Virgin quote.

"Know how I know you're gay? You listen to Coldplay."

Ugh that pisses me off though.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Circle of Ancients

Legal? Probably.

Fair or nice? No.

I don't think your wife should call in sick now though because she's already told the boss that she has concert tickets so she might get in trouble.

Has your wife tried having a conversation with her boss to let her know how the remark about it not being okay for her to go since it's a crummy band came across to her. If her boss won't listen , is there someone else who can mediate the conversation for her?

Hope it all works out!

• up to no good

Wow she has a real nasty boss. And her bosses excuse for your wife not being able to go is stupid as well. She cannot make it her personal agenda
    or personal opinion for your wife not to take off.

But she should speak to an HR rep about that. Her boss was rude and unprofessional.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Thats pretty crappy. Not sure if its legal or not, but this is why I dont talk about personal things at work. If I need to take a day off cause Im going on vacation, I say its personal or family. No need to get into why.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post

Is that even LEGAL to threaten her job over this?
    California is an "at will" employment state... meaning, yup, it's legal.

What I would do if I were your wife, is call in sick. Then speak with her regular doctor, explain the situation and see if the doctor will write her an off-work note. Likely they will. Then she can't be fired for calling in sick, since she has a doctors note.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• I'm your huckleberry.

P.S. I'd also start looking at Monster.com. No way in hell I would want to continue working for a company with such crappy employee relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• love my friends

Get her to talk to HR.. that isnt right

Friends for life

• Banned User

Well...what exactly does you wife work for? If its a sucky job, she could prossibly get a new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast