• Shablagoo!

My visit to the EMP's Disney Music Exhibit (and a meet too)

Hi everyone. For those of us who live in Seattle its a rare treat when something Disney related comes our way. At the Experience Music Project at Seattle Center they jsut opened the Music Behind the Magic exhibit. This exhibit is all about Disney Records history and the history of Disney music.

I caught an early ferry from Bremerton to Seattle.

Bremerton

Seattle

I took the bus out to Seattle Center since the Monorails are not running. I had a half hour before meet at 11am, so I decided to take a few pictures.

Here is our Monorails sitting in the station. To quote Stitch, "It may be little and broken, but its still good."

Not only do we have a monorail, but we have other attractions, just like Disneyland! Here are some pictures.

Splash Mountain.

and Space Mountain.

Tokyo Disneyland eat your heart out.

Anyways, here is a picture of the EMP building by Frank Gehry. (well part of it).

And here is a shot of the Space Needle.

And lookie here a banner for the exhibit

I headed inside the EMP to look around. They had a bunch of Disney cds and DVDS, but they also had several exclusive shirts and an exclusive pin. Here is a pciture of it.

In the Sky Church they had some cool projections on the wall of disney scenes, kind of like what they have at the Animation Building in DCA.

Bambi

Beauty and the Beast

So after getting these shots and buying pins it was time for the meet in front of the EMP. So I waited a few minutes and no one showed. I decided to run in and get my ticket, while I waited. I came back and still no one. So I waited a few more minutes until 11:20 and then decided its time to hit the exhibit.

I should point out that photography is not permitted in the exhibit, so I don't have any pictures to show.

The exhibit has several costumes from live action movies, like Bert and Micheal's Jolly Holiday outfits from MAry Poppins, Annette Funicello's red coat from Babes in Toyland, one of Belle's provincial dresses from B&B on Boradway, as well as several Lion King costumes. There were several sketches and storyboards from Pinocchio and Snow White, as well as from the Mickey Mouse cartoon Karnival Kid. There are collectibles and records from nuermous filsm and TV shows like the Mickey MOuse CLub and Davy Crockett. There are also several interactive exhibits. My favorite is the Trivia game where up to 4 people can play a multiple choice trivia game.
    ALso there is a neat display where you can listen to POTC Yo-ho and can isolate individual tracks. I liked the original attraction art they had for POTC, HM, ETR and IASW. I had not seen the pieces for HM, ISAW, and ETR before. There are several screens with short documentaries about different time periods in Disney Music History, like the early movies, the period of Menken and Ashman, as well as one just on MAry Poppins.

I was watching one of these when out of the blue I heard "excuse me, but are you Melonballer?" Sure enough, A fellow micechatter did make it. It was peoplemover1. She had been there for a while and we talked about Disneyland and Micechat while we retoured the exhibit and some of the non-disney exhibits. We played a couple rounds of the Trivia game and my bizarre knowledge of "High School Musical" allowed me to have a come from behind victory. Using her mad skills from the "Master Gracey School of Ninja Secret Photography" she had taken many pictures from the exhibit, which she has promised to post. After another hour or so she had to move on and meet with her friend. While we waited to get my jacket from the coat check I saw my bus take off. Without missing a beat peoplemover1 lived up to her name and offered me a ride to Downtown Seattle. The funny thing is the whole time we referred to each other by our screennames. After I got home this evening I found a PM from her asking for my real name. I had been thinking the same thing right before. Peoplemover1 was great and I am glad I got to spend that time with her. It was a small meet, but I can now say I have met another Micechatter! Hurrah.

Overall the exhibit is pretty neat. It is a bit small, and I would have prefered a little more on the music from the themeparks. However, seeing the original art and costumes is really something. Also if you are a Jimi Hendrix fan the EMP has an excellent Hendrix exhibit.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Re: My visit to the EMP's Disney Music Exhibit (and a meet too)

Sounds like a pretty nice exhibit -- I love interactive things like the trivia stuff so it will be fun to finally get there when I do!

Hey - I'm wondering if this might fit in the "non park offerings" thread more than just in the lounge? Ask a moderator if you think so too!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    Sounds like a pretty nice exhibit -- I love interactive things like the trivia stuff so it will be fun to finally get there when I do!

Hey - I'm wondering if this might fit in the "non park offerings" thread more than just in the lounge? Ask a moderator if you think so too!

Thanks. You are probably right. So if a mod just happens to stop by and wants to move it there, go right ahead. I'd appreciate it.

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Was the exhibit good? I will be there to see it in 2 weeks!

• I Love Disneyland!!

Hey there Melonballer!
    Nice update!! hahaha I'm working on my photos... but here's a little something to tide you over...

Don't be cheatin' !!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• Shablagoo!

Trivia Machine! Woo-hoo!

• I Love Disneyland!!

I have posted my huge photo update in the Disney's non-park offerings forum:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...84#post1085184

ENJOY!!
    Last edited by peoplemover1; 11-06-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• xmanmom

Fun, thanks for the review. I totally want to go to EMP at some point.

• Minion

it looks and sounds awesome!!
    Wish I could have been there

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Melon,

Dude! First off, I am a total fan of Seattle (heard about the groin thing at the game last night, those Oakland kids) and loved the EMP! If I was there, I would have met you. Twice. Probably would have gone on my own as well.

And had coffee. Lotsa coffee.

I didn't know you lived out there.

Thanks for this so much. It's good to know that the magic of Disney, quite literally, could be found anywhere.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend