• Princess of my own world

Tips for starting the New Year

Here's a fun list of superstitions I found on snopes.com Hope everyone enjoys! I know I'm going to try a few

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/newyears/beliefs.asp
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Senior Minion

Re: Tips for starting the New Year

Letting the Old Year Out: At midnight, all the doors of a house must be opened to let the old year escape unimpeded. He must leave before the New Year can come in, says popular wisdom, so doors are flung open to assist him in finding his way out.
    My mom does this. She says that before she married my dad, that his grandmother made her promise that she would do that every year in our household and would teach whatever children she had to do it as well. Yeah, she taught me, and I'll do it sometimes, but my brothers could care less.

Loud Noise: Make as much noise as possible at midnight. You're not just celebrating; you're scaring away evil spirits, so do a darned good job of it!
    This is why we keep some fireworks from the 4th (esp the Neighbor annoyers!!) and set them off at midnight! It's been pouring rain all day long, so hopefully, it'll stop just in time to shoot off a few fireworks.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• >3 Cheesy! <3

Thanks for the superstitions PrncssZ!

ithinksometimes
    yuh have to `lose someone
    completely b.e.f.o.r.e you can
    figure out what they `really
    `----->>|[mean to you]|e e e
    = n =

Hakuna Matata
    [[ IT MEANS NO WORRIES]]

• Directly directed

Wow I never knew any of that. My mom bought black eyed peas yesterday and she said it was for good luck but I never knew the reasoning behind it! Learn something new everyday!

Yeah I never heard of some of these, but we're going to try them tonight. I mean why not couldn't harm anything hehe

Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• no flash photography...

wow.....I don't know what to say....it's kind of sad...most if not all of that is done out of fear....

• decorating

Some I've heard little bits of, but the whole sexist first footer thing killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    Some I've heard little bits of, but the whole sexist first footer thing killed me.

That just showed me how old some of these superstitions are. I wish there was some type of dates we could link to find out when each one emerged.

Wildcat Projects

• no flash photography...

well, my dog took care of our evil spirits...thanks to my nighbors scaring away theirs with such loud vigor.

I totally understand SCUBAbe. In my new neighborhood they like to let off LOTS of fireworks and the illegal ones that shoot in the air. So my dogs went nuts! One of the dogs actually ran through the screen door to the backyard.

Wildcat Projects

• Senior Minion

Police usually find cover under a parking structure or overpass from all the bullets.

Tip for starting your New Year:

Change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Circle of Ancients

Taken with a grain of salt, this was a fun read!

I just read this aloud to everyone and we decided who did what last night and if we did things the right way!

I was the one who made lots of loud noises... and kept the Devil away!