Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Angry Problems with Amazon dot com

Well, I have made a lot of purchases from Amazon.com regarding DVD's and Books and never had a problem, but now I have had such a bad experience with them I will never use them again no matter how much money can be saved. It's just not worth the trouble when they make a mistake and refuse to do anything about it.

Sometime back in October I saw that they had the deluxe Superman Movie set that has 14 discs and lists for $99.99 and that it would be shipped on December 2nd. There price was $69.99. This worked out fine for me as my Pension Fund money is deposited on the 1st of every month. Well, while I was at Disneyland on Monday they placed a hold on the $69.99 and never even bothered to tell me. When I got home, my bank account was overdrawn (I use Debit card that is tied to the checking account).

I called the bank and they told me that Amazon had place the hold. I told them I had just cancelled the order (it had not been marked as shipped so I was successful in this cancellation) and they told me to have Amazon send them a fax (they gave me the number) on their letterhead that the order had been cancelled and to remove the hold they placed on the money. Amazon refuses to do this simple thing and now I will be charged overdraft fees and there is nothing I can do about it.

I have sent them three responses now to their stupid emails making the request and giving them the number and they keep sending back form emails asking for the bank name (which I have also given them three times) and the phone number (Three times again) and then state that there policy is blah blah. They said the item would be shipped on December 2nd and then placed a hold on the C/C five days before this date. Why? I don't know, this has never happened before. They are quick to take my money, but refuse a simple request to release the money they put on hold. Needless to say I am not using them and just let you all know, think twice before using Amazon dot com. They don't play fair.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Shablagoo!

Re: Problems with Amazon dot com

That sucks Lost Boy. I have not done a lot of business with them, but the few times have been good. Hopefull this will still work out for you, but they are in the wrong in my opinion.

• no flash photography...

I have always been happy with them, but I don't use my checking account to pay for items. The policy to place the hold should be on their website and it actually makes sense to me. Has the hold on the funds been released yet?

• Infinitized!

I was thinking about getting the Superman ultimate collector's edition set, however, reading some user reviews on Amazon, it seems that there are problems with the set. Bonus features missing on disks 1 and 8 as well as disk 2 of Superman Returns, and scratched disks.

Have you been communicating with Amazon via email? That is a nightmare. Try their customer service phone number --1-800-201-7575. I always get positive results when I speak to someone at this number. Good luck.

I looked all over that site for a phone number and couldn't find anything except to leave them a message to call me, and who knows when they would do that.
    I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I still have to check the bank balance to see if anything shows there.
    I also read a review of the Donner Cut of Superman II and it basically was that it's no big deal. So in the long run I think I will just go to Best Buy and get Superman Returns and the 3 disc Elvis Presley on the Ed Sullivan Show. I understand that the three or four shows are complete with commercials from the 50's and that sounds like fun. Plus home movies and other rarities from early Elvis, and that is always good stuff.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Did you try the phone number I included in my post above? It has always been the magic number for any Amazon problem I have had.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Here's their phone number if you need it:
    Amazon US Customer Service
    1.800.201.7575 (Toll free, US and Canada)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    Have you been communicating with Amazon via email? That is a nightmare. Try their customer service phone number --1-800-201-7575. I always get positive results when I speak to someone at this number. Good luck.
    I have too.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have used Amazon many times over the last few years and only had one very bad experience. After it happened I did not want to use them ever again, but there have been some movies, dance DVDs, and books that I have only been able to find available through Amazon. But arrrgg, it made me mad to have to give them any more of my business.

My bad incident was like yours only as far as the back-and-forth-and-getting-nowhere. I was sent the wrong DVD. It was a collection of movies on a 2 disc set and it was extremely inexpensive, I mean ridiculously cheap. I only bought it because there was 1 movie in the whole bunch that I wanted, which wasn't on the set they sent me. When I called to tell them I had received the wrong DVD they said they didn't have the correct collection and had sent me that substitution without advising me of the change. Well, I didn't want it. But they wanted me to pay to send back their error, which was more than the dumb thing cost in the beginning! So yes, Amazon really sucks sometimes. But they have stocked some things that I couldn't find elsewhere. I guess that's how they get away with poor customer service sometimes.

And just because I can't stop thinking and talking about him, my dad loved Amazon and always had good luck with them. He bought stock too. I miss him. Could you tell?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've used Amazon a few times and luckily have had good experiences. That sucks about what happened to you though. I've used my debit card like a credit card on their site and they never "charge" it until they ship my items.

But I feel your pain. I've been waiting a week now for the Star Wars DVDs I ordered from Deepdiscountdvd.com. Found out they sent them media mail so it's taking longer (but that's what I get for choosing the free shipping option).

I have had no luck with either the emails or phone calls. They are so stupid they could not even find a record of the order by using the order number, my name or address but it popped up with my phone number. They assured me at that point the hold has been removed. It has not and I now have incurred a $30 overdraft fee. They tell me now the only way to solve this and get the money off hold (For a cancelled item????) is to fax them the information with a copy of my bank statement (Not due for another month) showing the overdraft fee. As far as I am concerned now they are illegally holding my money hostage and I will be talking to a lawyer at Life Alert tomorrow. They are idiots and thank you for the phone number but after dealing with a customer service person and then her supervisor, I got nowhere. Never again. If you use Amazon to purchase anything, keep copies of all e-mails and beware of them on shipping dates and just when they will put a hold on your money. They lie like pigs.

Thank You Poisonedapples

The putting money on hold is a very common practice. Amazon is not unique in this. Try renting a hotel room where the put $400 on hold. It's to make sure that your good for the money. Amazon or any other retailer will do very little about this as the hold automaticly drops off in about 3 to 15 days.

I'm sorry you had this bad experiance.

I have an issue with Amazon raising all it's pricing by $5 after thanksgiving.

I understand this but doing it a full week before the item is not common at all, and not taking the hold off as requested for a cancelled item is certainly not common practice. I checked with the bank to make sure, and they said that it still was showing as on hold after four days of requesting and now there is that additional charge over being overdrawn. If they had kept to there original promise, this would not all be happening. And I noticed as well that the original price of $64.95 had suddleny jumped to $69.95 with no reason given. There whole attitude through this whole mess has been totally un-professional. And I have not even begun to yell at them yet. I have been very cordial and polite at all times, so far. Tomorrow I send them a fax as requested and if nothing happens after that, I have a lawyer I can talk to.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I have had no luck with either the emails or phone calls. They are so stupid they could not even find a record of the order by using the order number, my name or address but it popped up with my phone number. They assured me at that point the hold has been removed. It has not and I now have incurred a $30 overdraft fee. They tell me now the only way to solve this and get the money off hold (For a cancelled item????) is to fax them the information with a copy of my bank statement (Not due for another month) showing the overdraft fee. As far as I am concerned now they are illegally holding my money hostage and I will be talking to a lawyer at Life Alert tomorrow. They are idiots and thank you for the phone number but after dealing with a customer service person and then her supervisor, I got nowhere. Never again. If you use Amazon to purchase anything, keep copies of all e-mails and beware of them on shipping dates and just when they will put a hold on your money. They lie like pigs.
    If they are considering doing any refunds they would definatly need a bank statement showing the fees. Yhey will not take you at your word and it is up to you to provide the proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast