Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Tracking your kid's car

So, on my local news, they just had a story about a company selling a product based on lo-jack type technology. You bolt it to your kid's car with special bolts that can't be removed.

Then, it will tell you where they are (there car is) anytime you want to hop on the web site. More intrusive, you can set a max speed, and it will email and/or page you when the car's speed exceeds that speed limit.

And, you can set geographic limits, and it will notify you if they leave the area.

And you can set times of day they are allowd to drive...

And you can set geographic area, by time of day, by allowed speed limit, by....

Wow.

Part of me loves this. I'd have gotten in less trouble as a teen if my dad could have tracked my car.

Then again, it is one heck of a loss of privacy for a teen, something most teens probably don't deserve.

What y'all think?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Awesome. I love it. I wish my parents had this for my brother before it was too late. Now instead of driving his car to places he shouldn't be, he's sleeping in it.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• That's Hawt

I am ninteen and I am personally against it. There are many circumstances that would make me not want this.

The first is that there is a "maximum speed" I find this extremely upsetting because it not only demonstrates that parents feel they can't trust their kids anymore and aditionally, there are emergency situations where you need to accelerate.

The whole "Geographic Limits" is absolutely rediculous. Oh no, a fully licensed teen is going for a joy ride outside of their limits ... so sue me.

The one that I find even more intrusive is the Driving Hours Limitations. I am 19 and sure, I am out of that range, but when I was 16 I was not only working full time but I was also going to school ... Limit That.

Overall, I think this is a complete vote of no confidence in America's teens! Just because teens tend to get into more accidents doesn't meen that a stupid email limiter is going to change anything. Do you know the second fastest growing age of people that get into accidents? Elders! So what's next, a monitor that says when they're going to slow ... when they are weaving around the lanes? I mean come on!

Anybody read 1984???
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Circle of Ancients

^ I don't think it can prevent you from going over a certain speed, just will notify the parents if you go over that speed.

I think it's a great idea. Sure I trust my kids, and I hope when they are that age I will trust them. But, kids will be kids, you need to let them get into a little trouble, just not THAT much trouble.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ I don't think it can prevent you from going over a certain speed, just will notify the parents if you go over that speed.

I think it's a great idea. Sure I trust my kids, and I hope when they are that age I will trust them. But, kids will be kids, you need to let them get into a little trouble, just not THAT much trouble.
    I think you're right ... I misread that ... but I still think that it is completely unfair ... how would you have felt to have a big brother monitor in your car when you were a teen?
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Banned User

this is just complete bull ****! if parent's can't trust their kids, than don't let your kids have a car.

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    I think you're right ... I misread that ... but I still think that it is completely unfair ... how would you have felt to have a big brother monitor in your car when you were a teen?

How? Not happy. Would it have given my parents peace of mind? Probably some, but I always made sure they knew where I was.

Did my parents have a right to track where I drive? Considering they are legally responsible for any and all damage I cause while in that vehicle, heck yes.

Remember, at least in CA, if you are under 18, to get your license revoked all your parents have to do is call the DMV and say to take their names off of your paperwork.

If you do not like having your parents track you, you can always go back to walking.

• That's Hawt

When I was 16 I owned my own car ... paid for my own insurance ... and paid for my registration ... nowhere on my paperwork was my Mother's name.

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    When I was 16 I owned my own car ... paid for my own insurance ... and paid for my registration ... nowhere on my paperwork was my Mother's name.
    Well, if you owned your own car, it wouldn't have made any difference then. A parent can do whatever they want to their own car, especially if their child is going to be driving it - which is what I believe this device is for. If the kid owns the car, however, I would not support this at all.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    So, on my local news, they just had a story about a company selling a product based on lo-jack type technology. You bolt it to your kid's car with special bolts that can't be removed.

Then, it will tell you where they are (there car is) anytime you want to hop on the web site. More intrusive, you can set a max speed, and it will email and/or page you when the car's speed exceeds that speed limit.

And, you can set geographic limits, and it will notify you if they leave the area.

And you can set times of day they are allowd to drive...

And you can set geographic area, by time of day, by allowed speed limit, by....

Wow.

Part of me loves this. I'd have gotten in less trouble as a teen if my dad could have tracked my car.

Then again, it is one heck of a loss of privacy for a teen, something most teens probably don't deserve.

What y'all think?
    While the mother in me thinks this is a great idea, another part of me rebels against this tracking device. It kind of seems like one of those toddler leashes people slap on their kids because they can't really watch them, you know?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    While the mother in me thinks this is a great idea, another part of me rebels against this tracking device. It kind of seems like one of those toddler leashes people slap on their kids because they can't really watch them, you know?
    Toddle leash... Something I never used, and never would have. Be a strong, consistant parent, and you don't need one. Be a wishy-washy, inconsistant parent that the kid can manipulate through fear of a "scene", and even a leash won't be enough to keep them in line.

Like you, I'm torn. When I was a teen I did some parking in our equivilant of "lovers lane".... San Dimas Canyon, way up on the side of the hill... anyway, having this on my car would have made sure we really went for a dinner and a movie instead of movie and some naughty.

My sisters did a lot of ditching of school. Having this on their car would have helped keep them in school instead of taking the afternoon off to go to the beach then forging mom's name to a note.

I see teens drived 65-70 MPH up and down the road I take to/from home where the speed limit is only 45. This could really slow some of them down.

My fear is that there are a lot of controlling spouses (mostly men) that may have this done to their spouse's (wife's) car to keep better control of them (her).

Or someone could slap this on their ex-girlfriends car, and stalking and harassment reaches a whole new level.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Toddle leash... Something I never used, and never would have. Be a strong, consistant parent, and you don't need one. Be a wishy-washy, inconsistant parent that the kid can manipulate through fear of a "scene", and even a leash won't be enough to keep them in line.

Like you, I'm torn. When I was a teen I did some parking in our equivilant of "lovers lane".... San Dimas Canyon, way up on the side of the hill... anyway, having this on my car would have made sure we really went for a dinner and a movie instead of movie and some naughty.

My sisters did a lot of ditching of school. Having this on their car would have helped keep them in school instead of taking the afternoon off to go to the beach then forging mom's name to a note.

I see teens drived 65-70 MPH up and down the road I take to/from home where the speed limit is only 45. This could really slow some of them down.
    When I was a teenager, I was also more than a little irresponsible once I had access to a car. I think it's a period everybody goes through in their lives, and the teens is the right time for it. I think it is one of life's first true "learning from experience" experiences.

For me, it just boils down to trust. At some point, you have to trust in your parenting ability enough to turn your kids loose on an unsuspecting world and hope you did a good job instilling morals and values and teaching right from wrong. And if you can't trust them by that age, don't give them access to a vehicle!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    If you really want to track your kid, get them a GPS phone from Nextel. You can then sign up for their tracking service and find out exactly where they are no matter what they are doing.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

All these people saying that you should be able to trust your kids are living in a totally idealistic world. It's a bunch of crap. Teen agers are NOT to be trusted for the most part. Of course there are a few exceptions, but I knew VERY few who weren't up to no good.

My parents, and everyone else, thought I was the best kid ever. I got good grades, was an honors student, was involved in school and school activities. And I LIED THROUGH MY TEETH everyday. No one had any idea what I was really up to. I am very lucky I never got into serious trouble. I wish the same could be said for my brother.

My brother was a pretty good kid. His demise practically happened over night. he went from a decent kid doing decent in school to being a total druggy, stealing, ditching and who knows what in a matter of 6 months. Had my parents had something like this they would have known much sooner- before it was too late. Now he has been charged with felonies, been kicked out of numerous places and currently is sleeeping in his car.

It doesn't matter how good a parent is- there is no guarantee. ESP when kids get older and other kids have much greater influence than parents!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, for starters, I'm for the kid leashes, but that's an entirely different discussion and I'd rather not derail.

I'm torn on this one. Initially, I like the idea. Actually, for the same reason that I like kid leashes - it's a way to give a child more freedom, but maintaining some measure of control/knowledge. In the case of leashes, you have the choice of making your child hold your hand in crowds, which means they can get no further than about 1 foot from you AND lose the "use" of one hand (being held), or putting a toddler leash on them, giving them 3 feet of freedom and both hands for exploring. In the case of this car thing, the option is a) don't let your kid drive because you won't know what they're up to, or b) let your kid drive, have that freedom to go where they want, but at the same time, they learn that there are no rules until you break them.

On the other hand, as one person pointed out, it can be used by control freaks on their wives = bad.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast