Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Holiday differences, what's different now compared to when you were a kid

What are some of the things you miss about Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years from when you were a kid, that you just can't seem to equate to with being an adult?

The utter fear that Santa was actually watching me 24/7, because I thought, especially in December, that if I f**ked up JUST ONCE, I'd end up with coal in my stocking. Now I know that no matter what I do, there will always be fun things in my stocking

Helping my mom grind walnuts in this avocado green circa 1972 hand cranked grinder thing-a-ma-jig. Nowadays ya just use a food processor.

Seeing Santa, and being deathly afraid you'd forget to mention the one thing you really wanted, and your parents wouldnt let you bring a list

Delighting in putting your nose up to a strand of tinsel on the tree, and having it give you a helluva shock because of the dry Santa Ana winds outside making the humidty only 12% outside. And having fun doing it. Now it'd just look like you were a big goober if you did that as an adult.

Absolutely dreading going to mass on Christmas Eve, because all going to church did was get in the way of Christmas!! Now as an adult, I actually enjoy going to mass on Christmas Eve and taking my mom since it's the childrens mass.

These are just a few of mine. And you???

• Happy Memories

Re: Holiday differences, what's different now compared to when you were a kid

When the family got together and you were still all inocent and excited to play with cousins and stuff. As an adult you have a better understanding of the adult dramas, stresses and tensions in the family.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

This doesn't happen anymore since people in my family now own trucks and SUVs, but my brother, dad and I used to go to the tree lot together. We'd pick out a great big tree and we would have to tie it to the roof of my dad's car to get it home. Half the fun was actually trying to make it home with this giant tree strapped to the car. One time, we tied the twine so tightly, we actually trapped ourselves in the car and had to use keys to saw the twine to escape. Of course, we were laughing so hard it took twice as long to get out.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Man O Lantern

We used to go caroling.

And we played in the snow (in Alaska).

The last day of school, we just watched Disney movies and ate popcorn.

I liked tinsel when I was little. Now I can't stand it!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Putting up a real Christmas Tree. My mom wouldn't let us near it, until she put the lights on. Then we would put on the ornaments, and lots and lots of tinsel. When we were really young, she only let us put on the tinsel, and then when we got earlier, we did ornaments too.

My mom never wrapped presents. The toys just showed up under the tree without paper. When I grew up, I found that wierd. When I was little, I didn't think about the wrapping paper not being there.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

For the most part I don't really decorate. My mom goes nuts on the decorations... there's Christmas stuff in ever room of the house. Me? I haul out my little fiber optic tree, maybe hang lights on the patio, display the cards I get and that's pretty much it.

• For old time sake

Baking sugar cookies

Opening one gift on Christmas Eve

Eating Pilsbury Orange Danishes on Christmas morning

Having to get my dad's coffee ready before he would even sit and letus open gifts. We did it because we thought he took too long to getit ready ad sit down

Going to our family friends for Christmas and eating a HUGE dinner. (and seeing their HOT son)
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For You!

I miss watching my dad leave at 5 a.m. to go cut down christmas trees on horseback (cussing the whole way). Then seeing all my family gather around the trees that were brought back and trying to pick out the best one! One year, I even found a bird's nest in one - it still gets put in my tree every year.

The other thing I miss was the big extended family dinner we used to have.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Huh?

People are much grumpier about the season as you get older...

Christmas gifts are much shorter supply when mom & dad aren't buying them for you to give to everybody else...

There just doesn't seem to be the time to do a lot of things I'd like to do.

I miss having trouble going to sleep because I know that the noise I'm hearing putting out the gifts is Santa. And then the impatience as I wait for him to finish the milk and cookies and for the carrots to be nibbled away. (We always left carrots for the reindeer.)
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Indeed, a live tree.

Just having it be my parents and my brother. We would always have an early Christmas, then go to the grandparents and have it on the real Christmas. Then to the other grandparents to have it closer to New Years.

Christmas on the farm.

Wishing that there weould be snow to have a real white Christmas. Listening to christmas tapes on the big ole stero using my dad huge headphones!

Oh a fireplace with a real fire and stockings to hang on it!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I miss the magic I felt in the air. It always all seemed so real. I'd lay awake all night long, suffering through every single agonizing minute until it was late enough to wake up my brother and send him to go wake up our parents so he'd get in trouble if it was too early.

There is still magic now, it's just different. I still have trouble sleeping and wake up really early and lay there just hoping and hoping the girls will wake us up soon.

I miss sledding in the winter and playing in the snow.

I don't really remember actual traditions. My Mom was very anal about everything and didn't let us help much with decorating or anything. Now, we have traditions that the girls know and look forward to every year.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Senior Minion

There is alot about the season that I miss and that has changed over the years.
    I used to always have trouble sleeping, thinking every noise was Santa. Sometimes, I would peek outside my bedroom door and sneak to the end of my hallway and see if Santa had come yet, but my parents had always put a blanket in the doorway of the living room, just for that reason. Or I'd take a flashlight and look around my room just in case Santa had left me something when I had briefly fallen asleep (which he sometimes did)

When we were little, my brothers and I used to shake our gifts that were under the tree. They would put them in piles by name to see who had the most (always me) and then complain. (that part hasn't changed, and my brothers are 23).
    One year, my mom was mean and put numbers on the presents and she kept a master list of what numbers (random ones) belonged to who. We hated it, plus sometimes she would put a gift card in a pair of socks or a shirt in a pop tart box. Drove us crazy!

We would always go to the Sacramento Zoo and FairyTale town, since they had free admission on Christmas eve and I used to think that was cold weather, that nothing now.

I remember the hot toy was always a Barbie or doll or something like that, and now what kids want is all of these electronic decives that cost 3x's what the toys we wanted were. I remember when the American Girl dolls first came out and I really wanted one. They were $30 and now they are just over $100.

These days, Christmas doesn't feel much like Christmas did when we were younger, and it's sad. Less and less kids are Believing in Santa, there is never a line to see Santa at the mall. I remember when Santa used to come to the Malls the day after Thanksgiving and it was a huge deal, now it's practically right after Halloween!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Shablagoo!

I miss how back in the day you would see a whole bunch of Christmas specials, especially on CBS. They would have that really cool rainbow spinning SPECIAL graphic. Sure you can still see a lot of thos e shows on cable, but its not the same.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I miss how back in the day you would see a whole bunch of Christmas specials, especially on CBS. They would have that really cool rainbow spinning SPECIAL graphic. Sure you can still see a lot of thos e shows on cable, but its not the same.
    YES! I SO miss that CBS SPECIAL logo thing because it usually meant it was the holidays.

I dunno. DVD's and VCR's are great and all, but there's something to be said for when I was a kid and you only got ONE chance a year to watch these specials and you didn't have a choice as to when you got to watch it. If Frosty the Snowman was on at 8pm on a Tuesday, that's when you watched it and if you missed it you had to wait a year.

• Delawarean Girl

Alot of what Melonballer just said. I do miss a bunch of thoses christmas specials on CBS too and also of them showing the Wizard of Oz when it comes to CBS specials that they use to show too.

It seems like when there creator dies; CBS gave them to other networks. It just always seem like that; when I was growing up anyway.

But what is the most funny. I just went back to memory lane when it comes to the "cool rainbow spinning SPECIAL graphic". If you would like to do the same. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W9V9SZPHAY

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Hayley B; 12-09-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast