Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Ed Bradley Passed Away

I always thought of Ed Bradley as the "cool" one on 60 Minutes. It must have been the earring.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    You used to work for 60 Minutes?
    Exactly what I was gonna say.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Senior Minion

I will miss Mr Bradley for the simple reason that he could throw the interview into a curve ball (so to speak) and put a person into a really awkward situation and get the answers. Great man. He will be missed.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Tears, laughs mark service for Bradley

By Paul J. Gough
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 22, 2006

NEW YORK -- With the complicated melodies of the music he loved so much surrounding them, the family and friends of Ed Bradley said goodbye to the "60 Minutes" correspondent with a three-hour service Tuesday filled with life, love and laughs.

Nearly 2,000 people filled the stately Riverside Church on the edge of the Hudson River to pay tribute to Bradley, who died Nov. 9 at age 65. They came from the wide spectrum of Bradley's life: from his youth as a Philadelphia sixth-grade math teacher to his early days at CBS Radio and covering the Vietnam War, to his friends in jazz and other music, and the many people he came in contact with as a globe-trotting correspondent.

"He came on the scene in one of the most exciting times in American history, and he embraced what Oliver Wendell Holmes called 'the action and passion of his times,' " said Charlayne Hunter-Gault, who traveled from her home in Africa to be with Bradley in his final days.

"He was, after all, the jazz master," said former President Bill Clinton, one of the many interview subjects whom Bradley disarmed with his manner. "He always played in the key of reason, and his songs were full of the notes of facts, but he knew to make the most of the music you have to improvise."

Music permeated the service, particularly the jazz Bradley adored and the New Orleans style he had come to love. A brass band rendered a processional dirge to open the service, returning to close it in traditional style with "When The Saints Go Marching In." Lizz Wright performed India.Arie's "Complicated Melody," which was handpicked by Bradley's wife, Patricia Blanchet. Wynton Marsalis performed, as did New Orleans jazz legend Irma Thomas, who sang three songs. Bradley's friend Jimmy Buffett and Allen Toussaint performed "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?" and another Bradley friend, Aaron Neville, sang "Amazing Grace."

Among those attending were Bradley's CBS News colleagues Mike Wallace, Andy Rooney, Lesley Stahl, Steve Kroft and retired anchors Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather; such other network journalists as NBC's Brian Williams, Meredith Vieira and Steve Capus, and ABC's Diane Sawyer; and Bill Cosby, Paul Simon, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Leslie Moonves, Dick Parsons and Howard Stern.

"He never forgot where he came from, and he always gave back generously, with his time, his money and his advice," longtime Philadelphia friend Marie Brown said.

Former CBS head Howard Stringer, who worked with Bradley in the 1960s at WCBS-AM, called him a "pied piper for children ... a man of the people, absolutely."

Kroft remembered that Bradley never was driven by what Kroft called "the '60 Minutes' stopwatch." He said that for a time Bradley was heir apparent to Rather, but he didn't want the anchorship.

"He didn't want to be tethered to a news desk. ... CBS News was his job, not his life," Kroft said.

Bradley, 12 days before he passed, checked himself out of Mount Sinai Hospital to record the narration for what would be his last "60 Minutes" report. He was so weak that his wife had to hold him up.

"I listened to it and heard a man who did his work with passion and courage until the day he died," producer David Gelber said.

"Finding another Ed Bradley is as close to an impossible task as anything in broadcasting," said Don Hewitt, who hired Bradley at "60 Minutes" in the early 1980s.

"If you want to follow in Ed Bradley's footsteps, you can't sit behind a desk looking good," Hunter-Gault said. "You've got to put on your traveling shoes. You've got to walk the walk, not just talk the talk."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...c6328db01c03d4
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

How lucky were the kids who had him for a teacher? That's so cool!
    A signature should go here.

• Man O Lantern

I made my eleven year old watch the Ed Bradley dedicated 60 Minutes last week with me. He was the first reporter that made watching the news interesting to me. Any time he was doing an in-depth piece, I was always sure to tune in. In college, I chose him for my report on an excellent interviewer in a journalism class. Everyone else did Barbara, I chose Ed.

Anyway, I had a hard time with it when he died. My husband was awesome about letting me veg in the evenings and watch all the news shows about him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12