• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Obit: Karl Strauss, 94; master brewer for Pabst helped pioneer microbrew trend

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-pe-california

Karl Strauss, a German brew master who worked for Milwaukee beer giant Pabst Brewing Co. for 44 years before helping craft microbrews for his six namesake brew pubs in Southern California, has died. He was 94.

Strauss died Thursday at his Milwaukee home, Matt Rattner, president of San Diego-based Karl Strauss Brewing Co., said Tuesday. The cause of death was not reported.....

In 1989 Rattner and Cramer, who is chief executive officer, opened the first brewery in San Diego since Prohibition with three brews on tap: Karl Strauss Amber Lager, Gaslamp Gold and Downtown After Dark.

Strauss visited San Diego often and became an enthusiastic spokesman, his beaming face, thick German accent and sunny outlook creating an image the company carefully maintains.

Today Karl Strauss Brewing Co. has four brew pubs in the San Diego area, one in Costa Mesa and one at Universal CityWalk plus a beer garden at Disney's California Adventure theme park in Anaheim. Up to three dozen varieties of beer are brewed throughout the year at the individual bars, and a facility in Pacific Beach brews and bottles six types of beer for retail sales.

Production is still relatively low, at a few thousand barrels per year, compared with the millions running through the siphons at industry behemoths Anheuser Busch, Miller and Coors.

Karl Martin Strauss was born in 1912 in a brewery in Minden, Germany, where his brew master father lived with his family. Strauss studied brewing at a technical institute in Munich and earned a certificate as a master brewer.
    Much more at the link....

And as a personal comment, it was a pleasure to meet this man a few times in my life, and proud to say I did!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Obit: Karl Strauss, 94; master brewer for Pabst helped pioneer microbrew trend

http://www.karlstrauss.com/

For those of us who knew Karl intimately, his joy, zest, and dedication to the highest mastery of brewing beer burn brightly. We relish our time with him and honor the remarkable success and delicious beer we have enjoyed together. For those of you who knew Karl only by name, you can feel his presence in the “symphony of flavors” that his brewing mastery demonstrates. His legacy will endure, and the generous mentoring he offered our brewers and staff will continue to guide us as we move forward. Karl’s passion, values, and good cheer will be forever remembered one pint at a time in the amazing beers we enjoy so much.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Obit: Karl Strauss, 94; master brewer for Pabst helped pioneer microbrew trend

A true artist and craftsman in so many ways. We raise our glasses in toast to his memory, and legacy.

Cheers!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.