Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Earth Intruder

I lost my wallet!!!

Well it had to happen some time in my life I guess - last night somewhere between the sushi restaurant and my apartment my wallet vanished!

Everything was in there -- credit cards, health insurance, drivers license, store credit cards, arclight card, gas cards, gym card, social security card (yes I know, that one was stupid of me), Disneyland AP, cash, Best Buy gift cards from my birthday, everything.

Went to the restaurant this morning, no dice. They even called the night manager to check, no dice. Called my friend whose car I was in, he checked the car, no dice (though for peace of mind I'm insisting that he let me look in his car with my own eyes, since ain't nobody gonna look for that wallet like I would.... especially with a flashlight if it somehow got wedged under the seat or along the sides or whatever). Went over my apartment with a fine tooth comb, all pockets worn (there was only one pair of jeans that I wore last nite to dinner, which is what I am wearing today, and there's no wallet)

In any case, nothing had been used that I know of, but I had to cancel everything -- now I use Wells Fargo for banking, and you'd think for something like a Bank Card they could emergency overnite one to you? Um no. 7 BUSINESS DAYS. With no picture ID, I can't go into a bank and get any money, so I was just gonna write friends checks so they could cash them. What a pain.

The DMV takes your $20, issues a piece of paper license and sends the new license in the mail in 2-4 weeks. They won't give you a copy of the old one or anything so.... no picture ID.

Social Security card replacement -- gotta show picture ID at a social security office (that's what it says on the website anyway). Of course, you only use your Social Security Card when you get hired at a job but -- lo and behold, I'm interviewing for jobs right now. Ha!

Can't go to the gym cuz they need a picture ID, even when you have your gym card, which I don't.

Disneyland charges $20 for a new AP (frickin rip off.... tho I think if I reported it stolen and made a police report and showed the report to DL they'd issue a freebie, but since it wasn't stolen... $20 for a piece of plastic). Oh, but I'd need to show picture ID, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE MY PICTURE ON THE PASS. WTF???

So that's where I really start panicking.

Then like a bolt of lightning it hit me that my parents have a passport for me stashed away in a safe at their house (but when I get there, they weren't home, I don't know the combo and they weren't picking up their cell phones). Lord, what a day.

Eventually I was able to get in through the magic of plastic explosives!

Just kidding, my dad called me back.

Funny enough, I was feeling all upset (over a boy, of course) and was praying this morning that those bad feelings get taken away. God comes in with his mystically f'd up monkey paw sense of humor and goes... "YOU WANT YOUR MIND OFF THE BOY, HERE'S A BIGGER PROBLEM FOR YOU TO DEAL WITH TODAY!" Funny thing is.... it worked. Really, be careful what you ask for!

But yeah so I almost completely freaked out, lost most of the day of work running around to the sushi restaurant, the DMV and then to my parents to get that passport.

So has anyone else had any experiences like this?? Any ways of avoiding all this drama? It really sucks -- it isn't the end of the world, just a major inconvenience, but it really is scary when you don't have any forms of photo ID.

Obviously, I don't plan on it happening again -- I've probably been carrying a wallet since I was 12 and this is the first time (I'm now 29). Nighmare, over some pieces of plastic.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: I lost my wallet!!!

File a police report. If you can't find it, you must assume it's been stolen.

•   
    • Kerplookee

I'm exhausted just reading that. Knock on wood...been lucky enough to never lose my wallet but I know that cold blooded mini panic feeling when it not where you think it is.
    Bummer. I feel for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

scaryyy check your credit records often cause if they have your social that is a BIG DEAL...identity theft nightmare man... good luck sorry to hear!!!
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Banned User

I am so sorry you lots your wallet, that has to be pretty scary!! I hope someone brings it back to you.
    Nope, never lost mine, or my purse. I keep all my important stuff home unless I need it . to scary to loose cards, and extra money etc. I only keep my drivers licence and my bank card in my purse that can be canceled right away.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    File a police report. If you can't find it, you must assume it's been stolen.
    I agree. In the event that someone finds it and attempts to steal your identity (they would have your social, drivers license, and credit cards for goodness sakes), you would be glad that you had already taken this step.

You may also need to have a note placed with the three credit bureaus that states that no one should be able to take out a loan or open a new credit card without calling your first. Make sure that your phone number is on file.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but you need to take this very seriously.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I agree. In the event that someone finds it and attempts to steal your identity (they would have your social, drivers license, and credit cards for goodness sakes), you would be glad that you had already taken this step.

You may also need to have a note placed with the three credit bureaus that states that no one should be able to take out a loan or open a new credit card without calling your first. Make sure that your phone number is on file.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but you need to take this very seriously.
    Coming from a Mortgage Banking background, Dustysage is COMPLETELY CORRECT. Contact all three credit bureaus. I'm going to go see if I can get the numbers for you so you can call immediately.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Coming from a Mortgage Banking background, Dustysage is COMPLETELY CORRECT. Contact all three credit bureaus. I'm going to go see if I can get the numbers for you so you can call immediately.

Ok Chernabog - here's the info you will need:

EQUIFAX 800-685-1111

EXPERIAN 888-397-3742

TRANSUNION/EMPERICA 800-916-8800

You probably have already gotten these numbers, but if I can help, I'd like to.

Hope it goes well.

• Earth Intruder

Awesome, thank you -- I am taking this very seriously, and I am really quite angry at myself. Poop happens though sometimes.

It's probably a good idea to have a note with the credit bureaus to contact me before opening new cards or loans anyway (regardless if someone is using my wallet, or somehow gleaned information off of the web, etc.).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

I am so very sorry! I agree with the others on filing a police report and notifying the credit bureaus.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Awesome, thank you -- I am taking this very seriously, and I am really quite angry at myself. Poop happens though sometimes.

It's probably a good idea to have a note with the credit bureaus to contact me before opening new cards or loans anyway (regardless if someone is using my wallet, or somehow gleaned information off of the web, etc.).
    Take it seriously - YES.
    I had someone steal some checks from my Partners FCU Checking account that I closed in 2003 (still have some savings there) and I was getting bills for checks that were bouncing all over the place. I had to go to the C/U and have them pull info showing my account closure and then I had to fax to the places dunning me money - places I didn't even know existed!

I hope all goes well. Please let me know.

• Original Mice-Chatter

You only need to call one of the agencies- they share info. You can put a free fraud alert on- usually for 90 days.

I also agree on reporting it stolen.

• We're number one!

I can sympathize with your lost wallet situation. It's happened to me also and it sucks. Especially the feeling of losing a part of yourself (as stupid as that sounds, especially since it's a wallet), but I know how that feels. Once you run into something you can't do because of something that was in your wallet your realize how important it is to you.

Good luck finding it!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    You only need to call one of the agencies- they share info. You can put a free fraud alert on- usually for 90 days.

I also agree on reporting it stolen.
    You are correct, I just called Experian and they share the fraud alert with the other companies.

I know it's so "gangbanger" to keep a wallet on a chain but.... really I'm gonna be paranoid for a while now LOL

I am, however, going to make one very last attempt to find it by calling the restaurant (again), making them talk to the valet people (again) this evening -- for all I know, someone found it, then they put it in the wrong place (somewhere I didn't look when we were going thru drawers at the restaurant this morning). And then I am going to look in my friends car with my own eyes instead of relying on him (though he did say he checked in the sides and under the seats) And then I'm calling the police. Gah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast