Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

My Company's Christmas Gift to its Employees

Usually we get something like a bag or a jacket.

This year, because us employees have donated so much money to charity, and the company is so proud of that (paraphrase of what they said) they "gave" us $100 to donate to one of four preselected charities. (I think it said we could donate to any, but I only saw 4 on the web page).

I thought it was a different twist on the holiday gift, as well as a few other things (good and bad) that I'll keep to myself. I don't think I've ever heard of a company doing this before.

I'm also wondering if a press release will be issued around this. Time will tell.

I was curious what your thoughts on this was - an item for the employee vs. a charity donation.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For You!

Re: My Company's Christmas Gift to its Employees

What company do you work for? And I would think that they should give you the choice to either keep the money or donate it. (unless of course the other bonus stuff was good enough)

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Its' all Oprah's fault! Kidding, I think its a great idea. I personally don't even get a holiday bonus, nor do I get the opportunity to contribute to charity as often as I would like, so it sounds pretty cool to me.

Knowing the company you work for NN, I am certain it is at least partly a publicity stunt. I don't expect a company of that size to do something like that and not tell everyone about it. Who are you donating to?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

I don't want to say but it's a big company that makes multi millions. We don't get any other bonus stuff except for our yearly salary ones - which they are pushing from Jan 1. to mid-April with no retroactive pay. We do get quarterly bonus, though, based on how WE do - those vary person to person and are not one set amount like this is.

In general, though, it's a great company and we do get a lot of fun little stuff throughout the year.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Fastest Man Alive

So as a company present they are letting you give the company a tax deduction? I applaud the donating to charity but I would hope that the employees would get something as well.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    Knowing the company you work for NN, I am certain it is at least partly a publicity stunt. I don't expect a company of that size to do something like that and not tell everyone about it. Who are you donating to?
    Haaaa for realz.
    I don't know - I didn't look too closely at the offers. I lean toward children's charities, though, so hopefully that will be a choice. I don't think I'd heard of any of them. Tomorrow I'll have time to research the choices more carefully.

And Wally, I didn't even think of that. That's A LOT of money going to charity - it DOES feel good 'cuz there's no way I can afford $100 a pop to go to charity, so I feel like I am actually doing good. But I didn't even think of the tax thing.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

At least your company didn't sign you up as a member of a "Jelly of the Month" club.

Oh, whatever you do don't give to the Human Fund. I hear its fake.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

we dont' get xmas bonus'
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    This year, because us employees have donated so much money to charity, and the company is so proud of that (paraphrase of what they said) they "gave" us $100 to donate to one of four preselected charities. (I think it said we could donate to any, but I only saw 4 on the web page).

I was curious what your thoughts on this was - an item for the employee vs. a charity donation.

I think it's great that they're rewarding your generosity by allowing you to donate $100 of their money to the charity of your choice, but I don't think the choices should be limited to just 4 just in case there is one you'd rather it go to since they are calling it your money. And I really hope they are letting you have the tax write off if they are calling it your money.

Otherwise , IMO, it's just your company's roundabout way of getting a huge tax write off for themselves instead of giving out Christmas bonuses that they may not be able to write off. And even though it's wonderful that the charities are going to receive money , I don't know if I'd want my employer teling me that she'd made the decision to give my Christmas bonus to one of her four favorite charities instead of me. I'd rather have it be my decision.

It just seems kind of strange to me that they're saying "Because you have given so generously , we are now going to make sure you give some more" since you all obviously already know how to give. Maybe they should have taken their cue from you and said "Because you have all given so generously, we are now going to give generously to both the charities and you!"

• Happy Memories

Call me a cynic if you want, but this just seems like the company being sneaky. The way I see it, either they were already planning to give to charity and are using this method to get around giving you all bonuses. OR it's all about the tax break and PR. Could actually be both I suppose.

Since it's a charitable donation the employees can't complain about not getting a bonus or else the employee looks like the greedy ******* and not the company. It would seem to me that they've struck upon a brilliant greedy business strategy.

Like I said though, I'm a cynic.

• Master Video Slinger

That is a cool little Christmas gift, but yeah like others have said, it's a publicity stunt. As long as it helps some people who cares though?

My company actually gave out Christmas bonuses. It's the first I've ever gotten at any of my jobs. It surprised me because I consider this to be a pretty cheap company.(long story, based on suppling stuff I need to do my job)

Not only that but when I went to pick up my bonus my boss wrangled me into going to the company Christmas party she was planning for all the complexes in our area. She wanted all of her employees to go badly because it reflected on her to her bosses. She lauded the raffle she was hosting, and I said I worked nights, liked to sleep, and never won anything. She let me work half shifts the night before and after, and paid me for full shifts. So I went for the free food.

What was cool was the fact that so few people showed up(all of her employees did though) that we had as many raffle prizes as people. Everyone won something. I got a 90's Trivial Pursuit game, my buddies in maintenance won a tool set and a 80 dollar gift card to Dave and Busters. Then it was time for the Grand Prize - A 3 day all expenses paid cruise to Mexico. Guess who won? The guy who told his boss he never wins anything.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    At least your company didn't sign you up as a member of a "Jelly of the Month" club.

Oh, whatever you do don't give to the Human Fund. I hear its fake.
    Happyy Festivus to the rest of us!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I just came in to post about the whole tax write off thing. If they dont let you take the tax credit, then its a shabby deal IMHO because as XHB said, it sounds like they had planned on donating to charity no matter what and this would be their sneaky way of making the employees feel good without really giving anything up, AND taking the tax credit to boot.

I cant wait to hear what NNL finds out about the tax credit issue.

• I love loop jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Usually we get something like a bag or a jacket.

I thought it was a different twist on the holiday gift, as well as a few other things (good and bad) that I'll keep to myself. I don't think I've ever heard of a company doing this before.

I'm also wondering if a press release will be issued around this. Time will tell.

I'm all for giving to charity but I'm sorry to say that your work really cheaped out and gave you a lame gift. FYI... they're gonna use that donation as a tax deduction. You won't be able to use it as a deduction.
    If they wanted to do something nice they should just give you the $100 and you can decide if you want to donate it to charity or not.
    Like I said... the only reason they are doing it is for a tax deduction.

• I love loop jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    Call me a cynic if you want, but this just seems like the company being sneaky. The way I see it, either they were already planning to give to charity and are using this method to get around giving you all bonuses. OR it's all about the tax break and PR. Could actually be both I suppose.

Since it's a charitable donation the employees can't complain about not getting a bonus or else the employee looks like the greedy ******* and not the company. It would seem to me that they've struck upon a brilliant greedy business strategy.

Like I said though, I'm a cynic.
    You're not a cynic. You're a realist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast