Question What do you guys think?

So I have been presented with a dilemna of sorts and I wanted to ask your opinions.

Currently, I work as a substitute teacher while I try to get a classroom of my own. I also work at the YMCA as a day camp leader during the kids' breaks from school and sometimes in the afterschool program when they are short staffed and need help. My friend is a manager at the Coach Store (expensive handbags, wallets, etc) at South Coast Plaza (a mall in Orange County known for it's high end stores). We used to work together at Limited Too in our college days and since she has moved on to Coach she has asked me numerous times to work in her store part time.

Last week she asked me to help her out by working in the stock room of the store. They were shortstaffed and needed help. I decided to help out at the store and earn a little extra money for the holidays. I've worked there for a whole week now and I've had a fun time there. Currently there are about 15 people on staff in the stock room but after the holidays are over they will cut that down to about 7 or 8 people. I know that most of the stock people would like to stay there after the holidays. They have asked me to stay....I'm not sure if I should. I don't really need the money, I kind of only want to stay for the employee discount! haha! I also know that most of the stock staff who want to stay are struggling college students and I feel bad taking the position from one of them.

So...should I take the job, or should I give it up to one of the people who really needs it?

• Banned User

Re: What do you guys think?

honestly? I think if you do not need it, and and you can still get the discount thru your friend I would give it one of the girls who really needs it. But thats just me.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    honestly? I think if you do not need it, and and you can still get the discount thru your friend I would give it one of the girls who really needs it. But thats just me.
    I agree. ANd if you can't get a discount thru your friend there's always coach outlet. A poor starving college student's friend.

• New Old Member

Smile Re: What do you guys think?

It sounds as if everyone is on the same page. The key factor here is "I really don't need the money". It would be good of you to step to the side.

So I told them that I just didn't have the time to take on another job, but they did ask if they could leave me on payroll as a fill in worker. Basically, they will call and ask me to work when no one else can or when people call in sick and stuff.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That sounds like the right solution. Besides, you need to leave your schedule open in case you get a long-term sub position.

Sooo, what did you buy yourself for Christmas??
    A signature should go here.

2 handbags, and a wallet. I'm also contemplating sunglasses and a wristlet....hehe! All using my coach discount of course!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    So I have been presented with a dilemna of sorts and I wanted to ask your opinions.

Currently, I work as a substitute teacher while I try to get a classroom of my own. I also work at the YMCA as a day camp leader during the kids' breaks from school and sometimes in the afterschool program when they are short staffed and need help. My friend is a manager at the Coach Store (expensive handbags, wallets, etc) at South Coast Plaza (a mall in Orange County known for it's high end stores). We used to work together at Limited Too in our college days and since she has moved on to Coach she has asked me numerous times to work in her store part time.

Last week she asked me to help her out by working in the stock room of the store. They were shortstaffed and needed help. I decided to help out at the store and earn a little extra money for the holidays. I've worked there for a whole week now and I've had a fun time there. Currently there are about 15 people on staff in the stock room but after the holidays are over they will cut that down to about 7 or 8 people. I know that most of the stock people would like to stay there after the holidays. They have asked me to stay....I'm not sure if I should. I don't really need the money, I kind of only want to stay for the employee discount! haha! I also know that most of the stock staff who want to stay are struggling college students and I feel bad taking the position from one of them.

So...should I take the job, or should I give it up to one of the people who really needs it?
    It is a dilemma - but I would think you should give it to the folks that really needs it. If they end up keeping all of them, and still have room for you, then that's cool - STAY! But otherwise, if you don't 'need' the income, I'd resign. That's just me personal opinion of course.

And by the way - my wife and I frequent South Coast Plaza! Our favorite place to shop.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    2 handbags, and a wallet. I'm also contemplating sunglasses and a wristlet....hehe! All using my coach discount of course!
    Well, you should go for it before you leave. I mean, if you HAVE to buy some more stuff to make it worth your while...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Well, you should go for it before you leave. I mean, if you HAVE to buy some more stuff to make it worth your while...
    That is sooooo right on.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

You could even go shopping and get some presents for your new internet friends, you know, the ones who encouraged you to go shopping in the first place. Double

Okay, I'll stop now.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Ha - yes, I could use a new wallet.

Haha! Everyone is hitting me up for discounts but Coach counteracts this. Each pay period you get a card called your "allotment card." Basically with each card you can purchase one handbag, leather accessory, non leather accessory, sunglasses, scarf, keychain, etc. I was only there for 2 weeks so I only get 2 of each and I've already used up my 2 handbags, 2 non leather accessories and possibly the 2 leather accessories. But if anyone really wants say....a Coach keychain, scarf, shoes, gloves, watch, etc, message me and I'll see what I can do! hehe!