Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Target saying okay to "Merry Christmas"?

I noticed today, for the first time this season, a holiday commerical for Target stores. At the end of the commerical, the words "Merry Christmas" came onto the screen.

I was surprised. I thought that "Merry Christmas" was out and "Happy Holidays", or something, was in. And I thought that was especially true at Target. What's changed?

Any thoughts?

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Re: Target saying okay to "Merry Christmas"?

there has been a lot of backlash lately about not saying Christmas. And some of it has been from non christians offended for their Chritsian friends.

That's very nice but I won't step foot in a Target until they allow the Salvation Army outside their stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Man O Lantern

No offense to the Salvation Army, or their awesome work, but I appreciate being able to walk in a store and not hear the bell ringing and feel massively guilty for not having some money on me. I always feel the need to say I have no cash (which is true, I never do)....but as often as I go shopping during the holidays, I hate that guilt trip.

I'm glad Merry Christmas is back!

What I didn't like was all the Home Depot Christmas ads before Halloween.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    That's very nice but I won't step foot in a Target until they allow the Salvation Army outside their stores.
    They still give a lot of money to the salvation army as a corporation. However, they adopted a policy where they allow no soliciting in front of their stores. If they allow the Salvation Army, then they feel they have to allow other groups that they do not agree with.

Last year Target had a special website in conjunction with the salvation army for the holidays that allowed people to purchase goods and clothing for the needy. For one, I am thankful they have a zero tolerance no-solicitation policy.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    there has been a lot of backlash lately about not saying Christmas. And some of it has been from non christians offended for their Chritsian friends.

I don't want to derail this thread, but can you tell me more about the Salvation Army stuff you are talking about?

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread, but can you tell me more about the Salvation Army stuff you are talking about?
    Basically, Target allows no solicitors, but they previously made exemptions for the salvation army through 2004. After 2004, they stopped allowing the bell ringers.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation
    Target has a standard no-solicitation rule at its properties, as it seeks to provide a "distraction-free shopping experience for its guests." Exemptions to this policy were previously made for the Salvation Army red kettles and bell-ringers outside Target stores during the holidays through Christmas. Though, in 2004 Target asked the organization to explore alternate methods to partner with Target.
    In addition to donating to local Salvation Army chapters through it's grant program and annually to the United Way (the Salvation Army is a member of the United Way coalition). Target Corporation and the Salvation Army [36] created a joint effort in 2005 called "The Target/Salvation Army Wish List," where online shoppers could donate goods to the organization for Hurricane victims by buying them directly from Target.com[37] between November 25, 2005 and January 25, 2006.
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

I hope it becomes okay to say it again. That way I won't feel like slapping myself in the forehead if I accidentally let fly with a "Merry Christmas" in public. I will probably still try to stick with "Happy holidays" just in case because I don't want to offend anyone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I just have to say that we have the right to express our opinion. Saying Merry Christmas does not infring on anyone elses rights, but it infringes on mine, when society tries to prevent me from saying it. If someone said Happy Hanukkah to me, I would not be offended one bit. I would embrace the cultural diversity we have in America .

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I just have to say that we have the right to express our opinion. Saying Merry Christmas does not infring on anyone elses rights, but it infringes on mine, when society tries to prevent me from saying it. If someone said Happy Hanukkah to me, I would not be offended one bit. I would embrace the cultural diversity we have in America .
    Absolutely! People have been saying "Merry Christmas" here for many many years. Only very recently did it somehow become wrong to say Merry Christmas. Besides, Christmas is a nationally recognized holiday. So, in fact, saying Merry Christmas, for many, implies no religious belief whatsoever.
    -Osky

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    I hope it becomes okay to say it again. That way I won't feel like slapping myself in the forehead if I accidentally let fly with a "Merry Christmas" in public. I will probably still try to stick with "Happy holidays" just in case because I don't want to offend anyone.
    We have a large Jewish community in my neighborhood, so we do say Happy Holidays a lot around here. But the people we know well who are Jewish really don't care.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I do play fair though. I don't wish people "Happy Holidays" at all. Rather, if I know their religious beliefs, I say "Merry Christmas" to the Christians, "Happy Hanukkah" to the jewish, etc. Other than that, I don't say anything. But I won't say Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 11-06-2006 at 09:22 AM.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post

I will NEVER feel like slapping myself because I wished someone to have a Merry Christmas. It was never "not okay" for me to say it...

I was born and raised saying it and I will continue saying it.

Kudos to Target for having the intestinal fortitude to not worry about "offending" someone.

There are plenty of better (worse) things to worry about...

• Banned User

I miss working at Target, it was so nice there. Kudos to them for saying Merry Christmas because you know what? That's Jesus' birthday and that's the only meaning of the holiday. It's not okay to celebrate it without celebrating that.

And the reason Target doesn't allow Salvation Army or any other charities outside their doors is because soliciting is illegal and it's harassment to customers after a while. They're also massively rude to employees.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    It's not okay to celebrate it without celebrating that.
    No you di'int!!

It's not okay to celebrate Christmas without celebrating Jesus' birthday?

I was misinformed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I miss working at Target, it was so nice there. Kudos to them for saying Merry Christmas because you know what? That's Jesus' birthday and that's the only meaning of the holiday. It's not okay to celebrate it without celebrating that.
    Well that's not really accurate, but I see what your saying...

Sort of.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast