Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: San Diego Trip Planning Help Needed! Zoo? Beach?

Coronado is pretty, but it's way out of the way for what it is.

I still prefer Mission Beach which is across the street from Mission Bay, for a first time visit there is more bang for the buck.

For a non tourist beach yes La Jolla is georgous, but so is Sunset Cliffs (just down the road from Mission Beach)

I don't really care for OB (a boardwalks walk from Mission) but I HATE PB (Ghetto head shops and and homeless hangouts)

**edit: can anyone tell me why the first pic I post in a thread only comes up as a link, but the rest post fine?

Every Tuesday different museums in Balboa Park are free to the public and they are always interesting to go see. Just check their website to see what events are taking place during the time you'll be here.
    www.balboapark.org

For the beach I usually go to La Jolla Shores or Del Mar. Torrey Pines is a nice place to go hiking.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Coronado is pretty, but it's way out of the way for what it is.

I still prefer Mission Beach which is across the street from Mission Bay, for a first time visit there is more bang for the buck.

For a non tourist beach yes La Jolla is georgous, but so is Sunset Cliffs (just down the road from Mission Beach)

I don't really care for OB (a boardwalks walk from Mission) but I HATE PB (Ghetto head shops and and homeless hangouts)

**edit: can anyone tell me why the first pic I post in a thread only comes up as a link, but the rest post fine?

So, Mission Beach is the one with the little rides and attractions, then next to that is Pacific?

Murphy has NEVER been to CA, so I want to give her a good feel of SD. Is mission the place to do that?

Also, as a visitor, would it be dumb to stay in the Gas Lamp area, and just drive to the beach, or is that a big hassle? I know there is a TON to do in Gas Lamp, but Murphy is all about the beach.

Thanks, as usual you guys are awesome.

• That Guy

Ok, another random question.

Can anyone reccomend a cool bike shop in SD? Murphy wants to rent beach cruisers to ride, but I want to secretly by her one, so when we leave, she has a new bike as a souvenior. Best of all, I will know exactly which bike she likes since she was able to look at all of them while we are renting.

There are (were?)a few bike rental/sales shops at Mission Beach (on the boardwalk. PLus Mission has the bay literatly across the street, with some nice parks to walk around, SHops, Roller COaster, resturants. There is even a SWIMMING POOL if you wanted to take a dip into non-salty water.

Ride you bike north on the boardwalk and you end up at Ocean Beach which is not as nice as Mission, but nice none the less, you ride your bike south and you almost end up in icky Pacific Beach.

At Mission you are also close to Sea World.

• FastPass n00b

La Jolla is hands down the best beach in San Diego county. The name means "The Jewel" in Spanish and they mean it. It's farther north than San Diego, but it's well worth the extra distance. Now, the people who live there are generally upper class elitists, they consider La Jolla to be completely separate from San Diego even though La Jolla is not even its own city (it's a community within the city of San Diego), but the area is just breathtaking.

I would really plan to spend some time in Balboa Park, where the Zoo is located. It contains museums (art, history, science), restaurants, beautiful fountains, and is just generally a great place to walk around. Downtown San Diego is not bad in my opinion, as long as you stick to the Gaslamp District you'll be perfectly safe. There's also Horton Plaza, Seaport Village (please don't miss this one), Belmont Park (Mission Beach), Coronado (a peninsula, not an island), Old Town, San Diego Wild Animal Park (in Escondido), and Fashion Valley. You can spend a week in San Diego just walking around taking in the sights, lol.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Ok, another random question.

Can anyone reccomend a cool bike shop in SD? Murphy wants to rent beach cruisers to ride, but I want to secretly by her one, so when we leave, she has a new bike as a souvenior. Best of all, I will know exactly which bike she likes since she was able to look at all of them while we are renting.

Ok, that's the cutest thing I have ever heard. I purchased my beach cruiser on Mission Boulevard. If you're standing at the rollercoaster and you can see a Jack in the Box...walk across to that side of the street, and walk down about a block or so. There is a very small shop that rents/sells bikes right there. I got mine there for 120 bucks, and that included the basket on the front.

• xmanmom

My honey and I also love San Diego, although we usually can't afford to stay anywhere near the beach. For my money, if I could afford it, I would stay somewhere in La Jolla for beach views. I love the ocean and of all of the beaches I have seen, none gave me the feeling that La Jolla did. I wanted to just float out into the water and live there. Don't miss brunch at Brockton Villa, simply the best views and some of the best breakfast food I have ever eaten. Try their Coast Toast if you want to swoon. Here is their website.

I second the suggestion Migo made about taking your honey to The Prado for dinner. That is my all time favorite romantic dinner spot in SD. It is right in Balboa Park so it is convienent after the zoo, museums or before catching a play at The Old Globe (which I HIGHLY recommend if you are into theatre at all, here is their website). For something really magical ask for a seat out on the patio. Gorgeous and the food is delish too! You can make reservations fairly far out. Read more here.

In the gaslamp district I would recommend Cafe Sevilla for a nice meal of tapas. The interior is quite romantic as well. Here is their website.

Have a fabulous time, take lots of pictures (all of them will be beautiful, I assure you) and give us a report when you get back!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Hi guys!! I am taking my first trip with my new SO.

We are going to DLR for a day, and then over to San Diego where we know we want to go to the zoo.

Any tips on cool beaches, zoo insider info, things not to miss, etc?

All info would be greatly appreciated, I want this trip to be amazing, as she is an amazing girl.

Congratulations on your new SO ! What fun!

My family and I were just in San Diego with our friends the Hamands about a week ago. They took us to Lego land and we thought that was a lot of fun there! We also drove along the coast highway at sunset on the way back to their house and that was very pretty!

I bet you will have a great time no matter what you decide to do since you're with the right person for you!

If you're standing at the rollercoaster and you can see a Jack in the Box...
    I used to live in a 1964 VW bus at Mission Beach. I lived on 99 cent Jumbo Jacks from that Jack in the box, and I would get my little groceries at the little supermarket across the street, and I would go swiming at "The Plunge" where the water was heated to 90 degress (f)

• xmanmom

Oh and I almost forgot...The Wild Animal Park is also a lot of fun and, I think, if you have season passes for the Zoo it either also gives you entry to the Wild Animal Park or at least a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Oh and I almost forgot...The Wild Animal Park is also a lot of fun and, I think, if you have season passes for the Zoo it either also gives you entry to the Wild Animal Park or at least a discount.
    The Zoo and the Park are both run by the Zoological Society of San Diego - so the membership benefits include free admission to both parks for one year.

And I'll second that - the Wild Animal Park is absolutely breathtaking. The entire San Diego Zoo (or Disneyland, for that matter) would fit in one of the large 100+ acre Africa enclosures.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234