Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Again! Again! Again!

Rose Bowl 2007 Trip Report (picture heavy)

It was Christmas Eve when my dad told my brother and I that he won Rose Bowl tickets in the lottery. He's a season ticket holder for USC games and has been since....forever! Well, he said he wasn't going to and asked if one of us would like them. My brother was going out of town and I said, "Maybe. Let me ask one of my friends if he's interested". That night, I called the fabulous Olympicnut if he was interested. After much debating, he said, "Yes!!" So I told my dad the next day that if the tickets were still up for grabs, I would love to have them. He said, "Their yours."

I went and met my dad on Friday afternoon to pick them up. I give you the tickets to the 93rd Rose Bowl.

I met up with Onut in Arcadia at 10 to drop off a car. I was a little late because I had left the tickets at home. Good thing I wasn't that far! But I made it up there in record time because there wasn't anyone on the freeway!

We had quite the luck that day! As soon as we paid the parking, we were led into the first lot, right near the gate we had to go in. We were parked where the big red circle is. Our gate was gate B, tunnel 26...in the end zone. Not only did we get great parking, we got the prime spot. Rose Bowl parking tends to be in rows of 5...end to end. So if you're the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th car, you're pretty much screwed, cuz you have to wait til the people around you, or in front of you, leave. We were the first car so we were able to just go whenever we got out to the car after the game!!

As soon as we parked we saw this guy and wondered if he knew he was at a college bowl game...not a Charger game.

My mom's friend was having a huge tailgate party where the motor homes are and she invited us to stop by. We found them very quickly and hung out and had some good food!

Afterward, we went back to the car to get our "seats" and sweatshirts. Since we parked so close to the gate, we figured we didn't need to lug them around. We stopped for picture on the walk back.

Then a nice Michigan fan offered to take our picture. Pretty nice since we were all rivalries that day!

As we walked on, former and legendary USC coach John Robinson was getting to the game and stopped to take a picture with a fan (that's him on the phone).

The CHP officers were in a huddle forming a nefarious (for Dmom) plan.

This was the big picture over one of the merchandise booths. I thought it was cool

After getting our stuff out of the car, we headed in the gate and walked up to our tunnel. Right under the infamous Rose Bowl sign.

Between the columns they had all the plaques from all the Rose Bowls played. They had the year, the teams and scores and the MVP on them

Here is the one from 1996. The last Rose Bowl I had gone to

More to come....
    Last edited by Grumpy4; 01-02-2007 at 11:11 PM.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• is on the rocks

Re: Rose Bowl 2007 Trip Report (picture heavy)

Nice! Thanks for sharing pics and report.

I was there in '96 too, although I don't remember much. That was a looooong day for me.
    She did it!

• Again! Again! Again!

Part 2- the Pre-Game
    We then went throught the tunnel and found our seats. We were about halfway up and right between the uprights of the goal posts.

Only 2 sections over was the student section. The all had pom poms on their seats.

Me and Onut excited for the game to start!!

They flashed the teams on the scoreboard and the Goodyear blimp was already in place for the big game.

The press box and a close-up

The USC Trojans were out warming up on the field. The quarterback, John David Booty, gets warmed up.

Then it was huddle time. They were chanting something and getting all psyched up.

USC then went out and got in their calisthenics lines. Then the boos from our end of the field began as the Michigan team ran out on the field and went down and go into their big huddle.

I noticed the flag at half staff in honor of President Ford.

A few minutes later, the cheering started as the USC Trojan Marching Band came out of the tunnel. They walked around, started to sit in their seats, then walked around to the left side of the field for their "show".

"Shiny" tubas in the sun (for MissyC)

Being in a huddle was the thing to do today, cuz the song girls were in one too.

Onut was excited to be at his first Rose Bowl game!!

As the band readied on the sideline, the drum major took the field and struck his pose (he kneels and sticks the sword in the ground). Then he turned to face the band and get them ready.

The band then took the field and put on the show.

Tommy Trojan and Traveler made an appearance at the pregame show

More to come...
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Again! Again! Again!

Part 3- The coin toss and kickoff
    After the band finished, they introduced the President of the Tournament of Roses. They then did a tribute to two Michigan coaches that has passed away in 2006. The big one being Bo Schebechler, another legendary coach. The then gave his wife some type of award. I think he had 13 Rose Bowl appearances in his career as coach (or 13 victories). They kept flashing stuff on the screen, but it went too fast to get the pictures. It was really a touching tribute.

Then the Grand Marshall of the Rose Parade was introduced, George Lucas. He walked out with his 2 kids and...his father? No, Luke and Leia's father, Darth Vader.

Shortly after, the Michigan band took the field and performed. When they stopped, they stayed on the field and the color guard came out with their flags for the National Anthem...Michigan band provided the music. Before they played, the did a nice tribute and a moment of silence for President Ford.

After the National Anthem, 4 F-16s flew over. It was so cool, but what made it even more heartfelt was they flew over in the missing man formation.

Then they set off a few rockets

The teams then came out of their respected tunnels and gathered in yet another huddle.

Time for the Grand Marshall to flip the coin.

USC won the toss and deferred. They chose to defend their end of the field first. Then it was time for kickoff.

Still more to come....
    I bring the magic!!!

• Still wants to be a cat!

WOW.....great pics! Waiting for the rest! So glad you and O-Nut got to go!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Dejavu I swear I saw these pictures before

GREAT SHOTS!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Yay us!!! I had such a great time at my very first RBGame. Not only was I there with my Evil Twin but our team played AND won! It was just amazing. Everything worked out just perfectly all day long. Parking, traffic, weather. The baby Jesus and Tom Cruise were definitely smiling on us.

Thanks ET for inviting me I you (but not that way - EVIL TWINS EVIL TWINS)

• Again! Again! Again!

Part 4-The Game
    I won't bore you with too many play by play details. But I did take pictures of the scoreboard after each score and parts of the game. The first half was fairly boring offensively. It was a very defensive half. USC scored first...a field goal. They were at the wrong end so Onut and I weren't on TV...yet.

The song girls, in their pretty Rose Bowl sweaters, were getting their groove on as the game went on.

Looking through my pictures, I missed the scoreboard shot after Michigan scored a field goal and tied the game 3-3. This was the drive they got when they intercepted the ball at around their own 10-yd line, stealing a touchdown (or another field goal) from USC.

At halftime, the score was still 3-3. I missed the Michigan band playing, but made it back to hear USC playing the theme song from Snakes on a Plane.

The second half of the game was way more exciting...if your a USC fan. They came out of the locker room with a whole new attitude and ran the Michigan defense ragged. USC came out and on their first drive scored a touchdown, but missed the extra point, making the score 10-6.

As usual, when USC scores, Tommy Trojan and Traveler make an appearance. At home games, Traveler usually runs around the whole field, but since it's crowded in the Rose Bowl, he runs about halfway down and back.

During a TV timeout, they flashed a few of the sponsers on the scoreboard. Everyone's favorite theme park got a nod.

As did most everyone's favorite shopping place!

With 5:17 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, USC scored again...and missing the extra point...yet again! Onut kept yelling "You have one job! Just one!!" This made the score 16-3.

Getting later on in the game, Onut and I started getting silly and punchy! The cheerleaders have signs that they hold up that say 'Noise' and 'Louder' so that's what we yelled when they held up the sign. We laughed at each other. If you can't laugh with your Evil Twin, who can you laugh with! I think towards the end of the game, the people in front of us started yelling it too. They were laughing with us!

At the end of the 3rd quarter, USC had scored a field goal. We both yelled, "Yaaayyyy!!! See? It's not that hard!!" and laughed, yet again...silly and punchy I tell ya. This made the score 19-3.

By this time we were getting even more silly. The excitement of possibly winning the game was setting in, but we had a whole quarter to go yet! Sadly, as USC fans, we both had our doubts. We thought that we may lose the game, so we were very happy.

Between the 3rd and 4th quarters, the moon was rising. It was close to being a full moon and was quite pretty.

Still in a silly mood, I took a picture of the button on my sweatshirt.

Final moments of the game coming up....
    I bring the magic!!!

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Yay us!!! I had such a great time at my very first RBGame. Not only was I there with my Evil Twin but our team played AND won! It was just amazing. Everything worked out just perfectly all day long. Parking, traffic, weather. The baby Jesus and Tom Cruise were definitely smiling on us.

Thanks ET for inviting me I you (but not that way - EVIL TWINS
    EVIL TWINS)
    Why you gotta ruin the end of my story?

It truly was a great day and they WERE smiling on us!
    I bring the magic!!!

• Again! Again! Again!

Part 5-The Final Moments
    The 4th quarter got under way and the sun was setting giving us a beautiful sunset and beautiful colors shined on the San Gabriel Mountains.

Michigan decided to fight back and scored a touchdown pretty quick making the score 19-11. They didn't have to test their place kicker, they went for the 2-point conversion and got it.

But USC answered right back with another touchdown. And guess what? The kicker missed the extra point...again! OY!! But they extended their lead to 25-11.

USC was coming back down the field again, and threatening to score.

The lights began to shine on the field and the sun was setting. Our surroundings were beautiful!!! And the Goodyear blimp was still hanging with us.

With just under 3 minutes to go in the game, USC scored again. We all held our breath when the kicker went for the extra point...It's up....It's GOOOOOOD!!! Yaaayyyy!!!! This made the score 32-11.

Since we were having such good luck for the day and the game was pretty much over, we decided to duck out early. If you have ever been to a game or concert at the Rose Bowl, you know it's a pain to get out. Traffic gets really bad. But as we were walking out to the car, there was a little cheering going on. Apparently Michigan scored another touchdown, but it just wasn't enough for the victory. The final score being 32-18.

All in all it was SUCH a GREAT DAY!! I had a blast and was so happy to have spent it with my Evil Twin! And I just have one other thing to say....
    Fight On!!

I bring the magic!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4 View Post
    The song girls, in their pretty Rose Bowl sweaters, were getting their groove on as the game went on.

Where's MissChristine?? Look, they are still wearing those ugly tennis shoes! Why? Why would they do that?
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Excellent TR G4. I like how you broke it down in sections. So USC did play the Snakes on a Plane song, I thought I heard it on tv. Glad to see you guys had a great time. What camera do you use by the way?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• insufferable know-it-all

Best. Football. Trip. Report. Ever.

Makes me almost feel like I didn't miss seeing the first half of the game! (long story, inexcusable I know...)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

NICE!!! Great pics, thanks for sharing them ! I LOVED the game and i'm super jealous right now! hehehe

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

G4 - great trip report and pictures. I'm glad you and O-nut had a great time together and all. I've never had the chance to go to a Rose Bowl game myself so I am somewhat envious but obviously I did not enjoy the outcome of the game as much as you did.

I think it is written in stone somewhere that Michigan is not meant to win a Rose Bowl game against a traditional Pac 10 opponent, especially USC.

By the way - and this may be better suited for the college football thread - how'd you like seeing the team that kept you out of the BCS title game, giving up 44 points to Florida State?
    Y'know, the team that held you to, um, nine?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast