Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Mass

• insufferable know-it-all

Midnight Mass

Do you go to midnight mass on Christmas?

I don't even go to any particular church, but I love going to midnight mass somewhere on Christmas Eve. A few times it's been a Catholic church, last year I think it was an Episcopalian church, etc. I freaking love midnight mass, there's just something so... Christmassy about it. Very special.

Do you make it a point to go, or is it just too late to be up?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Shablagoo!

Re: Midnight Mass

I used to do midnight mass. These days the midnight mass is at 10pm here. I know, weird. These days my family goes to a mass at 5pm on Christmas Eve.

• For old time sake

The first time I went was 16 years ago. We went with some family friends to, obviously, a Catholic Church. Their church is gorgeous (St. Denis in Diamond Bar CA). They had a string quartet, their chior was fabulous. I remember my dad crying at the end of Mass. It reminded him of going with my grandma when he was a kid. It was the first time I saw my dad cry, and my last Christmas with him. He passed away the following year (15 yrs yesterday)

I did not go to Midnight Mass again until 2004. I just could not bring myself to do it since dad died. When I did I was so happy. Good memories of Dad (I went to the church Derek and I were married in, ironically it's about 5 miles from where I went 13 yrs prior). Of course I cried the minute Mass started and especially when they sang Silent Night (Dad's favorite)

I love Midnigth Mass and am looking forward to taking Derek this year at my new church.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Do you go to midnight mass on Christmas?

I don't even go to any particular church, but I love going to midnight mass somewhere on Christmas Eve. A few times it's been a Catholic church, last year I think it was an Episcopalian church, etc. I freaking love midnight mass, there's just something so... Christmassy about it. Very special.

Do you make it a point to go, or is it just too late to be up?
    I've gone every year since I was born and my parents have gone just about every year since they were married (my mom used to fly) to the Cathedral of St. Paul. Yes, it's late but the music is wonderful. So many people come just for the Christmas carols at the beginning before Mass and then leave. The Arch Bishop is there as well and he always gives a great Homily. I missed that last year since I was in Florida, but we plan to do it again this year of course.

• Huh?

I've never been to a midnight mass...

My roommate keeps speaking of how wonderful the one he goes to every year is, especially when they do Carol of the Bells.
    -Tim

• Banned User

nope. I go in the morning, I am up at midnight putting toys together and such.

• Senior Minion

We did I think once or twice when I was young, but my brothers and I fell asleep during it very fast according to my parents. I still can't stay up that late and be able to function.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• most magical vaca ever

It was an annual event for us growing up... Now our church has mass at 10 pm on Xmas Eve so we go on Xmas morning.

I miss midnight mass
    ~~~~~~

• Senior Minion

I tend to go to Mass Christmas morning at Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral in Downtown Los Angeles.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Growing up, we would just watch the Pope broadcast on TV. However, now, I watch the South Park Christmas marathon instead while I wrap those last minute gifts.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

A lot of the Catholic churches have gone to doing an earlier mass like 10 or 10:30pm rather than a midnight mass, including the parish I attend. So I quit going to night mass, and started going on Christmas morning instead.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I always go to midnight mass. It is wonderful also driving around in the country at that time of night.

Our parish has had an 'early' midnight mass for as long as we have lived here (six years). But we have a new (to us) priest this year so we'll see... But I do like to hit every possible Mass at Christmas time. It isn't Christmas unless my buns have pew fatigue!!

• That Guy

I can't handle any more catholic masses, let alone one at Midnight, eesh!

They should make a fastpass station, where people who go to church more than on Easter and Christmas, get their usual good seats.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    We did I think once or twice when I was young, but my brothers and I fell asleep during it very fast according to my parents. I still can't stay up that late and be able to function.
    Yes, we did as well but usually stayed awake for the first part of it. When I was a toddler I was talking during Mass - but not the 110% annoying kid. I just kept saying things like, "Mommy! Dad! Jesus! Paul!" etc. so my mom went into the back with me. Apparently my Dad and brother could still here me and it was this year that they chose to tape the Mass and broadcast it in Japan?

Overall, we're more night owls so this is nice for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast