Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Question Help! Thanksgiving Dinner- What To Do?

So, this year things are complicated for Thanksgiving in my family. I am having a baby this week and so we won't be traveling to visit family like we normally do. My mom and her fiance are coming here so it will be me, my husband, my 4 year old, my mom, her fiance and a howevermany day old baby.

I don't know what to do. I might only be back from the hospital for a few days before, so I am not going to be up for cooking a whole meal.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Order in the dinner? Order part of it? Go out somewhere? I like the idea of finding a really special place to go, but I don't even know where to look to find something. Don't some hotels do a big fancy meal? Has anyone had any experience with that?

I just don't know what to do, and obviously time is very short!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Help! Thanksgiving Dinner- What To Do?

I know that Vons/Safeway does Thanksgiving meals that you can buy ready made. Maybe try that?
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Ordering the dinner is definitely an option. I am mostly interested if anyone has gone out for Thanksgiving before. I think it would be nice and probably the only time we'll ever do it since we are always with family. I just have no idea where to go or find out about anyplace. I did a search on the internet, but only came up with generic answers.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• I'm your huckleberry.

Most grocery stores do a pre-made dinner that is really yummy. BUT, you'll still have the work of unpackaging and presenting everything.

Dinner out would be a good idea, if you're comfy taking the new baby with you. Marie Callender's does a GREAT holiday meal, as do many other resturants.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Dinner out would be a good idea, if you're comfy taking the new baby with you. Marie Callender's does a GREAT holiday meal, as do many other resturants.
    Agreed, Ive done this a couple times in the past. Quite yummy.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Order the dinner, my family has done that in the past. With the new baby being so little, I wouldn't want to go out. You have plenty of great options for food where you are, so just order and don't stress about it
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I agree with ordering dinner. You don't know how sore and tired you may or may not be and like DQ said you might not want to take the baby out when it's so little. Order the whole dinner and TELL hubby he is in charge of the unpacking and presentation of the dinner. You had the baby, the turkey's his job

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    TELL hubby he is in charge of the unpacking and presentation of the dinner. You had the baby, the turkey's his job
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I couldn't have said it better than any of the above.
    Order in, that way everyone gets a nice relaxing day all the way around. Heck, you could eat in your pj's if you're so inclined!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    Ordering the dinner is definitely an option. I am mostly interested if anyone has gone out for Thanksgiving before. I think it would be nice and probably the only time we'll ever do it since we are always with family. I just have no idea where to go or find out about anyplace. I did a search on the internet, but only came up with generic answers.
    Hi hon I do know there are many resturants all over town that serve great meals. we even went to a truck stop one year, the whole family and we loved it the food was awsome! and there was so much to take home. I would go out, have a ice meal and not worry about it. if you want left overs later you could do a meal later in the month. this is your time, and with baby coming and all you need to rest and let things go. I would definatly look into your neighborhood resturants. there in the paper all week long advertizing thanksgiving dinners.

• love my friends

first of all congrads on the upcoming baby.. how exciting..

we did order the alberstons meal last year since I was working at DCA< we figured it would be alot easier.. well it was in a way.. but still I had to re heat everything.. including the turkey.. (which took about 2 1/2 hours).. they dont give enough of things, like potatoes, so i had to make more of course.. i really dont think i am going to do this again. It would be ok, if manybe it was just the 4 of us.. (without the step son).. but otherwise no way..if you are having a fair amount of people, it might not be enough (unless they ahve more than what we ordered) there might be different orders you can get.

I would suggest even going out for thanksgiving.. or maybe trying a place like marie callenders, where you can get the food, i ahve heard it is alot better than alberstons

Friends for life

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Ashlyn was born 2 days before Thanksgiving, so I have been there. We came home the afternoon before. However, my MIL and SIL were here and they made dinner for us. I was exhausted, it's sort of a blur. I remember watching football because my team was playing and I remember eating because they turned the table around sideways and I had to nurse her throughout the meal.

Anyway, if making them cook isn't an option, I would go out to eat. That way there also isn't any clean up. You may not want to take a new baby out, I never did worry about that but it's a personal decision, you know? Autumn was 2 days old when she went to her first restaurant. If you know they will do the clean up, I'd say order in for sure and then you can eat in your jammies.

Lots of places do meals to order, although they can get pricey. I know I've seen Albertson's, Kroger's, Boston Market and Razzoo's (probably only have those here, though) with advertisements that didn't look like outrageous prices.

If you have a Luby's there, they are always open for Thanksgiving dinner. I know several other places are around here but I guess you'd have to call around and ask them.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Man O Lantern

I'm not sure how urban your area is, or what kind of options you have. I can't remember how far from Minneapolis you are. http://twincities.citysearch.com/roundup/38070 There's a list of twin city Thanksgiving dinners.

McCormick and Schmick's has done big Thanksgiving meals that are delish. We've gone to their brother restaurant (Jake's) for Easter and Mother's Day for several years now. They're advertising their Thanksgiving buffet in one M&S here and in another, they're doing a plated Thanksgiving dinner.

And I'm not just saying that because Doug Schmick lives near me, I promise.

We did a Mother's Day brunch when Cassidy was 2 weeks old and it was great--she slept through the whole thing. Your baby may be young enough to sleep right through everything!

• Island Paradise

Rest up and order a dinner to be served at home. There are sooooo many places that do this...You and baby can stay comfy-cozy at home.

Congrats and hugs on the new arrival!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    l.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Order in the dinner? Order part of it? Go out somewhere? I like the idea of finding a really special place to go, but I don't even know where to look to find something. Don't some hotels do a big fancy meal? Has anyone had any experience with that?

I just don't know what to do, and obviously time is very short!

I'd say go out to dinner except you have a new baby. Maybe you should order dinner from a good place and have your hubby pick it up! And let everyone else set the table and do the dishes after the meal! You deserve a break after giving birth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast