Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• That Guy

Question San Diego Trip Planning Help Needed! Zoo? Beach?

Hi guys!! I am taking my first trip with my new SO.

We are going to DLR for a day, and then over to San Diego where we know we want to go to the zoo.

Any tips on cool beaches, zoo insider info, things not to miss, etc?

All info would be greatly appreciated, I want this trip to be amazing, as she is an amazing girl.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: San Diego Trip Planning Help Needed! Zoo? Beach?

Congrats on the new honey!!!!

Zoo: it is definitely worth it to pay for the guided buss tour. Not because the tour is that great, but because you can then use the hop-on hop-off bus around the zoo later in the day. It really saves time, and your legs!

Also, ask what time the polar bears and giraffes are being fed that day. For a small fee, you can purchase an acacia branch and the giraffes will eat our of your hand! The polar bear feeding is an experience not to be missed either. It's probably the best time to see them in action.

Twilight is probably the best time to watch the big cats, as they are nocturnal creatures, and more active then.

The meerkat exhibits are fantastic. They are where Disney animators came to study their behavior before creating The Lion King. And the meerkat's antics are soooooo funny.

The food at the Zoo is not so hot. Your best bets are Alfred's (if you're feeling fancy, and rich), or Sydney's.

If you have any other questions, just let me know... I used to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Coronado by the Del has the best beach.

Take comfortable shoes and jackets to the Zoo. It can get pretty chilly in the canyons. Take the bus tour first to get the lay of the land. Go to the monky mesa and see the monkees do perverted things. Spend the money and eat at Albert's. Nicest place to eat in the Zoo..
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Congrats on the new honey!!!!

Zoo: it is definitely worth it to pay for the guided buss tour. Not because the tour is that great, but because you can then use the hop-on hop-off bus around the zoo later in the day. It really saves time, and your legs!

Also, ask what time the polar bears and giraffes are being fed that day. For a small fee, you can purchase an acacia branch and the giraffes will eat our of your hand! The polar bear feeding is an experience not to be missed either. It's probably the best time to see them in action.

Twilight is probably the best time to watch the big cats, as they are nocturnal creatures, and more active then.

The meerkat exhibits are fantastic. They are where Disney animators came to study their behavior before creating The Lion King. And the meerkat's antics are soooooo funny.

The food at the Zoo is not so hot. Your best bets are Alfred's (if you're feeling fancy, and rich), or Sydney's.

If you have any other questions, just let me know... I used to work there.
    Hype,

You rock the party that rocks the party. Thanks so much for the great info, I really appreciate it. The Zoo looks amazing! I was checking it out online, and it seems really world class. I have never seen animals like that in person. Being from Phx, we don't see polar bears.... I will totally check and see when they are being fed. Do I check that at the front gates?

Also, I am guessing this is an all day type deal, right? I am planning on getting there before it opens, that seems like a safe bet.

Is it dumb to stay at a hotel on the beach and then drive to the zoo, as opposed to staying near the zoo? We will be spending lots of time at the beach, and I will have my SUV. Is it tricky/far to drive to the zoo?

Thanks!!!!

Max, if you want to stay at the beach, stay at the beach. It's not too tricky to get to the zoo from anywhere, there are tons of signs. If you are going to make hotel reservations ahead of time, just mapquest directions from the hotel to the zoo. The zoo is awesome! Just a thought, you might want to look into zoo membership--it is only $86 for 2 adults in the same household (or who can both get their mail at the same address.....) and is completely tax deductible. AND, it includes admission into the wild animal park if you got bored and wanted to go there......

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by awesomemama View Post
    Max, if you want to stay at the beach, stay at the beach. It's not too tricky to get to the zoo from anywhere, there are tons of signs. If you are going to make hotel reservations ahead of time, just mapquest directions from the hotel to the zoo. The zoo is awesome! Just a thought, you might want to look into zoo membership--it is only $86 for 2 adults in the same household (or who can both get their mail at the same address.....) and is completely tax deductible. AND, it includes admission into the wild animal park if you got bored and wanted to go there......

Thanks very much, we want to stay near the ocean. I don't know SD well, but I have stayed near Pacific Beach a few times, and I liked it. It didn't seem to shady/creepy and it wasn't all hippied out like Ocean Beach, which was gross.

Does anyone have any good hotel recommendations? I last stayed at 'The Surfer' and it was ok, decent room, on the beach. I don't like Motel 6 type places.

Also, thanks for the idea of joining the zoo, it's a cool idea, and Murphy will love it. We plan on hitting SD a few times over the summer, so like an AP, this will pay for itself. I wonder if there is a discount with AAA like when you purchase one day tickets.

No, no AAA discount for membership at the zoo. But, like I said, the whole thing is tax deductible, because they call it a donation with perks (which the IRS doesn't think are significant enough to stop you from claiming the whole amount as a donation). As far as hotels, when we want to stay on the beach we always get a house, I think it's more fun.

• That Guy

Thanks very much, I guess I will start Googling beach rentals in the area, unless you have a site to recommend?

Also, I just checked out the Zoo site, for out of towners, it is $99 to join, which I still think is a steal, since you get in for a year! Thanks again SO much for the inside tip, I would have never thought of it, and she will be very excited.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Hype,

You rock the party that rocks the party. Thanks so much for the great info, I really appreciate it. The Zoo looks amazing! I was checking it out online, and it seems really world class. I have never seen animals like that in person. Being from Phx, we don't see polar bears.... I will totally check and see when they are being fed. Do I check that at the front gates?

Also, I am guessing this is an all day type deal, right? I am planning on getting there before it opens, that seems like a safe bet.

Is it dumb to stay at a hotel on the beach and then drive to the zoo, as opposed to staying near the zoo? We will be spending lots of time at the beach, and I will have my SUV. Is it tricky/far to drive to the zoo?

Thanks!!!!
    The SD Zoo is by far the best one in the country, perhaps the world. It leaves every other zoo I've been to in the dust.

Yes, check at the front gates for feeding times. They should be able to tell you all about it.

Since it's off season, you could probably do the zoo in 2/3 of a day, but plan on a whole day just to be safe.

There are no hotels near the Zoo unfortunately. It's in an area called Balboa park which is huge. The community surrounding it is all residential, one side is lovely (North Park), the other in downtown is a little scary. I'd go ahead and stay near the beach and drive. Depending on what beach you go to, it won't be too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I use vrbo.com a lot

• official corn dog taster

eat at rockys crown pub in pacific beach on ingram...best burger in SD...its a dive but always packed so go early
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

If you go to the beach in Coronado, check for motels in Coronado. The ride over the bridge is spectacular.Make sure you catch the Pandas at the zoo. All the canyons lead to the exhibit. Don't forget that there are two neat giftsuops at the exit and she will want to shop. Take extra cash. Enjoy the greatest collection of animals in the US.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHearts View Post
    If you go to the beach in Coronado, check for motels in Coronado. The ride over the bridge is spectacular.Make sure you catch the Pandas at the zoo. All the canyons lead to the exhibit. Don't forget that there are two neat giftsuops at the exit and she will want to shop. Take extra cash. Enjoy the greatest collection of animals in the US.

***DUMB QUESTION ALERT

Ok, keep in mind I live in the desert, and we have NO water here.

Is Coronado like a beach, or is it a bay kind of thing? I drove by something once, and it looked like a horse shoe surrounding water, where there really wasn't waves coming in, etc. I wasn't sure if that was what Coronado was. Is that a good place to stay?

Thanks!

• Mexihick, y'all

Max, Max, Max. First off, don't stay near the Zoo. The nice thing about San Diego is that no matter where you are, you're only about 15 minutes from anything else.

Second, let me check and see if I have any free passes at home (with a year pass you get all kinds of stuff...free passes, discounted things).

Third, don't pay for a beach rental, too expensive. I would recomment staying at the Bahia hotel down in Pacific Beach. Get a room right out on the bay.

http://www.bahiahotel.com/guest0.htm...=nav2&sub=sub0

Don't do anything downtown or Hotel Circle. The ONLY reason to stay downtown would be if you were to stay at a boutique hotel, other than that FORGET IT.

Anything else, just ask me.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    ***DUMB QUESTION ALERT

Ok, keep in mind I live in the desert, and we have NO water here.

Is Coronado like a beach, or is it a bay kind of thing? I drove by something once, and it looked like a horse shoe surrounding water, where there really wasn't waves coming in, etc. I wasn't sure if that was what Coronado was. Is that a good place to stay?

Thanks!

Coronado is our island. You get there by either driving to South Bay and up on the Silver Strand, or by taking the Coronado Bridge (which is now free). It's home to NASNI (North Island Naval Air Station) which has all our carriers. Further down on the strand you'll find out Seals. (Navy seals, not the black slippery fellows that arf arf for fish).

The hotels on Coronado are mighty pricey, the grand daddy of them all being the Hotel Del Coronado.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast