• Minion

Imogen Heap - Best Concert Ever!!!

WOW! I didn't think anyone could do those things that Imogen Heap did. She laid out the tracks for her songs right in front of us...layer by layer. Then, she played the piano and sang her butt off! I felt a musical euphoria that I've never felt before...and her opening act, Kid Beyond, was simply amazing. He did the same thing with the beats...layer by layer...best human beat box/singer/one man band! WOW! Was it a good night! Just thought I'd let everyone know. If you get a chance to see Kid Beyond or Imogen Heap I HIGHLY recommend it!!! AMAZING TALENT!!!

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Imogen Heap - Best Concert Ever!!!

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm Jealous, Imogen Heap is great! Glad you had a great time.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ummm... who?

• Man O Lantern

Thakns for the tip!

I'm a huge fan of anyone who layers and loops their tracks! The first time I saw anyone do it was about 4 years ago when I saw Howie Day open for The Goo Goo Dolls. I was immediately a huge fan.

Others who are amazing live:

Feist (of Broken Social Scene) www.listentofeist.com She does 2-3 layered songs per show, and she has so much energy. She's incredible.
    Joseph Arthur www.josepharthur.com
    Howie Day www.howieday.com

From Howie's website, regarding his album Live From:
    In stores now, LIVE FROM..., the new concert EP from acclaimed singer-songwriter Howie Day. The seven-song disc was recorded in various parts of the country this past summer, when Day was touring in support of his gold-selling sophomore album STOP ALL THE WORLD NOW.
    The disc captures Day at his best: in a live setting, performing sharp, literate songs wrapped in beautiful melodies and soft textures. Though known for his unique one-man-band approach to performing, in which he employs live loop sampling and delay pedals to create rhythms, melodies and backing vocals, the EP features Day with a full backing band.

I've seen all three more than once (Howie 5-6 times) and their live shows are outstanding. Howie grew up listening to Joseph Arthur and learned from him how to layer/loop.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Imogen Heap, I'm a fan already! Thanks!

I saw the Shins live this week and it was the most amazing show I've been to in years. If they come your way (new album coming out in January, so they'll be touring), check them out. Best show ever!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Thakns for the tip!

I'm a huge fan of anyone who layers and loops their tracks! The first time I saw anyone do it was about 4 years ago when I saw Howie Day open for The Goo Goo Dolls. I was immediately a huge fan.

Others who are amazing live:

Feist (of Broken Social Scene) www.listentofeist.com She does 2-3 layered songs per show, and she has so much energy. She's incredible.
    Joseph Arthur www.josepharthur.com
    Howie Day www.howieday.com

From Howie's website, regarding his album Live From:

I've seen all three more than once (Howie 5-6 times) and their live shows are outstanding. Howie grew up listening to Joseph Arthur and learned from him how to layer/loop.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Imogen Heap, I'm a fan already! Thanks!

I saw the Shins live this week and it was the most amazing show I've been to in years. If they come your way (new album coming out in January, so they'll be touring), check them out. Best show ever!
    I have a feeling you and I will be fast friends, Stink! I LOVE Howie Day! I take issue a bit with some womanizing he did on his bus in Madison, WI a few years back. I even boycotted for a while(although I still own 3 or 4 albums). But, I just couldn't stay away because he's SO good. But, Immi! She is beyond amazing...and Kid Beyond, the guy who opened for her was phenomenal. I was a bit weirded out at first. But, the moment he said "hella"(totally a NorCal thing!), I was hooked. Actually, it really did take me a few songs to warm up to him. He does his own layers and loops. But, when all is said and done, you feel like you're at a rave and it's ALL HIM(his mouth, I mean)! Check his myspace out! There are no pre-recorded beats here. That's all him!!! He's kinda cute, too! Just to give you an idea, this is almost exactly how the stage looked last night. Imogen Heap is on the left playing piano(in the same cute outfit she wore last night) and Kid Beyond is on the right. For the first time without being under the influence of anything else I felt a wonderful musical euphoria last night! The energy was AMAZING in that stinky, old venue we were at!

• Gay Man

I saw her last year at Coachella. It was a nice break on a hot and busy day. Before that point, I only knew of her through her involvement as one half of Frou Frou. I managed a post Oscar party a few years ago and the Frou Frou CD was one of the "gifts" in the promo bags and Imogen was also at the party. (But I was clueless as to who she was at the time.) I didn't make the connection until right before Coachella last year and had to go back and revisit her Frou Frou recordings as well and sample her solo work. I liked it enough to make time for her at Coachella.

It sounds like I need to see her again in a more "quality" setting..

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I saw her last year at Coachella. It was a nice break on a hot and busy day. Before that point, I only knew of her through her involvement as one half of Frou Frou. I managed a post Oscar party a few years ago and the Frou Frou CD was one of the "gifts" in the promo bags and Imogen was also at the party. (But I was clueless as to who she was at the time.) I didn't make the connection until right before Coachella last year and had to go back and revisit her Frou Frou recordings as well and sample her solo work. I liked it enough to make time for her at Coachella.

It sounds like I need to see her again in a more "quality" setting..
    I've seen some of her solo concerts(or parts of them) on YouTube. They don't do the full band concert justice. For most of the concert she had BOTH opening acts on stage with her. One was Kid Beyond, the other a guy named Levi Weaver. Levi is like a kinda punky John Mayer. He was good! He played his guitar with a violin bow. Immi loves music in all forms and it TOTALLY shows at her concerts. Unfortunately, we won't get to see her for a bit in concert. After this tour she's going to make her next album. But, by the time she goes on tour again we'll be in California. So, Lisa, if she's in SoCal, we should make it a double date!

• Banned User

I love Imogen Heap.

I went to their concert as well, terrific!
    Last edited by EagleWings; 12-17-2006 at 11:43 PM.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

I haven't heard much from IH, but I happen to really enjouy the Frou Frou!! *Lets go* It's so amazing!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Minion

Thanks for the info I've been a fan since I found out about her from the Garden State (the best soundtrack ever!) and OC soundtracks. Her music really stood out on those compilations.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    I haven't heard much from IH, but I happen to really enjouy the Frou Frou!! *Lets go* It's so amazing!
    She sang "Let Go" last night. She is so amazing! I loved her in Frou Frou. But, honestly, her newest album, "Speak for Yourself" is beyond anything musically I've heard. It's funny though! I've been a fan since '98 when she came out with iMegaphone(She sang "Come Here Boy" from that album last night.). She then went on to do the Frou Frou album. Then, she released "Speak for Yourself". She just got nominated for Best New Artist Grammy! Crazy!? She was also nominated for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture for "Can't Take it In" from the Narnia Soundtrack(there's the Disney connection! . Anyway, I love her and her cute accent! She's like a television cook on stage...just cooking up some wonderful music and talking herself through the process until she sings the final product. She is so so so amazing and I am privileged to see her live...and Lisa, I'm serious about that double date. We miss you!!!!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by mousercise View Post
    Thanks for the info I've been a fan since I found out about her from the Garden State (the best soundtrack ever!) and OC soundtracks. Her music really stood out on those compilations.
    I have both of those, too. They get heavy play on my iPod, and that's also how I fell in with the Shins.

Bah, Imogen Heap played here last week on the 5th, so I missed them. My audiophile friend sent out a mass email last month asking if people wanted to go see them, and I didn't take her up on it! Dang! Same two opening acts, too.

Glad someone else still loves Howie Day. I didn't boycott him for his tourbus bad boy behavior, I was just jealous of those girls. Just kidding, but we have met him quite a few times now and he's a little arrogant for someone so freaking young.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
    After this tour she's going to make her next album. But, by the time she goes on tour again we'll be in California. So, Lisa, if she's in SoCal, we should make it a double date!
    YES! We're game! I can't wait for you guys to get to CA!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    YES! We're game! I can't wait for you guys to get to CA!
    We can't wait either!...and Stink...we've got to get together, too!